20 replies to this topic

#16 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 06:14 AM

You shouldn't even know it's back there.

#17 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 06:24 AM

The other thing taller tires do is save your trailer wheel bearings, taller tires turn fewer revolutions to cover the same distance, saving wear on bearings as well as tires.

As for noticing the trailer, between the weight and the aero resistance and the fact that modern trucks have much taller tires than older trucks did as well as overdrive and in recent years a trend towards taller gearing to save fuel, your modern gas powered truck is far less likely to be in the power band at 60 MPH than say a 1970's truck. That's not to say modern trucks aren't better in almost every way, they are, but that's why they put tow/haul buttons on them.

• KennyP said thank you

#18 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,066 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 08:59 AM

A 5.4 triton shouldn't even notice a trailer. I've pulled with a 6.0 gas Chevy a 4.7 dodge and neither of them noticed the trailer unloaded. And with reasonable loads only felt it when braking

since I have a lighter truck I tend to put my truck in "4" instead of "D" when I am going the boat or trailer. Truck hunts for gears much less.

#19 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 04:48 PM

A 5.4 triton shouldn't even notice a trailer. I've pulled with a 6.0 gas Chevy a 4.7 dodge and neither of them noticed the trailer unloaded. And with reasonable loads only felt it when braking

since I have a lighter truck I tend to put my truck in "4" instead of "D" when I am going the boat or trailer. Truck hunts for gears much less.

Maybe  worded the original question wrong. It doesnt down shift but comes out of overdrive when gong up long hills.

• Cvans said thank you

#20 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 08:07 PM

I don't know if Ford has a tow or tow/haul type button, setting , etc... But what those do is extend the rpm range before allowing up shifts, and often actually lock the convertor sooner to avoid heat generating slippage which is the major cause of transmission failure. Acts much like putting the selector in a lower gear and manually shifting to keep it in the power band.
Any time you add 800-1000 lbs and another set of wheels on the ground, then add in the aero drag, the truck is gonna feel it, and so are you. Unless you have turbo diesel or a bigger V8 with a deep set of gears. My old turbo diesel pulled my 7500 lb Donzi fine, but it had massive torque, 31" tires and 4.10 gears. Modern trucks can handle 1000 lbs, or even 2500 lbs fine, with little effort, but you should know it's back there. You get above 2500 and you're using a normal half ton truck with street gearing, it's going to struggle in some situations. They're compromise vehicles by nature. Doesn't mean you can't tow 5000 lbs or 8000 lbs if properly equipped, but you need to be realistic with expectations.
  • coldone said thank you

#21 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 09:50 PM

The tow haul function in my 2010 Ford Sport-Trac locks out the overdrive and changes the shift pattern. As soon as I hear it shifting in and out of overdrive when pulling a load I lock it out. Surprisingly it doesn't seem to alter the gas mileage much.