38 replies to this topic

#31 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 09:23 PM

Out of high school I worked for the wife's uncle cleaning carpet and installing flooring for 2 years. (95-97)  Then went to Tech College for Heavy Equipment for 2 years.  (97-99)  Got a part time job at Central Tractor while I was going to school.  Store I worked at went through all the changes from Central Tractor to Quality Farm and Country till it went bankrupt and the store was liquidated and bought by Tractor Supply Company.  Started as a shelf stocker and when I left I was opening and closing the store and making deposits, etc,etc.  Basically everything the managers did just without the pay rate.  Worked in the same building for 3 different companies for 9 years. (97-06) Left there to work for a good friend at his Ferris, Toro, Husqvarna, Hustler shop to work into a mechanic position.  Only worked there about 6 months as things didn't work out.  Left there and went to work as a truck driver for a small lumber yard and millwork business for 7 years.  (06-13)  Got a call one day from the guy I now work with asking if I was still interested in a job which I had applied for in 05 but did not get.  I accepted the offer and left the lumber yard for my current job as a road maintenance and sewer plant operator for a local township.  Been there for the past 2 years and I wouldn't trade or go back to any of the former jobs.  I get along great with the people I work with and love what I am doing.  In fact 3 of the people I work with are also former employees of the same lumber yard and 1 of those 3 I also worked with for 6 years at Tractor Supply.  Plus I make more money before any overtime than I did at any of the previous jobs.  Wouldn't trade it for a minute.

Edited by IHCubGuy, June 29, 2015 - 09:30 PM.

• MH81, Alc, Chris11 and 2 others have said thanks

#32 EricR ONLINE  

EricR
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9495
  • 393 Thanks
  • 278 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 07:49 PM

I am an oxygen fill tech for praxair. I fill liquid and high pressure cylinders for the medical and welding ind.  Been at it for almost 14 years but some day I want to try something else as this job will make an old man out of ya quick, lol.

• Chris11 and Cvans have said thanks

#33 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • Member No: 62323
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 08:44 AM

Diesel Exhaust Aftertreatment engineer

Making the world a cleaner place one machine at a time :-)
  • Chris11, Cvans and oldedeeres have said thanks

#34 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 09:50 AM

Diesel Exhaust Aftertreatment engineer

Making the world a cleaner place one machine at a time :-)

Hopefully your design works better than Chevy.  Buddy just bought a brand new 2015 F250 super crew 6.7 power stroke to replace his GMC Duramax after spending a few thousand getting the stock system fixed, then spending 4,000 to delete it after it broke again. 

• Chris11 said thank you

#35 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 10:02 AM

Ouch!

I work with off highway equipment which is built to a much more robust standard :-)
  • Chris11 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#36 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • Member No: 51604
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 12:51 PM

[quote name="Chris11" post="586967" timestamp="1435519796"]

So I work for a vintage race car shop. Once owned by j giels yes from the band. I run the machine shop and can do fab work and everything else. Check it out. Show us all what you do. Www.ktrmotorsports.com[/quo

I used to work at the apple orchard next door to his race shop during high school. Groton is a beautiful town!
  • Chris11 said thank you

#37 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 06:02 PM

I grew up on a small farm. My dad died when I was 14. I farmed it myself the following year while I was in school. We had the best corn crop ever that year, but I was afraid I couldn't get it done if we had a bad year, so we rented the ground to a big farmer the following year and I went to work for him. Been having a lot of regrets for giving up too easy lately.

I started driving a truck for that farmer in 1978. In no certain order - I've worked on 4 different farms for a total of 5 years, owned my own semi for 16 years, professional welder for 1 1/2 years, worked in a sawmill for 5 years (drove their truck at night after work), had a lumber drying and milling business for 5 years, ran heavy equipment at one of the farms.

I've been running long deliveries (up to 1700 miles away) for a building supply company for the last 5 1/2 years. I'm really close to 4 million miles since I started driving at 18. I have a quarter acre garden to keep busy on weekends.

Edited by freedhardwoods, July 06, 2015 - 06:05 PM.

• Alc, Chris11, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#38 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 07:32 PM

Been having a lot of regrets for giving up too easy lately.

Don't be too hard on yourself. You were young and probably had almost no experience in the business world. Like you said, one bad year would have put all of you in a bad situation. 

• Chris11 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#39 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 08:13 PM

15 is awfully young to have to decide anything!

Sounds like you've been able to do many productive and interesting things in your career
  • Chris11 and Cvans have said thanks