5 replies to this topic

#1 fedora OFFLINE  

fedora
  • Member No: 35630
  • 48 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 01:14 AM

Hello all,

Since ya'll helped me with my belt problem, I was hoping you could help me again...

Since I bought my used husky, it has always left grass clumps and "crop circles", the discharge chute plugs up, and occasionally the deck vibrateing sounds like a manual tranny grinding gears, I assume this is grass build up. On the last mowing, the deck clogged up so bad, the blades stopped and I broke the primary deck belt.

I can chalk once or twice up to being high or wet grass, but not every mowing.

The guy I bought from said he put new blades on it, and judging by how fine the grass is that clogs up the chute, I'd guess they are mulching blades, I don't know the difference between a high lift, low lift, or mulching blade, and was hoping ya'll could steer me in the right direction of which one I need.

Like the title says, its a YTH 180 with a 3 blade 46" or 48" deck, can't remeber at the moment.

Thanks,

Fedora

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,908 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 04:59 AM

It sure sounds lke the clippings are getting stuck under the deck. Is there any chance that the blades are installed upside down? From the cutting edge it should curve upward to the back edge. this gives a lift to the clippings.

• grattone said thank you

#3 fedora OFFLINE  

fedora
  • 48 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 05:24 AM

Sounds very possible, I'll look at them sometime today and post what I find here.

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,908 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 06:35 AM

Thinking about this a bit more. When I use my YTH 150 in high grass where it will clog the discharge, it will act like this. Another thing to check is for stuck on grass on the deck. My deck likes to build up fairly quick if I am in tall grass. This will reduce the airflow and less room for the clippings to travel in. When a chunk falls down and gets under the blade, it sounds like it is falling apart and you have a circle in the grass.

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 06:59 AM

This is a fairly common problem with all machines with low capacity decks. The shallow, or thin decks do not have enough room for the grass to escape. Thus it builds up and plugs everything up. Slow down, and I mean way down and it will probably work out OK. I ran into that with the 42"deck under my Bolens the first time I used it. What little I use it I mow in 2nd and it does a real nice job. Those decks just are not tall grass or fast mowing decks. Clean the deck out when you done mowing helps a bunch also.

#6 fedora OFFLINE  

fedora
  • 48 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 09:21 AM

Well I'll be darned, they are upside down, lol. Guess I'll put them on right and put the old belt back on and try it. Thanks for the help.

• shorty said thank you