Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

harbor freight mini tire changer

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 09:54 AM

I have the bigger one also and the MC adapter.  I ended up making a new base for the MC adapter so it would be lower and I have better control when doing MC tires.  I put a couple of new holes in the feet adjustments of the adapter so now I can work on tractor tires down to 8" wheels. 

You can use soapy water as the tire lube and it works quite well or you can get a commercial product from most auto parts stores.  After you break the bead before you try to remove the tire spray your tire lube in between the rim and tire all the way around.

When going back on with a tire, I use a tire lube paste, I will put lube on the edge of the rim and on the inside of the tire facing you.  As you go on with the tire keep the bead in side the drop zone of the rim, it makes it a lot easier.  

I also always remove the valve core when either repairing a tire or replacing one.  When mounting a tubeless tire you have to remove the valve core or you won't get the beads to pop.

If using a tube make sure the tire does not have any hole or Big cracks where when the tire flexes it pinches the tube.  If the tire does have a hole in it put a patch over the hole on the tire.

Plan on the first few time getting frustrated and struggling with the tire but as you do more of them it will get easier.  Good luck!

PS: look on youtube and or go to the No mar tire changer site and watch some video's.

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#17 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 10:04 AM

I like the silicone spray lube because it seems to soak into the old rubber and rejuvenate it. It also wont cause further rust on old rims.

There has been a great turn out of help for ALEC, proving that we are all in this together. Good Luck to all. Rick

• Alc, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#18 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 12:26 PM

WOW !!  thanks guys :thumbs:  lots of great stuff to work with here .

anybody use old tubes and contact cement for liners ?

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#19 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 02:05 PM

I have an old Cotes changer bolted to concrete in the floor.  Use it for about all the tires except the 6 &8" ones.  For those I put a draw bar pin in my vise, 3/4" ,7/8" or 1" pin. and drop the rim over that.  I have two large screwdrivers that have the bit and edges rounded and use those on the small tires.  I use regular tire spoons for anything larger on the tire machine.

When removing the tire I use soap & water on the bead.  When reinstalling the tire I get it started good first then put some soap water on the remaining bead.  I have found if the whole bead is slick the bead will not grab the rim and stay put when mounting.  Try to get one side to go over the rim and the other side slides up.  With the bead dry that don't happen.  We all have out own methods that work for us so use the one that works for you.

• MH81, HDWildBill and alec have said thanks

#20 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 02:33 PM

Guy's, keep hearing about this mini version changer. I have the bigger one, have seen the MC one, but never see the mini type. How do I search for that? Anyone with a link. I get HF emails with offers all the time and have not seen that smaller version. OR, how about a picture of yours at least to see what it is?  I mounted my big one on 2" tubing to put into my truck hitch. More solid when not mounted to floor. A little harder then to raise tire up to use bead breaker. Sometimes I break beads down on ground, then mount the changer in truck to remove. I'm still working on re-mounting procedure, don't have much luck with that yet. I also have some big tire irons and use them with it alot.

• alec said thank you

#21 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 04:14 PM

Guy's, keep hearing about this mini version changer. I have the bigger one, have seen the MC one, but never see the mini type. How do I search for that? Anyone with a link. I get HF emails with offers all the time and have not seen that smaller version. OR, how about a picture of yours at least to see what it is?  I mounted my big one on 2" tubing to put into my truck hitch. More solid when not mounted to floor. A little harder then to raise tire up to use bead breaker. Sometimes I break beads down on ground, then mount the changer in truck to remove. I'm still working on re-mounting procedure, don't have much luck with that yet. I also have some big tire irons and use them with it alot.

http://www.harborfre...ni tire changer

link to tire changer .

• boyscout862 and Bmerf have said thanks

#22 GTpicker01 OFFLINE  

GTpicker01

GT Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 42575
  • 579 Thanks
  • 518 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 05:31 PM

I have both the mini and regular size tire changer and I love both of them!
  • alec said thank you

#23 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 05:42 PM

well it works :dancingbanana:  definitely need an extra bar and in the vice sucks ( because my vise and bench suck ) bolted it to the end of a sturdy bench and  removed two tires and put one back on . probably a lot easier with not 40 year old tires :D and it has to be tight . real tight .

but it does the job and thats what counts .

I am glad we are in this together rick because I would hate to be in it alone :smilewink: .... now tell me what it is .. :bigrofl:

my banana is not dancing ?? what gives ?

Edited by alec, June 23, 2015 - 05:44 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,741 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 06:07 PM

All this and no pics? What gives?

• HDWildBill, boyscout862 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#25 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 08:13 PM

Here is mine.

A little more $$ than the HF model, but it is well worth what I paid. Greg Smith Equipment model,

I mounted mine to a piece of plywood for the time being. I stand on the plywood and work the tires.

20140424_164311_zpsu7ungge3.jpg

20140424_164455_zpslndmwvf5.jpg

20140424_165121_zpsw88aalue.jpg

• KennyP and alec have said thanks

#26 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 08:25 PM

All this and no pics? What gives?

okay fine ... here

p_00592.jpg

the patch didnt hold long enough to set the bead . I had it in a garbage can when it blew :rolling:

p_00595.jpg

the changer

p_00594.jpg

the proof of use and the needed tools

p_00590.jpg

my loader ...just cuz......pictures... ect ect ...

• olcowhand, KennyP, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#27 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 09:22 PM

That's a big hole to try and patch.....
  • KennyP and alec have said thanks

#28 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 09:29 PM

That's a big hole to try and patch.....

hahaha ! yea thats after the blow out . it was just a crack and little leak before i blew it up to probably 70 psi tryin to set the bead . what you see is the patch hangin out . but man it was loud :rocker:

• KennyP, boyscout862 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#29 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 09:53 PM

That will pucker you up. In high school a buddy almost lost an eye when a bicycle tire blew up on him. I think about that every time i seat a bead now.
  • KennyP, boyscout862 and alec have said thanks

#30 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 11:41 PM

That will pucker you up. In high school a buddy almost lost an eye when a bicycle tire blew up on him. I think about that every time i seat a bead now.

yea my wheelbarrow tire blew up in my face .  for some reason  :beer:  I got mesmerized by the cracks getting bigger in the center and BLAMO !! it was just like saving private ryan when his hearing went away after an explosion . I had rust shrapnel up both arms and thought Id blown something off . thats why I stuck the tire in the garbage can and put the lid on  :thumbs:

• KennyP, boyscout862 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks