• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 vtbolensfan OFFLINE  

vtbolensfan
  • Member No: 71390
  • 69 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 06:54 AM

I just pulled my 1886 into the shop last night., it has been sitting in my yard for about 2 years and was sitting behind the shop from where i bough it form for , i don't know how long.  I was hoping to try to fire it up, but it has no spark. After looking around on it, several wires at cut or unattached. Also the compression was about 75 on both sides.  Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 1886?  I am not familiar enough with the wiring n these to know what is missing, or routed wrong. Many of the wires that come up right in front of the valve body on the back of the dash are cut. I dont know where they are supposed to go. Also , some of the wires from the key switch are cut. No idea where they should go. Here are a few pics of the wiring issues.20150626_205541.jpeg 20150626_205558.jpeg 20150626_205704.jpeg

• laurarg3 said thank you

#2 Toolfoole OFFLINE  

Toolfoole

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8230
  • 230 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 07:10 AM

You can find the wiring diagram here:

http://sonnybolenstractors.com/

http://domania.us/gt...ing-Diagram.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• 1886 wiring.jpg

• vtbolensfan said thank you

#3 vtbolensfan OFFLINE  

vtbolensfan
  • 69 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 07:20 AM

That's great!! Thank you

#4 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 07:52 AM

It looks like the wires that make the loop to the neutral start and pto engage switches. The grey wire should be the wire that goes to the start solenoid through the safety switches.

#5 vtbolensfan OFFLINE  

vtbolensfan
  • 69 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 08:04 AM

It looks like the wires that make the loop to the neutral start and pto engage switches. The grey wire should be the wire that goes to the start solenoid through the safety switches.

looking at the wiring diagram, the gray goes to the headlight switch I think.  The way it is now, the red wire from the ign switch is the one that goes to the solenoid. I dont know, someone probably messed with it and changed it all around. I want to goetthe plugs to have spark, them I will be sure it all works ok. I was going to rebuild the engine, but if it will run as it is, I may not have to . Compression is a little low at 75 on each side. What should the compression be in these engines?

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,292 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 03:22 PM

I've seen lower compression on almost every engine that has sat for a while.Carbon deposits swell up and cause the valves to not seat correctly until the engine warms up a bit or you take the heads off and scrape the carbon off.Compression may go up a bit once the valves get warm and you blow the cob webs out of her.

I hate going through wiring.Best thing you can do is (if you don't want to replace the whole wiring harness) disconnect the battery and check 1 wire at a time with a Ohm meter.Take a piece of tape and Write down what wire goes where and stick it on the wire.

#7 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,293 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 03:54 PM

I would try to get it running fist if I were at it. Run a jumper wire to the + side of the coil and a good set of jumper cables for the starter outta do it. If it runs poorly, or has major issues, it would have to come out, and rewiring the tractor is much, much easier with the engine out if it needs pulling. Besides, don't you want to know if it runs? We do!! Cheers

#8 vtbolensfan OFFLINE  

vtbolensfan
  • 69 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 04:30 PM

Well... I worked on it this am and what do ya know... I got spark. Points were dirty and a wire was broken. Tried a little gas in the carb to see if it would try to fire. It did. Then I cleaned the fuel tank out and fuel line. Put some gas in the tank and after about 10 minutes , it start ed. Then stalled. Fired it up again . This time it ran very well. Sounded great. Sat there and idled! I would have tried to move it but it has a very flat, dry rotted tire on the back. But it went well. Ran great, until I noticed a big puddle of Trans fluid under it. Looks like one of the lines under the control body leaks badly. Rusted I think. But I have 5 large frames now , so I think I can change the line with one form one of the others. Looks like a difficult place to get to , but I will get it replaced. And change the rear tire from one of the other ones I have. Should be able to try it out after that. I am also going to clean the carb. So that is the big update for today! I will post a few pics of the beast.
  • LPBolens, Alc and EricFromPa have said thanks

#9 vtbolensfan OFFLINE  

vtbolensfan
  • 69 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 04:40 PM

Here are a few pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150627_173205.jpg
  • 20150627_173117.jpg
  • 20150627_173133.jpg