#1 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted June 24, 2015 - 07:56 PM

I am in need of a few rebuild kits for delco remy 12v starter generators.  I have been doing a little research but don't seem to be able to make heads or tails of what I am finding.  I need a simple kit with new bearings and bushings and brushes.  any of the site sponsors have any or anyone know the part # I need.  thank's.

Pete

• laurarg3 said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted June 24, 2015 - 08:08 PM

Are you looking for parts for the short stubby ones or the longer ones?

Do your starters have a Bearing and bushing or dual bearings on each end. I should be able to source some for you.

• Alc, superaben and petrj6 have said thanks

#3 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted June 25, 2015 - 04:47 AM

These are the larger one's, not sure about the bearings and bushings. Is there a way to tell without taking them apart? for now I would take a set for each style, I have four of these I need to rebuild.

Pete

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted June 25, 2015 - 06:22 AM

The ones with 1 bushing and bearing will look like this in the back

DSCN5905.JPG

Ones with dual bearings will look like this

DelcoRemySG_02.jpg

• Alc, KennyP, CRFarnsworth and 2 others have said thanks

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted July 03, 2015 - 03:12 PM

Pete , I see your only asking for brushes and bearings . Is this a common repair ? Reason I ask is this week the s/g on my PK stopped charging , still cranks . I took the one off the AC B10 in the mean time , the first thing I noticed was how much fast it cranks now ! I don't ever think it spun that fast lol I checked the ohm readings that I read online and seems to be in spec as far as the windings . I wonder if mine just needs for all the crap that's been building up inside for the last almost 50 years cleaned out and new brushes ?
  • petrj6 said thank you

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted July 03, 2015 - 04:56 PM

Pete , I see your only asking for brushes and bearings . Is this a common repair ? Reason I ask is this week the s/g on my PK stopped charging , still cranks . I took the one off the AC B10 in the mean time , the first thing I noticed was how much fast it cranks now ! I don't ever think it spun that fast lol I checked the ohm readings that I read online and seems to be in spec as far as the windings . I wonder if mine just needs for all the crap that's been building up inside for the last almost 50 years cleaned out and new brushes ?

Sometimes its a simple fix and another times  they require more attention .

I can have them sent out completely rebuilt and cleaned/painted  but its usually around $ 200-$250 for that.

• Alc and petrj6 have said thanks

#7 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,169 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted July 03, 2015 - 09:30 PM

Al,

Since most of these D/R are sealed for the most part (not ventilated), there is no way for the dust & grit from the brushes & armature to escape.  .....This build-up does affect the operation.

Ball-bearings that are worn can cause the starter to crank more slowly.  .....If the starter/generator is equipped with a bushing on the commutator end, a worn bushing can cause the armature to drag on the pole shoes, reducing cranking speed. 

There are separate windings for the field coil, which are responsible for charging.  .....If the field coils are shorted or "open", the starter may crank, but will not charge. .....The field current is controlled by the voltage regulator.

Don't be afraid to open one of these units - they're pretty simple.  .....Just mark the location of the end plates relative to the main housing. .....To remove the drive-end cover, the pulley must be removed first. 

I like to use brake cleaner to clean the components. .....It evaporates quickly, and does not leave a residue.

There are usually shims (washers) on each end of the armature, which may come off with the end plates.  .....Just be aware of there presence & location.

When re-assembling, I found it easiest to insert the armature into the brushes on the end plate before sliding the main housing over the armature, then adding the drive-end cover.

Ball bearings, can be cleaned & re-lubed if they are not worn.  ......Bushings can be replaced if they are worn, or lubed with grease.  .....I like to use a little wheel-bearing grease, as that does not easily liquefy when hot. ......Too much grease is not good, and can get on the commutator & brushes.

• Bolens 1000, Alc, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#8 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 06:28 AM

As of rite now I have 5 starter generators that need attention, not really sure what is the matter with some of them as I have marked them NFG at some point or another.  the biggest thing for the moment is the one on dads b-10 is loud and gets hot very fast so we are rebuilding it first of.  after that I will rebuild two more and probably clean rebuild and sell the rest.  As the others have said these are pretty simple units and usually don't require much attention other than maintenance.

Pete

PS  I got the bearings and bushings from bolens1000 and they look great !!!  thanks for that.

• Bolens 1000 and Alc have said thanks

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 07:00 AM

Don't mean to highjack this thread but thought it might be helpful for others . I took mine apart and found a lot of dirt inside (picture doesn't do it justice for the amount ), I should have seen how conductive it was before throwing it away but by the looks of the brushes it was from the them , the negative ( the one grounded to the s/g case) was almost worn so bad it was ready to fallout of the brush holder ! The commutator looks kind of funny towards the winding side but that's not where the brushes ride , just cleaned it with some emery cloth . 

Edit: Those pictures are after I used an old toothbrush and compressed air to clean . I will take it to work Monday where they have electrical parts cleaner to clean out better

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1665.JPG
  • DSCN1662.JPG
  • DSCN1661.JPG
  • DSCN1660.JPG

Edited by Alc, July 04, 2015 - 07:05 AM.

• Bolens 1000 and Bruce Dorsi have said thanks

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 08:46 AM