• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 09:06 PM

I know, I should be the last one to complain, living where I do.

It's hot, for around here. I'm old, fat, and not used to it.

004.JPG

The thermometer hanging on the door of one of the cabinets in the shop.

I've got both doors open, and a 24" box fan blowing at me.

too hot to really do much except drink beer, fake beer and ice water. Cooking is out of the question.

• KennyP, Dieselcubmike, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 09:19 PM

We have an ac unit in the garage. Definitely helps during the summer. We usually turn it on an hour or so before we head out so its nice and comfortable. Only bad thing is if were welding or grinding everything lingers and we cant really open the doors. 

• Chopperhed said thank you

#3 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 09:26 PM

We have an ac unit in the garage. Definitely helps during the summer. We usually turn it on an hour or so before we head out so its nice and comfortable. Only bad thing is if were welding or grinding everything lingers and we cant really open the doors. 

I've been thinking AC for the shop, but I already pay through the nose keeping it warm in the winter, hard to justify going the other way..

Grinding and welding does tend to hang around, as do paint fumes. I built a mini extractor/filter for just that problem.  In the summer I like to keep the doors open just for the airflow.

#4 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,519 Thanks
  • 3,394 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 09:27 PM

I have an ac in my garage, but I find it better for most jobs to use a high volume fan like a chicken house fan or whole house fan, etc... I set it near one door and let it blow back into the garage and force the inside air out. The moving air evaporates the sweat and cools the skin. It allows the doors to be open.
Now if I'm going to be sedentary, like soldering or working on the bench and don't need the doors opened often, I use the ac.

Edited by toppop52, June 26, 2015 - 09:29 PM.

#5 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 10:27 PM

I have an ac in my garage, but I find it better for most jobs to use a high volume fan like a chicken house fan or whole house fan, etc... I set it near one door and let it blow back into the garage and force the inside air out. The moving air evaporates the sweat and cools the skin. It allows the doors to be open.
Now if I'm going to be sedentary, like soldering or working on the bench and don't need the doors opened often, I use the ac.

For people down south that's probably a very reasonable response. Around here I only get 5-6 months of above freezing temps. Spring and fall, historically, can be pretty chilly. I keep the doors open as much as I can, but I also have to manage my heat.

I keep 90 gallons of water as a thermal mass, and rely on a lot of metal in the shop to hold heat as far into the winter as it can. prematurely cooling it seems counter productive.

In the winter, I keep it comfy with a 1500 watt electric heater, I can generally maintain +15C all winter long, for about 135 a month.. In the summer, I rely on air flow to keep in comfortable.

Edited by Chopperhed, June 26, 2015 - 10:32 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,116 Thanks
  • 3,206 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 12:16 AM

6 degrees C here , with north wind. Is it ever going to warm up. Frost warning tonite ??? Noel
  • JDBrian and Chopperhed have said thanks

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 04:52 AM

That's what my thermometer has been reading for the past week. Gets rather toasty in late afternoons.

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,572 Thanks
  • 3,956 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 05:20 AM

We have been seeing those temps quite often. It is hard to stay hydrated day after day.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 06:08 AM

6 degrees C here , with north wind. Is it ever going to warm up. Frost warning tonite ??? Noel

Noel, it's been cool in the nights this summer so far. It's only 10c right now at 8am here. North winds seem to be the culprit lately. We have had a few days where it's gotten to 24c 75F and that's about it for heat so far. 

• Chopperhed and propane1 have said thanks

#10 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,519 Thanks
  • 3,394 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 06:58 AM

We have people here that got talked into buying evaporation coolers, that run water over cooling fins as the fan blows air across them. When I lived in Stockton, CA they worked great, as good as ac in most cases, but the humidity there in summer is 2%-10%, so the evap rate is tremendous, around here the humidity runs from 50% to sometimes in the 90% range, but often in the 60% range. So you don't get the evaporation and the fan is just blowing humid air into the space. I don't think they understood the mechanism before buying.

Another thing that a lot of people don't understand is that warm air holds way more water than cold air, so 50% humidity at 35°f is way, way drier than 50% humidity at 80°f.

Edited by toppop52, June 27, 2015 - 06:58 AM.

#11 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 07:06 AM

I know, I should be the last one to complain, living where I do.

It's hot, for around here. I'm old, fat, and not used to it.

attachicon.gif004.JPG

The thermometer hanging on the door of one of the cabinets in the shop.

I've got both doors open, and a 24" box fan blowing at me.

too hot to really do much except drink beer, fake beer and ice water. Cooking is out of the question.

That would be a "cold" snap here!

• KennyP and Chopperhed have said thanks

#12 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 02:43 PM

Cool here in Southern Ontario for this time of year....about 14C (55F)....Nice for doing yard work and tractor repairs. 

#13 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 08:31 PM

Heres the thing. It's Sunday. 7:30 in the evening.

The neighborhood is nearly silent.

No dogs barking, No children playing, no sirens ( scary) I'm not even hearing traffic out front.

It's like everyone is inside trying be stay cool.

Hell I haven't heard a gun shot all day.

This Is not normal. :(

• KennyP said thank you

#14 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,730 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 12:11 PM

around 90F doesn't sound bad, one year we got up to 115F and 112F in the living room of the house!..... Oh........ by the way we don't have a AC :angel:

In 2011 we had broke a record of 53 days in a row over 100F :firejumper:    (again no AC)   :poke:   :smilewink:   :D

In the winter we have gotten as cold as -20F with a 30mph wind!. Ah, got to love KANSAS! :rocker2: (not really, it's a hole! don't come here) lol.

(so you know I'm telling the truth! :smilewink:

http://www.weather.g...t_record1002011

Edited by BTS, June 29, 2015 - 12:13 PM.

#15 3v0 OFFLINE  

3v0
  • Member No: 26648
  • 79 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 12:20 PM

We are normally low humidity here so evaporative coolers work great most of the time.   

I have an old one sitting on a rollers that I use to blow cold air where I need it.   Thinking modifying it to be easily moved with the loader or 3 pt.  It is not all that heavy when empty but it is bulky.

The nice thing about an evaporative cooler is that they don't recycle the air so they work well when welding etc.

• toppop52 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hot, day, heat wave