#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,728 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 12:21 PM

Has anyone on here had any experience with one of the prefab metal buildings? I was looking at "better barns" (they advertise a lot on Craigslist) and their buildings seem pretty reasonable. For $4500 I can get a 20'X24' with 9' walls, 2 garage doors, a regular sized door and they set it up for you. I even have close to $4500 but it is something to think about and save for.

My question is, we have always wanted to build onto the house, but there is no way we could ever afford to (our house is a old 1900's farm house that isn't anything fancy) We are talking about getting one of the 20x24x9 and attaching it to the side of the house. We would do this the right way by building a concrete foundation and all of that. I have a backhoe and a concrete mixer so for the most part the foundation would be fairly cheap and easy.  We would of course finish the inside with Sheetrock and ect. With any luck I could finally get me a pool table that I've wanted forever  :thumbs: 

A friend just got a 20x24x9 a few months ago and it looks great,

LINK TO BETTER BARNS http://www.betterbar...-style-garages/

(looking at the tan and brown one)

What is everyone thoughts on this? thanks

• hamman and laurarg3 have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 01:59 PM

I have been tempted too but I've learned some about them. If they give you what they promise and what meets code for your area, they can be nice. I have come across a couple of instances where the buildings were not as promised. This was discovered when they collapsed under snow load. You have to be very carefull with all contractors but the metal buildings industry seems to have more than their share of hit and run salesmen. Attaching sheetrock to a metal building may require some special work. I do not recall ever seeing that.

Look at the cost of doing a stick built addition. It will probably be easier and look better. You may be able to make the addition super insulated and passive solar heated to save on winter heating.

As I said, I've considered it for a barn but, each time I went through the numbers, the stick built cost a little more but was a much better structure. The big money was that the stick built had a full basement. I have seen someone up the road put up a metal barn and it took them quite awhile. I do not know why. Good Luck, Rick

• BTS said thank you

#3 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 02:10 PM

http://www.elephantstructures.com

I have seen these before. Know 2 people who have had then built. They are very happy. Not sure on building codes we don't have to worry about that.

But they came size shape ect and were exactly as ordered. I was looking at a big one with 2 doors. Only thing stopping me is the concrete price
  • BTS said thank you

#4 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 03:07 PM

Versa Tube has buildings available also. My son is looking to buy one of their buildings and finishing it with the siding and doors he wants. Check them out. Good luck. A good garage is a must for working on and keeping your tractors dry and safe.                                                                                                    Roger                                                                           

• BTS said thank you

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 07:50 PM

Be cautious using something like this for living space.....It may not meet building code in your area....or any area for that matter.

Not trying to discourage you, just want to make sure you cover all bases before you start.

• hamman and BTS have said thanks

#6 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 07:55 PM

The locale Curtis lumber here sells pre-made garage kits in wood for around the same money.  I would be leery of using something like that as a home, when you insulate it you will have trouble with condensation on the interior walls. look into a traditional building or even a prefab steel building.  like an actual columns and trusses steel structure building with the insulation and all.  a good friend of mine just bought a 24'x44' building with 9' walls and all the insulation for under 30k.  do your research and good luck

Pete

• Alc, hamman and BTS have said thanks

#7 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 08:09 PM

Do research on pole barns for living spaces. Lots of information. Good friend of mine just finished the general structure of a 30x40 2 story pole barn. Had it built for 30,000 plus the cost of the concrete floor.

Bottom is classic pole barn post. Steel beam across the center and a stick built 2nd story. We hung a lot dry wall

He is using it as a gun room downstairs and the upstairs is his wife's.

Edited by toomanytoys84, June 28, 2015 - 08:13 PM.

• BTS said thank you

#8 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,728 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 07:28 AM

Thanks for all the info, I will contact the county, but I know they aren't very strict on building codes. Putting up sheet rock shouldn't be to bad, if I just build false walls inside. Also I will put in a ceiling and that will give me some attic space. Like I said, this isn't a project for next month or anything, I doubt I will be able to afford this for a long while.

Thanks again

• olcowhand said thank you