6 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 09:17 PM

Some of the old folks at the church were complaining about grass growing up in thee cracks in the sidewalk in front of the church. I took my weed eater up and beat the grass down, then sprayed Rounup.
In the process I noticed some areas need repair.
This is a low budget church, 90% of membership is retired and most of them are in their 80s or better.
So cutting out the bad spots and pouring new is not an option.
What I have in mind is to use Portland Cement and Sand and patch the cracks..
Any other ideas?
  • hamman, Lmiller3358 and laurarg3 have said thanks

#2 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 09:46 PM

Clean it with a grinder and use an epoxy joint filler thats flexible for temperature change.
  • Alc, hamman and Lmiller3358 have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 03:48 AM

There are a few different products around for patching concrete. I used to use a "latex" patch mix with good results. The big thing is proper preparation and proper curing. I like using a pressure washer for the preparation cleaning but, on a couple of the concrete was so rottted that the washer really ate into it. Using a grinder to undercut the joint will give a longer lasting job but can add hours to the work. Be carefull, cement needs to be kept moist and cool(70*) for several days for a strong cure. Do not let it dry out or overheat. In the fall, an application of sealer will protect from the deicer salts. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, Lmiller3358 and karl have said thanks

#4 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,526 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 04:52 AM

I would suggest using a bonding agent in the patch. Basicly, it is a glue that you brush on where ever the patch touches the old concrete. If you do clean up the cracks with a grinder, pressure wash after. The grinding can fill up the little holes where the bonding takes place. Last summer I spent several days cleaning and patchng curbs in a development. There I washed it, then I brushed on the bonding agent and then filled in the patch. Acryl 60 is a brand name product, there are several cheaper names that work just as good.

• Alc, Lmiller3358 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,317 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 05:19 AM

I would suggest using a bonding agent in the patch. Basicly, it is a glue that you brush on where ever the patch touches the old concrete. If you do clean up the cracks with a grinder, pressure wash after. The grinding can fill up the little holes where the bonding takes place. Last summer I spent several days cleaning and patchng curbs in a development. There I washed it, then I brushed on the bonding agent and then filled in the patch. Acryl 60 is a brand name product, there are several cheaper names that work just as good.

Ditto on the bonding agent !

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 07:56 AM

A sand and cement mix will not stay. Be a temporary fix at best. Use a masonry mix, like they use for brick and block work. Walls have stood for a hundred years with this material and didn't need to be kept wet or cool. Just work it in good and cover it for the first day to keep the sun from drying it out to fast.

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 10:09 AM

Bonding agent then use a vinyl or epoxy repair cement. I've done the and portland cement and quickrete, both break out within a year.