• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • Member No: 51604
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 05:27 AM

I am considering getting a Ariens GT.  With Condition aside is there a better model than others.  A better motor, year, etc...

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 09:26 AM

Hope it is the bigger Red Plastic hood ones you are asking on?  Stay away from the KT17 twins, they are all blown-up or will be in short order most times. Think an 18 or 20 twin is better.  There are other postings on here about this brand, I suggest going and looking thru them.  Ariens was popular in WI where I was from, with good local dealers, yet not so popular down here in IN where I live now.  Seems attachments are a little harder to find. You should go to big Tractor shows and swap-meets to look for such items.

#3 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 02:20 PM

If it isnt a walk behind snow blower, Ariens machines are also literally non existent in IL.  I have a '85 GT19.

I see plenty on Craigslist for WI and Iowa,

other members here saying that one of the east coat states seem to be plentiful for Ariens machines (Maryland?) 

I got mine out of Iowa and am having to piece Ariens - particular things together  which makes it more expensive to fix up.

My most immediate needs are a hood a 3 point setup and (I think) that time delay thing, that ties into the idiot proof system.

There was a guy about 1-1/2 hours south of me that had a snow blower, cab, factory issue Ariens rear weight box, and a whole lot more that I can't remember 6 months after the fact (everything but a tractor to put them on it, seemed)  I bid on this Ebay auction to like $600 (more$$ than I had available for tractor stuff at the time/ that is another story) and lost badly. 

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,559 Thanks
  • 3,940 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 07:12 PM

I think it depends on your preference. Do you prefer the Kohler K series, or a newer Magnum twin for an engine. The S series would have the K series engine with fiberglass fenders and hood. The GT series had the twins with metal fenders and hood. The Grand Sierra was the last run of garden tractors for Ariens. Like was said above, the early twins were troublesome. All three are in what they called the 931 series, all the model numbers started with 931. It is all the same basic frame with upgrades through the years. All the attachments model numbers start with 831 and  switch between the S, GT and GS without adaptors. 

The newer you are, the better the upgrades.

#5 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 350 Thanks
  • 356 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 08:59 AM

I agree with Shorty.  I personally like the K series engines as they are easy to maintain/service in the tractor.  Also, if you get a GT without power steering & a M or KT series twin, it will be a little harder to steer with the extra weight of the twin cylinder engine up front.  I have a GT18 with the K361 single OHV 18HP and love it.  It has plenty of power and steers easy without PS.  HP would depend on what you want to do with the tractor.

#6 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • Member No: 51604
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 09:07 AM

I agree the k series are great and more user friendly. Should I be worried about shaft drive/or electrical problems? I feel like I have read about these type of problems.

#7 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 350 Thanks
  • 356 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 11:21 AM

The shaft drive implements are nice as long as you properly maintain/grease/inspect everything.  I like the fact that I can cut heavy grass without worrying about a deck drive belt slipping.  The right angle gear boxes on the mower decks tend to whine a little (some more than others), but I can look past that.

I have Ariens tractors with & without safety interlocks.  The ones without had the interlocks/switches/modules removed/bypassed by the previous owner before I got them.  I haven't had any issues with my tractors that have interlocks.  Although...I use one without for most of my everyday tasks.  It's just more user friendly.  As far as worrying goes...any tractor with safety switches/modules will eventually give you some grief.  You should expect it at some point.  =)  Switches and parts do wear and eventually go bad...on all brands and colors of tractors.

• shorty said thank you

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,559 Thanks
  • 3,940 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 12:16 PM

I had trouble with the flex couplers on  my drive shaft. But I think if I had checked it for wear like I do with a belt drive, I wouldn't have had the trouble. Even though it will last longer than a belt, it is a wear point. The shaft drive mower decks make it easy to hookup.

#9 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 10, 2015 - 11:56 PM

I bought a running GT 18 with a deck and scabbed-together snow plow a couple months ago.  The previous owner didn't use it much--mainly for the grandkids to ride, but he ran it without the air cleaner!!! (Grrrr!!!).  And, the hydro whines...

ARIENS GT18 LH 20150619.jpg

But, I love the power steering!!!! It isn't quite as nimble as my Cub Cadet 1862, but it has more power with the Kohler Magnum 18.  I picked up a Kohler Command 18 to replace it when it dies.

I also have a GT19 with a daylight block--I bought an 18 hp Honda to go in it...

Ariens Tractor Sweepster (8).jpg

The 3 ph isn't a problem... I had a set of lift arms that Pager 450 gave me--I think they came off a later series Cub Cadet--they fit fine.  For lift arm links I bought a couple of adjustable lift arm links from Tractor Supply Co.  They're fairly short 11" or so closed, and cost about $30 each.  Only fly in the ointment is that the threads, the holes, and the pins are all metric.  I bored the holes out to 5/8" and slapped 'em on.  Both tractors already have the lift arms for the 3ph.

BTW, the hoods on both my Ariens GTs are fiberglass--not metal. 

Regards,

Smitty

• rustyoldjunk and shorty have said thanks

#10 Semcx OFFLINE  

Semcx
  • Member No: 59067
  • 13 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 12:10 AM

I also have a GT19 with the inspection window in the side of the block LOL

• rustyoldjunk and tom tractor have said thanks

#11 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 09:45 PM

I also have a GT19 with the inspection window in the side of the block LOL

Yeah, when you let daylight in, the engine doesn't run very good... similar thing happens when you let the magic smoke out of electric motors....

Smitty