About a year ago I picked up a nice looking Aristocraft 0-4-0 with a bad motor for $40. Never have found a motor for it. Sunday while running the F1A-B combination the Receiver for the Train Engineer quit. Shorted out inside. Been running the A-B units since last spring and I figured I over loaded the output of the receiver and blew it. This morning I decided it was time to get rid of the power in the B unit. Tore it apart and removed both motors and drive shafts with worms. It became a free rolling B dummy.
The motor number out of the B and the 0-4-0 were the same. But the armature shaft on the 0-4-0 was longer than out of the B unit. The 0-4-0 required a worm gear on both ends of the motor shaft and it only had one. This would require the removal of a worm off the extended shaft of the B unit and put it on the motor shaft in the correct position to drive the second set of drivers of the 0-4-0. By heating the worm gear and using a small punch and special made anvil the worm was removed. It was then heated again and forced on the end of the motor shaft in the correct position. The worm on the other end of the motor shaft had to be moved out about 3/16" to be in the correct position to line up with the driver gear.
The rebuilt motor was then installed into the 0-4-0 loco and power hook up wire re-soldered to the terminals. After everything was all back together power was applied and it appears that the engine will function as I had hoped. Final test will be on the track.
As for the receiver unit I did manage to acquire an new receiver unit off eBay, the same as what I had. I am also looking into the possibility of going with the Locolinc set up with a battery back up. Not sure what the cost will be for that used unit yet but it has a ton of advantages of Train engineer.
Parta From One To Get Another Running
No replies to this topic