Dads day late story.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

• Member No: 58852
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted June 25, 2015 - 01:45 PM

My dad wasn’t big into hunting and fishing. It was mom that took us boys fishing most of the time and she enjoyed fishing herself. But dad would go sometimes even when we could only bank fish, but it was mostly her. I bought a boat in 1968 and dad started going fishing a lot more with Mom and I on weekends. Loved when dad would land a bull head and start yelling cut the line cut the line He just didn’t like bull heads except to eat. Later after he retired we bought him and mom a 12 foot boat with 4.5 HP Mercury motor. They spent a lot of summer time fishing from that boat and would go their own way in Canada when we were fishing several of the bigger lakes up there.
Dad started deer hunting when I became old enough to deer hunt. I myself cannot ever remember him shooting a buck of his own LOL, Once seeing a buck Rob had just shot trying to get up dad shot it. Rob and I should have dogged dad where ever he hunted as he roamed all over the woods as he got cold easy. We should have dogged him though because he would meet up with us he would tell us he seen a buck but didn’t shoot it because he didn’t know where we boys were, every day we hunted deer and every season. Of course we knew he was fibbing, but it made him happy so why rain on his parade. We had planned a moose hunt in 1970 if certain things panned out. Dad and I both had a Winchester 94’s in 30-30’s so we bought rifles we felt more suited for moose hunting. Dad bought a Winchester 88 in 284, Rob and I later reloaded for it trying to get the mule kick out of it. I used to sight it in and check it every year before deer season so dad would only get scope cut once for the one shot he took to make sure he and I shot the same.
I finally bought him a nice Rugar 77-243 that he liked and was is a nice rifle. Since dad got cold so easy we built him a small box to sit in and pull a tarp over his lap. Thinking back I cannot for the life of me understand why we didn’t just build him a nice blind to set in with heat. He and Rob built one later after I started hunting in the UPPER.
I am not sure when dad started small game hunting with us. I am not even sure what gun he used Maybe a old breat up Ivers Johnson 410. I bought him a Itchia model 37 feather weight in 20 ga. He hunted with that a lot after wards. I think it was Robs dog skunk that got him to going with us.
Rob and I bought dad a Mercury Hurricane electric start snow mobile and he would go with us. He took great pride in being the one who towed someone home that broke down or ran out of gas. Everyone got to calling it Fred’s tow service machine.
Later in life dads favorite winter past time was heating the house. Everyone would walk in the back door and die from the heat wave that hit them. There would sit dad in his easy chair in long johns flannel insulated shirt insulated jeans and pack boot on next the wood stove he had roaring.
I sure miss those few short years we hunted and fished together. Dad did a lot of other thing for us. He would get the camper packed and the truck full of fuel for the trip to Canada and drove a lot of the miles his self.
He was always ready to take the tractor and loader in to a place in the woods to retrieve a deer for us.
Kind of wish I wouldn’t have gotten after him so much about all the bucks he would see and not shoot because he didn’t know where we boys were. You could always count on him coming around several times a day and take a empty thermos and bring back a full one of hot coffee or fetch a sandwich if you asked.

:D   Al

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 16 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,515 Thanks
  • 7,378 posts

Posted June 25, 2015 - 01:53 PM

Our Dads still live in our memories.
  • hamman, tinbender7, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks

#3 tiretrx ONLINE  

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 772 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted June 25, 2015 - 01:55 PM

Sounds like your Dad was a fine man, Al. Thanks for sharing.

• hamman, tinbender7, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#4 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,400 Thanks
  • 706 posts

Posted June 25, 2015 - 01:56 PM

Nice story, thanks for sharing, as we get older we find ourselves reminiscing and it seems we should be able to go back and relive it but we can only do so in our minds, Model 88 .284 eh, pre '64 ?
  • hamman, KennyP, tinbender7 and 4 others have said thanks

#5 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,242 Thanks
  • 7,472 posts

Posted June 25, 2015 - 05:16 PM

Good one!

#6 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted June 25, 2015 - 06:06 PM

Great story alley ! I too have some fond memories of my dad and our hunting. Maybe some day I will tell a couple. For now I like reading yours. Thanks.

• tinbender7, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#7 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

• Member No: 58852
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 04:54 AM

1972-- 284 rifles discontinued at years end. There were approximately 35,300, 284 rifles manufactured from 1963 to 1972 . There were 2,925 with cut checkering stocks and 32,400 with impressed wood stocks. The serial number range for rifle's is 139,600 to 277,257

Not sure what the serial number was on dads rifle, it was bought used in 1969 I do know that. I will have to ask my brother as he had it last I knew.

:D   Al

#8 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • Member No: 51434
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 11:16 AM