• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 06:27 PM

It just seems odd, but every 108 I see pics of has wide front tires and mine has the narrow ones!

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#17 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 07:46 PM

I took the front spindles off of the 108 tonight. Going to have to replace the kingpin bolts and repair or replace the bottom hole of the left spindle. I had a major toe out issue and when I jacked it up to make it easy to adjust the tie rod the spindles relaxed more that I like to see... Ever.

In fact, the toe out created a bad situation because I always watch the left front tire going up ramps, and the front slid off the ramps to the right. (toe out meant it pulled to the right) Luckily no bad things happened (font end dropped onto the right ramp) and we loaded it by shoving it on the trailer, no driving. Anyway, watch for toe out when buying tractors guys. It might not give bargaining room, but it might keep you safely upright while loading.
  • MH81 and IHCubGuy have said thanks

#18 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 11:00 PM

I took the front spindles off of the 108 tonight. Going to have to replace the kingpin bolts and repair or replace the bottom hole of the left spindle. I had a major toe out issue and when I jacked it up to make it easy to adjust the tie rod the spindles relaxed more that I like to see... Ever.

In fact, the toe out created a bad situation because I always watch the left front tire going up ramps, and the front slid off the ramps to the right. (toe out meant it pulled to the right) Luckily no bad things happened (font end dropped onto the right ramp) and we loaded it by shoving it on the trailer, no driving. Anyway, watch for toe out when buying tractors guys. It might not give bargaining room, but it might keep you safely upright while loading.

It's a good reminder as well that we shouldn't ride our tractors up certain ramps like going into a pickup truck.

#19 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 05:27 AM

Looks like a nice load
The 108 sure does show some promise.
The 109 has all the rear end parts You were needing?

#20 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 11:05 AM

Ya, I should be able to use the 109 to put brakes on the 102.
  • MH81 said thank you

#21 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 11:23 AM

I don't know anything about Cubs except that there yellow and white and sometimes red.

Hope this helps. :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:

• wvbuzzmaster and KennyP have said thanks

#22 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 01, 2015 - 10:50 PM

So I was test fitting the new 1/2" bolts I bought to replace the worn out kingpin bolts into the decreased spindle assemblies I removed from the 108 and found the key contributor to the toe out. I thought it was weird that I had a toe out issue so severe when I compared the tie rod on the parts 109 to the 108 and they were adjusted the same length, but thought ok, the kingpin bolts and holes in the spindles are worn, bolts just need to be replaced do to way bad condition. However, tonight I found something much harder to fix, the right front spindle assembly is twisted backwards so far that when you look at it you realize "There's the problem!" Now I seriously doubt I can fix that, but I can replace it with the right front spindle assembly off the parts 109 which only had one spindle left anyway (cant believe it is the one I need though lol). The bonus is that the right spindle itself on the 108 is seriously worn (step) and the 109 spindle is much better, just a little rusty from sitting with no grease and a week outside now... But I removed it tonight and I hit it with the brass wire wheel side of the buffer and it cleaned up decent enough. Anyway, when I envisioned taking the front end apart when I got home being a bad idea.... Looks like I was wrong... And right to pull it apart. So how much of a hit would it take to bend that spindle??
  • MH81 said thank you

#23 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 01:51 AM

The words "Right Turn, Clyde" come to mind.
Good you had the spare parts!

#24 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 08:52 PM

Added headlights. Much better.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436061236.710989.jpg

#25 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 06:20 PM

Ok guys, the Cub Cadet 108 is ready for its first show. The steering is reassembled with the new heim joints (awesome upgrade) and the carburetor is working well. I figured 1 of 5 issues could occur, and was hoping number 1.
1) float msadjusted
2) float sinking
3) needle seat issue
4) main needle issue
5) cracked carb
When I dropped the bowl I found issue number 1, the float was adjusted to where it woud almost touch bottom of the carb body. Score, so cleaned and inspected all other parts and reassembled (all on tractor). Turned the key and no offers.... No Gasoline... Dang it, so after gasoline it was up and running.

All that's left to repair is the shifter (minor) and the loose starter generator pulley on the crankshaft. I tried the set screws, one doesn't even work, and the other doesn't even help lol. No time to pull apart, just going to have to let it go til next weekend, after the show.

#26 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 08:16 PM

Well, the 102 and 108 are loaded with only minor incident. I put the 102 on the trailer first, followed by the 108. The 108 has great brakes, but they will need to be backed off a little so that the clutch has a chance to work before the brakes.... Good news is the seat on the 102 is on a hinge and lifted a few inches as the 108 ran into it... Yikes. I will be taking tools to the show to work on the brakes tomorrow lol.

#27 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 06:41 PM

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439077268.260041.jpg
  • BNK said thank you

#28 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 06:48 PM

As you can see I no longer have a PTO clutch on the 108. If you recall the main generator pulley was loose on the shaft. Once disassembled I found why, and that it was unusable. Solution was a Browning 1P3V69 taper lock pulley with a Browning P1-1 bushing, and top that off with a Browning 3L320 belt (it was a mispurchase I never returned on another tractor). The pulley is 6.9" OD as opposed to the original 7.4" pulley, but it was NOS and came in grey primer. The bushing was also NOS and came in bare steel so a couple cans of paint it was looking good. Ok, I ran out of CC yellow while painting the pulley, so the hub color was chosen as an alternative color lol. All works great though.

#29 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 07:02 PM

hey still have anything left of the 109? is the 1250 still available? I know you said it was pretty picked over but thought it couldn't hurt to ask,  I need a few things for my 129 (109 should be the same besides HP of original engine)   and for my 1250.

#30 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 09:15 PM

I doubt the 1250 is still available, it has been a few months. I could try to locate his phone number, but I bet it's gone.

I personally pulled the rest of the 109 apart. What parts are you looking for on your 129?
  • dodge trucker said thank you