kohler no spark no compression

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RonaldDean OFFLINE  

• Member No: 72418
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 24, 2015 - 06:10 PM

I'm looking for troubleshooting help with my cub cadet mower.  I'm not getting any spark and hardly any compression.  

Yesterday, my mower would start, then stall.  It did this twice.  Now it will no longer start at all.  It will spin over but will not start.  I think it's lost compression, because it will spin over faster than normal.  I tried checking compression with my thumb over the spark plug hole.  I felt very little compression doing this.

The spark plug is not firing.  I checked the plug in a different machine and the plug will fire in that machine.  I checked a different spark plug in the mower, but I did not get any fire.

Could it be that the coil has gone bad?  How would I check this to find out?

Also, does anyone know how I would find out if this engine has a compression release?  I do not have any manuals to check this?

Kohler Engine information:

Kohler Command 12.5

Spec number:  1211

Serial Number 1922008244

Here is the information on the coil

Coil number:  02 51

KK 12-584-04

REP 14386-04

03 069 11

Mower information:

Cub Cadet Model 130232100

Serial 190774

Thanks in advance.

• laurarg3 said thank you

#2 shorty OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,319 Thanks
  • 3,740 posts

Posted June 24, 2015 - 07:00 PM

Welcome to GTtalk!

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,511 Thanks
  • 7,374 posts

Posted June 24, 2015 - 09:00 PM

Welcome to GTT. You can find the Kohler Manuals in our Manuals Section. You are allowed 3 free downloads per day.

The loss of compression can be from several problems but attack the easiest one first. The exhaust valves sometimes rust and get stuck in their guides. Try pulling the plug, spraying some WD 40 through the sparkplug hole and then using a bent wire to feel if the valves are moving while you turn the flywheel by hand. Check that the piston is moving too. If the exhaust valve is not moving, Move the piston to top of the cylinder and wait for the WD to let the valve slide closed. Repeat this until the valve frees up. Follow the troubleshooting guide for finding the ignition problem. Good Luck, rick

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,142 Thanks
  • 4,558 posts

Posted June 24, 2015 - 09:45 PM

Welcome aboard!  The boyscout gave great advice for you..  Easy turning is usually a busted rod or busted cam or stuck valves..  What tractor is it in?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kohler, no spark, no compression