• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted June 24, 2015 - 07:29 AM

Started out with a pen for the insulin shots I had to give my self. Those little needles I didn't feel was a problem so just threw them in the trash.
Been having to use syringes for a few years now since my old company went bankrupt and lost my good health care program , didn't feel right putting them in the trash so just boxed them up and labeled as used and took them in every time I had to see the doctor and the Nurse took care of them. Now I only see the doctor once a year and most time the consult on how my readings are going is a Phone consult with the nurse who reviews my reading I send by E mail.
So now I have a good stock pile of used syringes, from the twice a day injections. What should I do with them , not worry about the hasmat problem and just put them in the trash or some thing else?

:D   Al

• hamman and laurarg3 have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted June 24, 2015 - 08:24 AM

We have dealt with this for the last 10 years. My wife is diabetic and uses at least two syringes a day. Our question was to the Dr. first, can we bring these to you for disposal? " No if you use them at home you have to dispose of them properly" ! To the pharmacist, same question - put them in a box and tape them up and dispose of them in the trash or landfill ! 
 Now my wife and I come from a Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS background and have a hard time beieving this. So we went further , to the state, same question - dispose of them in responsible manner. ????? As EMTs and firefighters we were taught to dispose of " Sharps" in a sharps container and take them to the hospital to be disposed of. The hospital will not take them. SO we are at that point where the wife used a plastic detergent container wit a cap or a metal coffee container with a cap to put them in and then dispose of them in the trash. Not a very good thing for the environment as far as I am concerned. Hope you can figure out what to do with them. I've just recently seen progress in the area of unused prescription drugs where they are collected at some local pharmacies and police and sheriffs departments. Hopefully the medical profession and the and their suppliers along with the states will do the right thing and start collection points to dispose of these properly. I would rather see them incinerated to completely do away with them but that is also a no no.  Good luck.                                Roger

#3 Nxt2doc OFFLINE  

Nxt2doc
  • Member No: 66603
  • 623 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted June 24, 2015 - 10:00 AM

You might try your local health department or depending on the size of your community your local EMS station. I know we have taken care of disposing sharps for diabetics before, but we are a small community and things seem to work easier here. The plastic bottle is a great idea even a 2 liter would work well.  

#4 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted June 24, 2015 - 11:11 AM

My mother is diabetic injecting 4 times a year. Over here in the UK, the NHS (the National Health Service) provides a sharp bin for dispensed needles and these can be taken to the local GP/ medical centre for safe disposal. Alternatively, when my mum have her twice yearly inspection at the hospital she take the container with her and they usually give her a replacement. I suspect these are destroyed in the incinerator.

However, the GPs/medical centres are run as businesses and any wastage have to be paid for.

#5 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted June 24, 2015 - 11:20 AM

I have MS and inject 3 times a week. They told me to put the syringes in the sharps container and duct tape it shut when its full and just dispose in the trash.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,655 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted June 24, 2015 - 03:07 PM

With all my cattle syringes & needles, I pull off the needles, then pull the plunger out  place the needle inside syringe, sharp end up, then push plunger down tight into the needle, then toss into the dumpster.  On insulin needles I don't know that they're made where you can do this or not.

There are mailable services where you pay for whatever size sharps container you want, and simply mail it back to them for incineration when full.

#7 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted June 24, 2015 - 04:51 PM

My mom took insulin, and they told her to put them in a an old laundry detergent bottle and tape them up as others have said . I personally don't understand how the hospital has to dispose of them as bio hazard and a home user can just throw them out. But what do I know!

Good luck finding out what is legal; in your area . Tom

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted June 24, 2015 - 06:09 PM

I think biggest issue is getting poked by needles if anyone handles the trash. Never know what the use of them was and if bad deal or whatever. Aids with guys sharing needles makes for big spread of disease in some cities. Places in IN where outbreaks occur, the Gov even offers free syringes to exchange for drug attics, go figure.  I would think syringes would be no problem in trash, and a bucket for needles must last forever filling those up?  They get all rusty and cruddy before long?  Would think metal in ground would deteriate same as any metals in landfills, maybe even faster if that small. ONCE the plastic disolved, which my be Never???

Just my .02 on this and worth all that. No real answer here, sorry!

#9 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted June 24, 2015 - 06:27 PM

The issue is people getting stuck by used needles. Hospitals and health care providers have different rules to follow. It's not an environmental issue. It's a biohazard issue. The hospital won't take them from you because they have to pay for disposal. Put them in a plastic laundry detergent or drink bottle, tape them up and put them in the trash, not the recycling.

I put old nails, screws and single edge razors in bottles to keep them from getting lose and poking somebody or a getting into a tire.

#10 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted June 25, 2015 - 05:20 AM

Thanks for the reply's.

I have to inject twice a day. so that is 14 needles week.

:D   Al

#11 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted June 25, 2015 - 09:54 AM

Well I can tell you one thing NOT to do.  Flush them!  Believe it of not we ran into this situation at work last summer.  We have several different sewer systems to deal with at the township where I work.  One of the systems is a setup with some houses and a couple businesses on it and they each have their own tank that the flow goes into before being pumped into the forced main.  Every so often we pump out these tanks as they get a buildup of sludge and grease in them.  After we pumped them last summer we got a call that they found close to a 100 syringes and needles in the truck when they unloaded it.  Not sure which place they came from, and it's a little disturbing as we have to swap out those pumps from time to time when they go bad.

• olcowhand and MH81 have said thanks

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,655 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted June 25, 2015 - 10:12 AM

With all the disease transfer from drug abusers, it would be scarier than hades to get stuck by a needle you accidentally came upon.  Could end up deadly as well.

Al, maybe just get a 55 gallon drum, drill some tiny holes in the bottom to let out any accumulated condensation, and just put them in the barrel.  It would take a looong time to fill it up, then just set it aside out of the way and start another barrel.  A couple barrels would last a few years at least.

#13 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted June 25, 2015 - 12:10 PM

My mom has the same issue.  She puts the needles inside of a 2 liter pop bottle.  Fills up Dad wraps it in duct tape and drops it in the trash.  She could never get an answer for what to do with them.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted June 25, 2015 - 05:18 PM

Even the EPA has mixed messages here.
This pamphlet says to do a proper disposal thru several options, then in the cartoony part at the end, the say to put them in bleach jugs...
http://www.epa.gov/o...fs/han-care.pdf

#15 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 12:22 AM

My mil was diabetic and put her used sharps in a coffee can. When it was "full" she added some of that ready mix cement you just add water to, let it set and disposed of it at the rural dump site.