• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JakeQT17 OFFLINE  

JakeQT17

• Member No: 6095
  • 18 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 07:27 PM

I ran across a Power King a few weeks ago at an RV camp site. The owner was using it to pull around a heating oil tank that he had converted into a mobile  septic tank. It looked like he had a brisk business going pumping out RVs. Anyway, I was awe-struck by the PK Garden Tractor..loved the old-school ag-tractor look, and I noted that it was having no trouble pulling a couple hundred gallons of sewage through some fairly muddy tracks.  

Short story long...I want one and I'm willing to pay a fair price. I see a couple on my local craigslist (Albany, NY area), but have learned to respect the gents (and occasional lady) on this forum and would feel much more comfortable buying one from one of you, or taking your suggestion on one. I'm willing to travel throughout the North East to pick one up. 

So throwing it out there..anyone got one for sell? I'd like a mower deck and  a plow. 

Thanks!

Edited by MH81, June 28, 2015 - 06:06 PM.
moved to classifieds for more traffic

• MH81 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 07:36 PM

PKs are good but a large frame Bolens is better! If you want to move up to something bigger, try out a bunch of different ones. An old friend had a PK w/ FEL that I repaired for him a bunch of times between 1980 and 1991 when he became terminally ill. It was easy to work on but I never liked driving it because of the way the steering wheel is situated. PKs have been running overly expensive around here. Good Luck, Rick

• JakeQT17 said thank you

#3 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 07:08 AM

PKs are good but a large frame Bolens is better! If you want to move up to something bigger, try out a bunch of different ones. An old friend had a PK w/ FEL that I repaired for him a bunch of times between 1980 and 1991 when he became terminally ill. It was easy to work on but I never liked driving it because of the way the steering wheel is situated. PKs have been running overly expensive around here. Good Luck, Rick

Why is a large frame Bolens better?

The sure don't have the old-school ag-tractor look.

• MNGB said thank you

#4 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,016 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 07:42 AM

My question also, I have a Case 444 its a good tractor but I much prefer the Power King all the way around.

Hi Jake QT17, just keep watching CL and go look at some and you'll find one, after looking it over ask questions here you get some good answers.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 08:32 AM

The Bolens LF is heavier duty in my experience. The Bolens is way over designed. The transaxle on my 1250 is rated for 35 hp. Even with just the 12 hp on my 1250 it keeps going under heavy loads. The two ptos and and the availability of many attachments is also a plus. I find the handling and the transmission controls to be more comfortable than anything else that I have tried without getting into the $3000+ range. Last week, there was a nice LF for $725, claimed to have a rebuilt engine.

Harrys' PK needed alot of bolts and pins replaced just because of wear. I some cases I bored the bushings out and made inner bushings. There was also a problem with one of the rear axle drive units that was a royal pain. Many of the things I repaired just didn't seem to be as well made as I expected.

There was a pair of PKs for sale a couple of years ago only two miles from me. One was running the other was not. The price for the two was very good. I took the running one for a ride but just didn't like the feel. If I was only going to have PKs, I'm sure that I would get used to it. I've got many different tractors and tend to use different ones in the same day. The Pks would have felt weird.

It all comes down to personal preferrence. I am suggesting that you be carefull and test drive many different tractors before making the big dollar plunge. Good Luck, Rick

This just showed up on my CL. I think it is very overpriced.  http://newlondon.cra...5092196455.html

Tractor/Loader w/Hauler - $5000 (Norwich)

<>
00W0W_bbop3aTurGT_600x450.jpg

Power King 24/14 Dual Transmission Tractor w/Johnson Loader, 3 Pt Hitch, and DR 1 Ton Hauler with 350lb Winch Convertible Bed Outriggers, both in excellent Condition, $5000 for both or will sell separately. Spammers reported, make your best offer if you like, and DONT Low Ball, it's for sale not for free :) Call or text 860-705-3743......

Edited by boyscout862, June 28, 2015 - 09:29 AM.

#6 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 05:07 PM

Personally I recommend a John Deere 4xx series tractor over a Power King or a large frame Bolens and they can be picked up for under $2000  but they don't have the old school tractor look that the OP is after.

Power King tractors are a proven tractor and have essentially remained the same from 1946 to 1984 but they little quirks as do most tractors but no inherant problems that would compel me to talk the OP out of buying one and purchasing another model although I might caution against one with the K361 engine.

If the OP is after a later fiberglass model gear drive,I would then be compelled to talk him out of one.

• boyscout862 and oldiron1 have said thanks

#7 JakeQT17 OFFLINE  

JakeQT17

• 18 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 09:17 PM

by late model fiberglass, do you mean something like this ..

http://hudsonvalley....5051481735.html ??

What is the down side to these newer PKs?

Thanks!

#8 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 09:06 AM

The downside to the late model PK's(like the one you posted a link to) is the clutch and transmission.
They went to a multidisc clutch that can be problematic and is very expensive to repair/replace. The transmission is also considered a weak link with bearing and casting issues. The hydrostat versions are considered much better and some even have power steering. They certainly don't have the look of an ag "tractor".
Chuck
  • Alc, JakeQT17 and oldiron1 have said thanks

#9 JakeQT17 OFFLINE  

JakeQT17

• 18 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 05:04 AM

What do you think about this one ?

http://hudsonvalley....5024511646.html

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 05:14 AM

What do you think about this one ?

You might want to a little more searching so you have more to compare . That would be a little high in our area which usually has very high asking prices . That has manual lift  ,drawbar instead of a 3pt but  if it's close to you go take a look and make an offer , You never know , good luck

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 05:25 AM

Here's a pretty good deal , I'm sure it will go quick

http://allentown.cra...5102586844.html

Attached Thumbnails

• pk.gif

#12 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,016 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 03:06 PM

I think that is a good deal, much to far away for me, but your closer Alc so are you going to grab it?

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 08:11 PM

It is tempting lol. Could swap the engine right though the tandem trans into my PK 2418 which is really only a 12hp . Then the wife would shot me at some point lol

#14 jmacintosh OFFLINE  

jmacintosh
  • Member No: 72791
  • 2 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 10:38 PM

Hi Jake!

Like you , I am in the Capital District area. I too am looking for a PK. My Dad had one years ago. Best of luck in your search. I am looking for one to do some gardening/landscaping. They are pretty solid little tractors. If there is anything I can do to help, message your number to me. I am local, and in the white pages.

Jeff

• MH81 and JakeQT17 have said thanks

#15 JakeQT17 OFFLINE  

JakeQT17

• 18 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted July 05, 2015 - 06:06 AM

Hi Jake!

Like you , I am in the Capital District area. I too am looking for a PK. My Dad had one years ago. Best of luck in your search. I am looking for one to do some gardening/landscaping. They are pretty solid little tractors. If there is anything I can do to help, message your number to me. I am local, and in the white pages.

Jeff

Thanks for the introduction! How long have you been searching for one? Have you gone too look at any that are currently on Craigslist?

Edited by JakeQT17, July 05, 2015 - 06:08 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wanted