• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 863 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted June 25, 2015 - 01:35 PM

About 1978 we took our annual fishing trip to Canada the party consisted of Mom & Dad brother Rob and I. Dad drove the pickup with the 11ft. Wolverine camper, I drove my CJ7 and towed the two boats we would use.  We went to a lake (Mountain Ash) we had went to the year before for the first time, where there was a primitive camp ground we set up in. We had the place to ourselves for a whole 10 days. We only had to share the fishing on the lakes in the area with a few loons.  Fishing wasn’t bad there but Rob and I had wander lust so we pulled my boat from the water and drove down a two track logging road to another lake nearby. We couldn’t find the lake on the map of the area we had so we named it Rabbit Leg Lake. It had a narrow  area near the trail where we launched the boat then went thru a narrow area that had a crook in it like a knee that opened up to a large area like the thigh of a rabbit leg. Rob and I fished the lake for half a day and caught a bunch of fish before we returned to camp for dinner and get set up to take the folks there that afternoon.  We returned after dinner and cleaning up. We got the folks off in Dads boat then Rob and I lunched my boat. We hadn’t trolled far when Rob said he had a snag. I shut the forward motion down by flipping in reverse so he could reel in line then the snag started moving at an angle away from the boat. That was no snag we decided. Rob kept working it and finally landed a very big Pike. I don’t remember just how big but I think in double digits.
We caught a bunch of fish there many in the near double digit size. We visited that lake a couple times that trip. One other nearby lake we used the jeep to get to was round and shallow and we had to drag the boats about a hundred yards to get them in the water. On that drag path was a tree clawed by a bear about 9 feet high or higher. We caught a bunch of pike there but they were all little hammer handles size. I think we only visited that lake that one time. Two years later whe had a great time with our cousin Rick and Nick and Ricks two boys and a friend of the oldest.

scan0002-1.jpg

scan0007-1-1.jpg

:D   Al

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 10 others have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted June 25, 2015 - 06:08 PM

Very cool story. Thanks for sharing.                                                                                                                                                                      Roger

• tinbender7 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted June 25, 2015 - 07:46 PM

I've been lucky enough to live here since the 60's. The stories you remember are a part of our heritage,

It's getting hard to experience things like that anymore.

Algae in the lakes, non-native species,  it's hard to find a place to drag a boat to. But that's just in Alberta, the other provinces have better lakes.

• hamman, tinbender7 and propane1 have said thanks