Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 01:49 PM

I have never been as interested in an old homebrew as I am right now!  Thanks for sharing!

• stiemmy said thank you

#32 bigfordyt16 OFFLINE  

bigfordyt16
  • Member No: 73055
  • 17 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 08:15 PM

I took the Ol girl to the Garden Tractor daze show in Portage WI this weekend, and stretched her legs a little.

Soon as I got there, this was the first tractor off the trailer, and of course my buddy had to drive it, and less than 5 minutes he broke the starter drive (spring) oh well. Anyway, glad I took it cause I entered in the low idle contest, and won it with a purdy low, and steady 323 rpm. Now to clarify steady doesn't mean a peak low number and shut off, but to run at, or around that RPM. I was using a rope tied to a Cresent wrench for a handle, and wrapping the rope around the unused pulley on the engine.

Picture this, small pulley, long stroke, LOTS OF CAST IRON, can you say holy crap when you're trying to start that pig!!! Believe me, I didn't fiddle much with the idle in the contest as I didn't want to have to keep restarting that beast. I did have a blast though, and plan on fixing that spring.

I know, I know it's spring steel, but I think I can weld it too, only cause I hate being told I can't do it, so stay tuned More to come on this ol girl.... :)

you got 325 rpm in that low idle contest? I got 375 rpm out of a vtwin powering a oil pump id say we both did pretty good

#33 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,294 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 04:04 PM

Yeppers, I'm glad they added that contest this year. It was alot of fun!!

#34 bigfordyt16 OFFLINE  

bigfordyt16
  • Member No: 73055
  • 17 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 11:49 PM

ya it was getting that vtwin to a low rpm like 370 you could literaly hear each piston go up and down

#35 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,294 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 11:13 AM

As posted earlier, my starter drive spring busted, so I decided to tackle that this morning. Once I figured out how to spread it far enough apart using screwdrivers, I then slid it onto the shaft to keep it lined up, and used a magnet to hold it all from shifting. I then cranked up the old el-cheapO China freight welder, and tacked the spring. Next I took it off the shaft, and finished welding the rest of it. I didn't grind off any excess to give it strength, and besides, a spring doesn't care what shape it's in as long as it's completely connected. Works good as new, and that Chinese welder, man, I can't say anything bad about it. I'm on my 4th roll of fluxcore wire, and I am amazed at what I have done with that thing!! Anyway, nuff rambling, here are some pics. Cheers:)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG2415.jpg
  • IMAG2416.jpg
  • IMAG2417.jpg
  • IMAG2418.jpg
  • IMAG2419.jpg
  • IMAG2420.jpg
  • IMAG2421.jpg
  • IMAG2422.jpg
  • IMAG2423.jpg
  • IMAG2424.jpg