#16 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 09:30 PM

Hello, been quite a while, sorry for no activity on the forum. Not much time for the internet. Mowing has slowed some so I am hoping to mow this coming Sunday then start the conversion Sunday afternoon or Monday. I think it won't be too tough of a mow if the grass is left alone for 2 weeks, probably wouldn't be completely out of control at 3.

I had been doing a couple of much needed conversions on a couple of my GMC trucks in the meantime. I built an all new radiator carriage with fender and grill mounts to support the front clip and have a solid, more common radiator in the '55 GMC. Also the big ol' cabover camper is sitting on the '72 GMC now (was finally able to load it in the mudded area it was stored in) and I've started building the mounting hardware.

Looks like a fun conversion!  My son is going on a good 4 years on his 6hp conversion of a little MF8.   Keep in mind, that a lot of cart racers use these engines (granted, moreso the 6hp ones) but there are quite a few preformance items and air clearners made for them.

I meant to reply back when i thanked but forgot. I hosted semi organized go kart races in the 80's and 90's and it would have been a great deal to get those 6hp engines back then. We had a stock Briggs 5hp rule but they were getting harder to find cheap and they were easy to "cheat". About all i could do to enforce rules was to require a working choke and they must be able to start with the recoil, not the remote electric starters used by folks with the highly modified ones. 4 years ain't much, I got projects that have been under way longer---LOL!

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, August 19, 2015 - 09:33 PM.

#17 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 10:40 PM

Any progress on the engine swap?

• MFDAC said thank you

#18 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 07:27 PM

Any progress on the engine swap?

Hi Chris, mowing was still needed too often to start the actual swap, but like I said above Sunday afternoon or Monday may be when this project begins.

DAC

• limebuzz said thank you

#19 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 08:29 PM

Best of luck and I hope it's an enjoyable project for you.

• MFDAC said thank you

#20 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 08:43 PM

I still have to give the grass a week or two to slow down. If it would stay dry for a couple weeks I think I could take it out of service for awhile. Last week we got 1.6" on my rain gauge and the grass took off again. Lots of clover that gets pretty thick. Sooner or later----

DAC

#21 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 08:33 PM

A lot of stuff has come up including the GRASS since my last post! I can't ever remember having to mow clear in to October before but I did the final cut last Monday no matter what! It is still green as can be too! It may get down to freezing tonight for the first time this fall.

Anyway, the cutting deck is off, along with the grill and hood. Cables, wires and fuel line are disconnected. It's pretty much get the underside engine mount bolts out and the trusty but tired HH120 can come out. Should have been doing that tonight but decided to do some catching up here on this forum instead.

DAC

• limebuzz, MH81, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#22 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 09:19 PM

I got a start on the swap this afternoon after errands and some chores. It was quite a pain to get the 2 right side engine mount bolts out but after a few choice words and a couple of hours the engine is off. I finally decided to use the stock gas tank so I wouldn't have to move the battery also. I had to cut one of the gas tank mounts off of the new engine as DH1 said in an earlier post then it slid into position nicely and bolt holes lined right up! An even bigger bonus is that the Vari-Drive belt friction shield Doug also mentioned lines up well with some holes on the new engine!

This won't be a real fast-paced thread as there's plenty of stuff going on including having to work 8 hours overtime tomorrow (Sunday). The next big decisions will be to use the stock wiring or just extend the new ignition switch wiring and install it in the stock hole, air cleaner and exhaust fabrication and routing cables. Then there is always the "what to do with the removed and leftover parts" decisions!

Here's a few pics from today.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Engine swap 003.jpg
  • Engine swap 004.jpg
  • Engine swap 005.jpg
  • Engine swap 006.jpg
  • Engine swap 007.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, October 17, 2015 - 09:21 PM.

• olcowhand, DH1, limebuzz and 3 others have said thanks

#23 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 11:14 PM

That engine looks like it belongs there.

• MFDAC said thank you

#24 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 09:27 PM

Got a little bit done tonight, mocking up an air cleaner setup. I did not like the big plastic box filter on the new engine and all there is inside it was a thin piece of sponge filter. I'm just doing away with the whole thing and building an adapter pipe to use the can and filter setup from the HH120. The filters for them can be bought at a reasonable price and will do a much better job by far.

I don't know what that rusty cast iron elbow is from but it was in a box with some Briggs engine parts I had out in a shed. It fit right on the new carb studs with just a slight elongation to the holes on the flange. Then I built a flange out of a big, thick washer then I will weld a cut off plumbing fitting to that, and the nuts too. I have to go get a 6" pipe nipple to put the air cleaner about in the position of the mock-up pic and then I will build an elbow and flange to attach the air cleaner base and stud mount to.

It will probably look like a rookie plumbing job gone bad, but it will work best for what I need. The exhaust and muffler setup will still be about the same as what DH1 built on his 12H engine swaps.

The PTO shaft centerline is about 3/8" higher with this engine so I will have to slightly alter the right running board without changing the implement pedal lock position but I think that won't be too tough.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Engine swap 010.jpg
  • Engine swap 008.jpg

• olcowhand, DH1, wvbuzzmaster and 2 others have said thanks

#25 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 07:28 PM

The air cleaner tube is done but after I get the exhaust done I will take them to work and bead blast for some paint. I was going to start the exhaust mod tonight but just kinda tired out from work. Maybe tomorrow. Mounted filter tube and can from the HH120.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Engine swap air cleaner 002.jpg
  • Engine swap air cleaner 001.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, October 22, 2015 - 07:30 PM.

• DH1, limebuzz, wvbuzzmaster and 2 others have said thanks

#26 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 06:50 AM

Nice adapter.

• MFDAC said thank you

#27 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 10:05 PM

A little more was accomplished today even though I had a lot of senior moments and the guy at the welding supply shop must have too! I needed to fill my tank so this morning I went into town (almost a 20 mile round-trip) to get another, got it came home hooked it up and nothing! The bottle was empty! Back into town and they were sorry about what happened but it still cut into the day and the truck's gas tank.

I built some spacers for the long studs of the carb rather than using the nuts for spacers that was in the previous pics. Then I started on the exhaust. I wasn't concerned about cutting the grill as it's bent anyway so the "manifold" from the new engine got cut on the chop saw then a plumbing elbow tacked in at the desired angle. Then it was time to decide which direction to point the new muffler discharge. Decided to point it straight down but I almost forgot to put the grill back on to mark where the notch needs to be.

I only own one size hole saw, a 2" and it was the perfect size to cut a hole in the grill then I just used a cutoff wheel to finish the notch.

Time to weld up the new "manifold" and I couldn't see worth a darn and came out with uglier than normal welds. Then it dawned on my why I couldn't see well---I still had my glasses on instead of none or my reading glasses. My welding ain't ever pretty but it was so bad I had to grind the welds just to tell If there were pinholes or missed spots and I did find a few!

Oh well, still gained some ground on this, here's a few pics.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Engine swap exhaust 007.jpg
  • Engine swap exhaust 005.jpg
  • Engine swap exhaust 004.jpg
  • Engine swap exhaust 003.jpg
  • Engine swap exhaust 002.jpg
  • Engine swap exhaust 001.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, October 26, 2015 - 10:08 PM.

• DH1, limebuzz, wvbuzzmaster and 2 others have said thanks

#28 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 10:58 PM

I like that exhaust setup! So slick it looks OEM.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#29 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 27, 2015 - 07:58 PM

:thumbs:  Notch in the grill looks OEM, like they made it that way.

• MFDAC said thank you

#30 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 09:10 PM

I like that exhaust setup! So slick it looks OEM.

Thanks Casey, all the grinding I did to look for holes kinda made it look like it was supposed to be 1 piece. I wasn't as confident on getting the angle on the air cleaner I wanted but probably should have built it more like the exhaust. I did forget to add that doing the air cleaner this way there is no problem with the hood support clearing anything.

:thumbs:  Notch in the grill looks OEM, like they made it that way.

I appreciate that Doug, there is still some smoothing to do on that notch and I will see about some touch-up paint. It was either that way or the torch!

Last night I got all of the original wiring removed in one piece and routed the throttle cable. It worked just fine but I'm thinking that the choke working opposite on the dash control like Doug did will save some headaches instead of flipping the dash lever and drilling two more holes like I originally planned. Didn't get to work on it tonight. 

• DH1 and Cvans have said thanks