#76 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 10:55 PM

After years of using different types of blades with cutting edges yours had me scratching my head. 

Glad it works for you and it sure shouldn't dig up the yard. It's hard to argue with success.    :thumbs:

This idea isn't mine, I've read about folks on this forum using a piece of PVC on the cutting edge like CRFarnsworth spoke of to prevent digging up the gravel. I guess it just so happens that this MF blade already has a radius on the bottom. Now I will make time to make the steel "wear blade" out of that piece of pipe we talked about in previous posts.

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, December 04, 2015 - 10:57 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#77 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted December 16, 2015 - 11:08 PM

Hi MF folks, the 12G got a workout tonight after I got home from work. All I caught about the storm was that at the airport (2 miles away) there was 2-1/2 inches of water in the snowfall. Don't know the snowfall total. 30-40 mph wind. Anyway I got the old 2wd Sonoma out this morning to get to work after getting a couple of runs at drifts but got stuck in the driveway a couple times coming back home. Dark when I left, dark when returning home!

The tractor did the job well and here's a couple of things I learned. Some more rear weight would be good. It seemed to struggle a little but maybe it was my haphazard methods of plowing since this was the first serious test of snow removal for me with this tractor. It took me about an hour and a half. I'm sure once I learn the tractor it will speed up.

I have the seat moved back a bit further than the factory holes allow and that did give me a reach problem at times raising the blade. The angle change works smooth as can be but since I could never change the angle on the MF8E all these years it doesn't come natural to the operator how to use it to his advantage yet!

Engine wise, I'm 99% pleased with how it runs. Very smooth and comparatively quiet. Still have some periodic flooding at idle. Soon as it gets "off idle" it runs awesome! It will idle low and smooth if I turn the fuel tank shutoff almost completely closed with the carb shutoff wide open. When I give it throttle it wants the tank shutoff opened more. Since this thing ain't gonna just sit and idle much It can be lived with. I have never dealt with a float in the carb that had a needle with a spring on it. It makes me think that with the fuel outlet on the gas tank being 3 or 4 inches higher than the tank that was removed has more "head pressure" being put on the needle. It only happens during low fuel demand. Now that everyone is completely confused with that description, Here's a couple of pics.

I need to tighten the springs on the blade return as it doesn't come completely back up against the stop.

Oh yeah, I still didn't get time to build a guard on the blade yet but It almost never touched the gravel hard anyway!

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Push snow 12-16-15 004.jpg
  • Push snow 12-16-15 001.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, December 16, 2015 - 11:14 PM.

• DH1, Alc, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#78 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 5,017 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 11:27 AM

You might want to check your float level. If the engine was handled roughly in shipping it is possible that the float is now too high.

Also there might be a little piece of crud in the needle and seat. Check this are very closely for scratches. 

Good to see your getting some seat time  :D

• MFDAC said thank you

#79 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 05:51 PM

Good stuff glad you got it working and had a chance to use it, now it starts to earn it's keep. :thumbs:

• MFDAC said thank you

#80 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 09:00 PM

You might want to check your float level. If the engine was handled roughly in shipping it is possible that the float is now too high.

Also there might be a little piece of crud in the needle and seat. Check this are very closely for scratches. 

Good to see your getting some seat time  :D

Yeah that's what I was hoping the first time this started happening. I have 2 new carbs, both react nearly the same. These new honda clone engines don't have an adjustable float and they have this spring-loaded needle. My guess is that since it had a Non-vented gas tank (which I'm sure is a fed requirement) and has to comply with emissions--see in parenthesis--that the carbs are designed to be tough to alter the fuel system like me using the stock vented MF tank. The new tank sat right down on the engine nearly level with the carb and the MF tank is several inches above the engine and carb. Maybe I'm over thinking this!

Good stuff glad you got it working and had a chance to use it, now it starts to earn it's keep. :thumbs:

It is working very well, it paid it's dues mowing but now it has to earn the winter keep too!

Attached Thumbnails

• carb 001.jpg
  • carb 002.jpg

#81 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 09:24 PM

I have 1 - 13hp clone engine on the log splitter that is now flooding when you leave the fuel on with the motor off.

Only thing I can think of is that when we last moved it 1/2km down the road it didn't like the trip,

ever since then it's been a problem.  ???

• MFDAC said thank you

#82 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 5,017 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 11:00 PM

That tank had to be vented somehow or you would have a ton of pressure in it setting in the sun on a hot day. Invitation for an explosion. The pressure would have easily exceeded the head pressure created by raising the fuel tank. 

You've got me scratching my bald head on this one. I guess if it were me I would try pinching the fuel line when it starts loading up and see if the engine clears up. If it does then something in the carb is not metering correctly. Do the they use this engine in go karts? Have you checked any of the kart racing sites to see if they have had similar problems? 

Grabbing at straws here. Your so close to having this whipped. 

Edited by Cvans, December 18, 2015 - 09:50 PM.

• MFDAC said thank you

#83 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 09:23 PM

I have 1 - 13hp clone engine on the log splitter that is now flooding when you leave the fuel on with the motor off.

Only thing I can think of is that when we last moved it 1/2km down the road it didn't like the trip,

ever since then it's been a problem.  ???

These 2 carbs do that too, but I am in the habit of shutting off the fuel. It must be enough though that it makes the idle way too rich also. I'm still at a loss, but it runs great soon as it is of-idle.

That tank had to be vented somehow or you would have a ton of pressure in it setting in the sun on a hot day. Invitation for an explosion. The pressure would have easily exceeded the head pressure created by raising the fuel tank. 

You've got me scratching my bald head on this one. I guess it were me I would try pinching the fuel line when it starts loading up and see if the engine clears up. If it does then something in the carb is not metering correctly. Do the they use this engine in go karts? Have you checked any of the kart racing sites to see if they have had similar problems? 

Grabbing at straws here. Your so close to having this whipped. 

Yes Chris, sorry I worded that so poorly! Of course the new tank was vented. It had a hose from a fitting on the top of the tank to the air intake housing before the carb. I did determine that gas is getting by the needle and seat in both carbs with fuel to the carbs not running like Doug was talking about above. I removed the nuts, slid the carb out on the long studs then opened the fuel shut-offs. There's a shut-off on the MF tank as well as the new carbs. Gas leaked out of the by-pass port that's supposed to dump excess fuel before it pours into the combustion chamber. Another thing that I did was stiffen the little spring slightly on the needle too by replacing it with a different spring cut from a primary metering rod spring from an old quadrajet carb. That didn't seem to change it much so I'm thinking about a stiffer one yet.

All the kart racing stuff I've seen using Honda clone engines show a cab that's different in the float and needle/seat assembly. I'll try to get time to dig into that more. Closing the shut-offs almost shut worked the same as pinching the hose shouldn't it? It did clear up with the tank valve almost completely shut but wanted it opened more at throttle.

Got some other stuff going on out here in the shop so I better go for now.

DAC 

• Cvans said thank you

#84 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 5,017 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 09:55 PM

Yes closing the valve would have the same effect as pinching the hose. 

• MFDAC said thank you

#85 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,201 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 07:28 AM

May it's idling to slow. Maybe check that. Just a thought.

Noel
  • MFDAC said thank you

#86 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 09:39 PM

May it's idling to slow. Maybe check that. Just a thought.

Noel

I don't have a tach but by ear I adjusted it up a ways from the stock setting. Sounds like a bit too fast of an idle to me, but if it helps I'm ok with a fast idle.

Might get some time to tinker with it tomorrow.

DAC

• propane1 said thank you

#87 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 10:11 PM

Hopefully I can let this thread go into history now! The carb issues are fixed, but I had to shorten the battery mount and original gas tank mount so I could use the Predator fuel tank rather than the original MF one. It is running great, idling low and smooth, revs perfectly! I suspect the vent valve controls how the fuel flows from the tank, running or not.

While cutting the battery box I built a battery hold down. There was never one on it that I know of.

Just in time as a snowstorm rolled in here about 3:30 PM mountain so it will probably have to be put to use tomorrow.

Hope everyone here on GTT had as great of a Christmas as we did!

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, December 25, 2015 - 10:14 PM.

• limebuzz, MH81 and CRFarnsworth have said thanks

#88 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 07:08 PM

One last update since it got a much harder workout today after this mini blizzard than last weeks snow. It ran great! Very smooth, never lugged a bit even when hitting the hard piles of snow buried under this fresh stuff. One time at idle after the engine had been run awhile the rpms blubbered around for a second, then it cleared up and didn't do it again. A little puff of black smoke blew out too. This tractor setup by far does a nicer job pushing snow than the MF8E.

Now the only downfall I see with this engine is oil changes (which I already did one) are very messy. I may buy a suction gun and try that when the time comes. Maybe someone else has some ideas?

Here's pics. Just a few hours after DH1 mowed on Christmas Day, I was stuck dealing with this!

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• 12-25 26-15 blizzard 005.jpg
  • 12-25 26-15 blizzard 004.jpg
  • 12-26-15 001.jpg
  • 12-26-15 002.jpg
  • 12-26-15 003.jpg
  • 12-26-15 004.jpg

• DH1, limebuzz and CRFarnsworth have said thanks

#89 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 08:33 PM

Glad you got it working good and hope it serves you for many yrs. to come.  :thumbs:

• MFDAC said thank you

#90 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 11:21 PM

Glad you got it working good and hope it serves you for many yrs. to come.  :thumbs:

Thank-you for all your help, Doug!

DAC