8 replies to this topic

#1 blacktruck OFFLINE  

blacktruck

• Member No: 4033
  • 21 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 08:52 PM

Sadly I don't have much advice to dispense yet but I still got questions. :D

I'm looking for the PN's for the plugs, wires and points for this engine. I hate to think I need to make a trip to JD dealer. My only experience there was not too good a few years ago. Might just been me so I won't blame them. Where is a good source of parts for this model?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by blacktruck, June 23, 2015 - 12:30 PM.

• larisaPn and laurarg3 have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 09:22 PM

Member superaben at Old Paths Equipment should be able to help you out, if we can find him:

http://oldpathsequipment.com

Last we seen of him, he was running around like his a$$ was on fire and his hair was catchin'.
  • blacktruck said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 09:39 PM

Don't worry, before too long you'll be a pro and dispensing good advice like anyone else about a 420.

I assume if you have an Onan with points it is the classic B48G.  The B series had points, the next step was the P series which was electronic ignition. 

A tune up kit is $39, points, condenser, and spark plugs.  The plug wires are special Onan designs.  I think I have the materials to make a set, unless I used all the Onan style ends, otherwise we can order a set from Onan.

Member superaben at Old Paths Equipment should be able to help you out, if we can find him:

Last we seen of him, he was running around like his a$$ was on fire and his hair was catchin'.

His hair has stopped smoldering, but the burnt smell still clings on.  Folks say it will take some time to dissipate.  It was a bummer, though, since I burned the rear end out of my best pair of sunday-go-to-meeting pants.

Ben W.

• KennyP, blacktruck, Cat385B and 1 other said thanks

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 10:01 PM

His hair has stopped smoldering, but the burnt smell still clings on.  Folks say it will take some time to dissipate.  It was a bummer, though, since I burned the rear end out of my best pair of sunday-go-to-meeting pants.

Ben W.

You gotta quit stretchin' the truth like that. We all know you have no hair left, it's mowing season......  :wave:

:pushmower:  :bs:

:bigrofl:  :bigrofl: :bigrofl:  

• superaben said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 10:06 PM

You gotta quit stretchin' the truth like that. We all know you have no hair left, it's mowing season...... 

If you saw both my grandfathers, you would figure out I was doomed from day one. 

I stopped tipping my hat to the ladies years ago.  The reflection hurt their eyes.

Ben W. 

• Cat385B and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 07:05 AM

If you saw both my grandfathers, you would figure out I was doomed from day one. 

I stopped tipping my hat to the ladies years ago.  The reflection hurt their eyes.

Ben W. 

The "ladies" snickering was just too much!

• KennyP, Cat385B and superaben have said thanks

#7 blacktruck OFFLINE  

blacktruck

• 21 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 12:36 PM

Neat site. I will be checking and probably ordering soon. Really appreciate the info.

• superaben said thank you

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 09:21 PM

The "ladies" snickering was just too much!

Hang on for the ride.  It can't get too much worse.   I'm running on a couple hours of sleep, whatever food I can pick up and eat in the ten seconds between phone calls, and a six pack of Mountain Dew. 

Ben W.

#9 blacktruck OFFLINE  

blacktruck

• 21 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 06:40 AM

Found what seems to be a good source for parts. I made one order so far. I appreciate the comments and ideas for parts here. Here is my contribution to that.

www.greenpartstore.com

Haven't received the parts yet but the website worked well and the selection good. I'll know soon about the rest of it.