DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 10:14 PM

I think you will find that if you loose those bolts and nuts in the first picture you can change the angle, rotate the cutting edge up so that the rounded back part rubs with the front edge off the ground, like the skid shoes do on other blades.

That's the way mine was, the bolts on mine were rusted on and broke when I took it apart, I found that the holes were not round but slots so it can be adjusted.

I take it your trying not to plow the gravel just the snow on the driveway. I have a gravel driveway too.

Hope this helps.

• limebuzz, MFDAC and CRFarnsworth have said thanks

#62 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 10:23 PM

I think you will find that if you loose those bolts and nuts in the first picture you can change the angle, rotate the cutting edge up so that the rounded back part rubs with the front edge off the ground, like the skid shoes do on other blades.

That's the way mine was, the bolts on mine were rusted on and broke when I took it apart, I found that the holes were not round but slots so it can be adjusted.

I take it your trying not to plow the gravel just the snow on the driveway. I have a gravel driveway too.

Hope this helps.

Yeah Doug, it does help! I knew they were slotted but I sure didn't think it would be enough to rotate it far enough, and like a dummy I didn't look it over before I stuck the assembly on the tractor. I sprayed the bolts with Kroil tonight but didn't try to loosen them yet.

DAC

#63 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 10:25 PM

Yeah Doug, it does help! I knew they were slotted but I sure didn't think it would be enough to rotate it far enough, and like a dummy I didn't look it over before I stuck the assembly on the tractor. I sprayed the bolts with Kroil tonight but didn't try to loosen them yet.

DAC

Give it a try and see how it works. And let us know. :D

• MFDAC said thank you

#64 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 10:35 PM

Your tractor really turned out nice. 

We are in a winter storm warning for tomorrow and Tuesday.  Going to have to get out there early in the morning and pick up the bigger rocks so the snowblower won't be putting cannons hole in the buildings. Gravel driveways can be dangerous. 

• MFDAC said thank you

#65 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 10:57 PM

I will give it a try tomorrow---rotating the blade that is, it's gonna have to snow a few more inches before I try plowing.

Your tractor really turned out nice. 

We are in a winter storm warning for tomorrow and Tuesday.  Going to have to get out there early in the morning and pick up the bigger rocks so the snowblower won't be putting cannons hole in the buildings. Gravel driveways can be dangerous. 

Right now it sounds like we may only get another inch or so but no word on wind---that can be the difference between a simple nuisance and a major problem! "Cannon holes" that's funny but probably realistic! Seems I remember you have a pretty big snow blower? I used one here off and on for awhile but never launched anything more than gritty gravel-no rocks that could punch holes.

I did break a topper window on one of my trucks with the weed eater once though---

It does sound like it may be a pretty serious storm out your way so be careful Chris!

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, November 29, 2015 - 10:58 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#66 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 10:17 AM

It does sound like it may be a pretty serious storm out your way so be careful Chris!

I'll do my best. So far we aren't expecting much wind with this one. And it isn't suppose to get very cold. Two unusual events for these parts. 

• MFDAC said thank you

#67 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 10:15 PM

3 of the 4 bolts broke but I had a few for some reason! The blade isn't slotted as far as I'd like it to be (first pic far as it would go) so I took the edge back off. Now I think the first time there's enough snow that plowing is needed that without the edge at all is what I'm going to try.

I'll do my best. So far we aren't expecting much wind with this one. And it isn't suppose to get very cold. Two unusual events for these parts. 

It has been great that with the snow so far this season there's been little wind! I can tolerate snow much better without drifts and closer to actual temp chill factors! Yep that's very unusual for all of South Dakota! Hope it wasn't too bad out there today.

Got the carb today, installed it and it seems to be good for now----at idle rpms fluctuate a little but it's very smooth where it counts and no dripping gas from the carb vent when not running, fuel shutoff open. Re-starts just fine too. Too cold to go driving around outside for a "test run" right now though. It's supposed to warm up for a few days---right when I have to go back to work---oh well time for reality!

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• getting ready for snow 010.jpg
  • getting ready for snow 011.jpg
  • getting ready for snow 009.jpg

• DH1, limebuzz and Cvans have said thanks

#68 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,658 Thanks
  • 1,740 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 10:05 AM

Looked at your posting/pics this morning.Then when I went to the shop and  looked right at a piece of pipe.

If you had something with a large enough diameter you could split it length ways and attach it with the existing holes to protect and/or  strengthen your blade.

You would still have the rounded surface to ride on top of the gravel and not wear into your  blade.  And you would have two pieces if needed.    rick

• KennyP and MFDAC have said thanks

#69 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 07:51 PM

Looked at your posting/pics this morning.Then when I went to the shop and  looked right at a piece of pipe.

If you had something with a large enough diameter you could split it length ways and attach it with the existing holes to protect and/or  strengthen your blade.

You would still have the rounded surface to ride on top of the gravel and not wear into your  blade.  And you would have two pieces if needed.    rick

Thanks Rick, I have a chunk of tubing that I think will work, but I will need both halves to be long enough. The blade itself worked great in the snow tonight--I jinxed myself bragging to Cvans that so far no wind had been associated with the snow. It blew and snowed last night. I am definitely going to need chains though. It looks like the rear wheels on my MF8E have less backset than the wheels on the 12G, so that would move the track width wider thus giving me the chain clearance needed. I'm not sure if the 12G wheels will work on the 8E though. I'm going to go dig it out of it's corner right now and see what can be done.

I also figured out the engine idle issue. I was trying to open the choke too fast but when I eased it open over a period of a couple minutes warm-up it idled smooth.

DAC

• Cvans said thank you

#70 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,658 Thanks
  • 1,740 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 08:55 PM

Glad you got the engine figured out.

I am using the wheels and tires off of a John Deere on my Cub Cadet 782 because of a clearance issue with the chains.  Luckily most of the yellow is hidden by the wheel weights.   :D      ​Rick

• MFDAC said thank you

#71 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 10:24 PM

Glad you got the engine figured out.

I am using the wheels and tires off of a John Deere on my Cub Cadet 782 because of a clearance issue with the chains.  Luckily most of the yellow is hidden by the wheel weights.   :D      ​Rick

Thanks Rick, yeah the engine ran great while I was trying to get un-stuck in the drifts. LOL--wheel weights can change the personality of the tractor hiding stuff you may not want known! The first pic is the tube that should work to make the steel wear blade that should bolt on nicely once I get it split.

I got the tractors together, and both were the same width across the rear. I pulled the wheel weights on the 12 and then my ignorance about these tractors struck me---the wheels are reversable! I flipped them over re-installed the weights with tons of room for the chains. I figured they were like automotive wheels---live and learn. Too tired and late to try to push the snow now but it's supposed to be in the 40's and maybe 50's the rest of the week anyway.

more pics from my clumsy adventure.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• getting ready for snow 013.jpg
  • getting ready for snow 023.jpg
  • getting ready for snow 017.jpg
  • getting ready for snow 018.jpg
  • getting ready for snow 019.jpg
  • getting ready for snow 020.jpg
  • getting ready for snow 021.jpg
  • getting ready for snow 022.jpg
  • getting ready for snow 015.jpg
  • getting ready for snow 016.jpg

• DH1, limebuzz, MH81 and 3 others have said thanks

#72 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 12:15 PM

Much wider stance.
Looking forward to the report with chains.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#73 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 03:10 PM

That ought to increase the stability a bunch. 

One thing I can't figure out is how is that blade going to cut through packed snow when the bottom edge is curved like that? 

• MFDAC said thank you

#74 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 09:07 PM

Much wider stance.
Looking forward to the report with chains.

Yeah no risk of the chains hitting the fenders at all now! When I got home from work last night there was still plenty of snow in the driveway so it got it's first workout---with great results! no traction problem at all, Just got to get used to the reach for raising/lowering. Once again it was dark so I didn't try any pics. At least there's a yard light over the driveway.

That ought to increase the stability a bunch. 

One thing I can't figure out is how is that blade going to cut through packed snow when the bottom edge is curved like that? 

I may just leave the wheels that way for summer too, it will feel much safer mowing the ditch out by the road I'm sure. The snow was heavy, wet and had set and packed nearly 2 days and some was driven over packing it worse.  I also was thinking since this blade can "float" and was rounded that it may just "ride up" and not be very effective. I had no reason to doubt as it worked fine. It left maybe an inch of snow but that's acceptable to me when I see NO GRAVEL in the piles I push out into the yard, and none visible from what I could see!

Thanks---DAC

Edited by MFDAC, December 03, 2015 - 09:11 PM.

• limebuzz, MH81 and Cvans have said thanks

#75 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 11:20 PM

After years of using different types of blades with cutting edges yours had me scratching my head. 

Glad it works for you and it sure shouldn't dig up the yard. It's hard to argue with success.    :thumbs:

• MFDAC said thank you