• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelBeck OFFLINE  

MichaelBeck
  • Member No: 69804
  • 110 Thanks
  • 114 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 11:50 PM

Okay folks, Have a couple of issues with my rear end on the tractor. I am not concerned about the first issue but if anyone has any ideas about the 2nd/3rd that would be great. I will be away a few days from posting this but will respond back to any posts on Wednesday.

#1: My rear end - wheels specifically are very loose - I can wobble them back and forth and there is a bunch of play there. This developed today after about 2hrs of use which included 4-6 uses of the controlled differential being wound up. It was unwound when not required. Surface was loose soil. There was no play prior to use today. Any ideas as to why it became loose so quickly? Or just reset the rear end adjustment and be done with it. I will do that but I wouldn't mind working out as to why it came so loose in the first place.

#2- It can be quite hard to shift between gears. This is a fairly new issue, started after I pulled all the covers off the gearbox, removed shift lever etc. It is not specific to any one gear and whilst it will always slip easily into one, sometimes selecting another requires quite a sharp tug to get it in. This was existing well before issue #1 so I don't think they are related.

#3- Have a bit of a oil leak developing, it drips off the RH rear engine bolt. Is not the governor seal or breaker box/ breather plate. Will degrease and take a closer look. Anyone seen a similar leak before though?

• laurarg3 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 10,041 Thanks
  • 7,670 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 05:57 AM

Look in this Manual  http://gardentractor...anual-552875-1/  Good Luck, Rick

• MichaelBeck said thank you

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,362 Thanks
  • 4,602 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 06:52 AM

#1;  Make sure the rear wheel play is in the axel and not the hub.  I had the right side that I found loose on my 1050 after end play adjustment and had to use a bushing under the original washer to snug it up.

#2:  Any time there is pressure against any of the gears in these transaxles they are hard to shift.  Usually if you release the clutch a bit and then try it they will go right in.  Loose soil conditions could easily apply pressure against the gears and not want to allow the change.

#3:  Your on the right track to finding the seepage.  Personally, I don't get to excited about a little oil seepage.  Clean it off periodically and keep an eye on it.  If it get worse and really starts to drip, then go after it.  My opinions - good luck with your tractor.

• Alc, boyscout862 and MichaelBeck have said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,934 Thanks
  • 17,302 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 10:29 AM

As mentioned above check if its actually just hub wobble or actual axle endlpay slop.

The gears in these are straight cut and sometimes require you to let off the clutch and try shifting again , its completely normal

As for the leak check your bolts that are holding the belt guides on the engine block, one of them goes through the block and will leak if not tight

• boyscout862 and MichaelBeck have said thanks

#5 MichaelBeck OFFLINE  

MichaelBeck
  • 110 Thanks
  • 114 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 04:27 AM

Thanks for your replies - The oil leak isn't bad, im not that concerned about it, likewise with the gearshift, more just being curious if its the norm.

Coming back to the rear axle - I have attached a pic highlighting where it wobbles from. The bit I am perplexed about is that since I had the tractor I've done a heap of driving, did the end play, did a heap more driving and its come loose all of a sudden in the space of 60minutes. However seeing the specific location might help identify what's occurring here.

Attached Thumbnails

• 320353368.jpg

Edited by MichaelBeck, June 30, 2015 - 04:30 AM.

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,362 Thanks
  • 4,602 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 07:25 AM

I would say you have hub wobble and not axle end play wobble. A shim under the large washer will take care of it on the right hand side. Not sure how to handle it on the left hand side as I have never dealt with wobble in that area. Good luck.

#7 MichaelBeck OFFLINE  

MichaelBeck
  • 110 Thanks
  • 114 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 02:17 AM

Is it worth trying the end play adjustment to tighten it all up do you reckon? Surely it couldn't just spring loose so quickly without a better reason though...

Edited by MichaelBeck, July 04, 2015 - 02:17 AM.

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,934 Thanks
  • 17,302 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 07:57 AM

Is there a gap forming where you circled in the pic?

If so that's axle endplay , I would make the adjustment again

You may need a shim on that differential side

• MichaelBeck said thank you

#9 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,362 Thanks
  • 2,209 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 08:41 AM

I hope it's not a broken axle shaft !!!

Rear-axle end play does not usually cause wheel wobble - - worn bushings or hubs will.

I suggest re-adjusting the end play, then jacking the rear tires off the ground.  .....Start the engine and put the tractor in gear.

With the differential lock knob in the left rear wheel backed-out (counter-clockwise), the differential  should drive only one of the wheels, while the other wheel is held stationary.

When the differential lock knob is tightened (clock-wise), both wheels should be rotating, and it should be very difficult to hold either wheel stationary.

While the tires are off the ground, try rocking each wheel side-to-side, top-to-bottom, and in/out.  .....These should provide insight into where the wobble is.

Let us know what you find.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#10 MichaelBeck OFFLINE  

MichaelBeck
  • 110 Thanks
  • 114 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 11:24 PM

Cheers for your help folks - I re did the end play adjustment which sorted out 90% of the wobble and removing the wheels and cleaning behind them and re mounting did the rest.

Have removed engine to deal with the oil leak and do a little tidying while I am there. Going to re do cover plate gaskets etc.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1567.JPG