95 replies to this topic

#91 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,645 Thanks
  • 1,735 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 02:22 PM

Hopefully I can let this thread go into history now!

Thanks for letting us follow along.       Rick

• MFDAC said thank you

#92 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 07:04 PM

Bringing this back from the dead one more time to report on how this engine worked for it's first mow of the season. I know the old HH120 was tired, but the smoothness and power of this engine gets two thumbs up from me! I ran 3rd gear, 3rd speed on the vari-drive through some six to eight inch tall grass blowing the clippings into the grass yet to mow with no lugging or need to slow down to let the engine get back it's rpms. It's a lot quieter and less vibration than the old engine too.

All in all this looks like it's going to work great and it was affordable way for us to keep the old tractor rather than having to get a new one.

Thanks again everyone for all the help and support while doing this conversion!

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• first mow 002.jpg
  • first mow 001.jpg

• DH1 said thank you

#93 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 863 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 08:20 PM

Good to hear Doug.Glad you got it dialed in and working good and strong for you.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#94 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 08:57 PM

Good to hear Doug.Glad you got it dialed in and working good and strong for you.

Well there was one more needed adjustment. It has been running and cutting great except for one thing---the clutch/vari-drive  pedal is so stiff I limp for a couple days after mowing. There's a lot of shifts from a forward gear to reverse in my yard and I also like using that pedal for temporary speed adjustments. It took my dense mind a while to figure out that my leg pain is related to mowing!! Back when I installed the new engine I put in a new primary vari-drive belt and adjusted it and the brake according to the manual.

Today I took off the deck and raised the tractor to look at how the spring may be adjusted and sure enough there is spring adjustment on the front spring mount at the vari-drive lever pivot. It REALLY sucked to unhook the spring even after I removed the front belt just to find out that the adjustment was almost all the way out already. I was thinking about a lighter spring but decided to put more adjustment in by using an eyebolt at the rear spring mount. It seems to work great, and I can almost toe the pedal now. No belt slippage and the vari-drive seems to engage smoother now. It would have a fairly harsh "jerk" sometimes before this modification.

I also did find out how important the vari-drive belt guard is. I decided to do my first test-run without it installed. When I tried to grab a different gear---no way! The belt was still spinning enough that it wouldn't shift!

It's probably not the right thing to do but I had to save my leg! It seems to work real nice now. I think my wife might be able to use it now.

Here's some pics---DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Vari Drive spring 003.jpg
  • Vari Drive spring 001.jpg
  • Vari Drive spring 006.jpg
  • Vari Drive spring 007.jpg

• DH1, limebuzz, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#95 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted November 09, 2016 - 08:13 PM

Here's one more update since it pertains to this engine. One thing I HATED about this engine was the location of the oil drain plug. There was no way to change oil without making a huge mess on the tractor and the floor since the oil flowed into more places than I have pan's for!

A couple months ago I went to a new junk store that deals in mostly brand new damaged items and ran across this 12V pump that was marketed as a "Marine" oil change pump. I figured that the pump don't care if it's sucking oil out of a boat engine or a garden tractor engine!

14 bucks later it was mine. The only damage I could find on it was a crack in a plug that covered one of the oil ports for packaging purposes, which was visible before I even opened the clear container.

I get off work at 2:30 this week and the weather was wonderful, *73F so I warmed the engine up as the instructions said and put that pump to work. I already knew that this engine's oil capacity was one quart so I took an empty oil bottle and pumped the crankcase into that to make sure that pretty much all the old oil was pumped out. It worked perfectly and it only took about 1 minute to start sucking air. One quart exactly in my catch bottle!

I went ahead and pulled the cutting deck and hardware off too. Maybe tomorrow I will install the snow blade and reverse the rear tires. The rears need that done so the tire chains will clear the chassis and fenders. Here's pics.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Oil Change pump 001.jpg
  • Oil Change pump 002.jpg
  • Oil Change pump 003.jpg

• KennyP, Cvans and old coot have said thanks

#96 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,520 Thanks