- - - - -

Delta 28-560 3 wheel Bandsaw ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 10:38 PM

I have had this saw for probably 10 yrs. It has been in storage for 5 yrs, never touched it after the flood.
Pulled it out of the shed yesterday, brought it to the garage and got all the stuck bearings free.
It is running fine now. Took two 150 grit discs to clean the rust off the cast iron table with my random Orbit sander. I always used this for wood working but they list a metal cutting blade # on the cover.
The bands are 82 inches long, and now comes my question.
Was at Mills Fleet Farm this afternoon and they had metal cutting blade that was 80 inches.
If anyone has one of these I am wondering if there is enough travel in the tensioner to use an 80 inch blade?

Yes I know these 3 wheel bandsaws have a reputation of breaking blades(due to the smaller radius of the wheels). I have learned to back off the tension when not in use and not be aggressive in feeding the material and have not had problems since the first blade.
  • hamman, holdenboy1960 and laurarg3 have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,519 Thanks
  • 2,551 posts

Posted June 24, 2015 - 06:56 AM

I've only seen one in the past.  I don't think those will work properly. Could cause premature failure of the bearings due to over tension and possibly miss aligning of the wheels and bearings. There used to be a place in Saginaw, Michigan called American hack and band. They made band saw blades to order for us when I worked in sheet metal in HVAC sales and sheet metal fabrication. They could make them to any size. and tooth configuration. Wood or metal, hard or soft metal. Good luck. Sounds like a nice saw.                                                                                                                                                                                    Roger

• JD DANNELS and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#3 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62113
  • 1,463 Thanks
  • 809 posts

Posted July 05, 2015 - 10:30 PM