• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 blacktruck OFFLINE  

blacktruck

• Member No: 4033
  • 21 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 08:34 PM

Just bought my first JD. Not sure of much about it. Pretty rough and used but complete. Three control levers on the left side of the dash. No decals on it or books for it. Have started it but not much else so far. What are the functions of the levers and please don't tell me to move the hydraulics or something like that. Fairly well versed in many things mechanical but which outlets or functions does each control work? This tractor has two outlets on the front and a hydraulic deck lift.

Thanks for the help.

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 09:29 PM

The inner lever should control the rockshaft (mower deck) and/or rear 3 point. Middle lever controls the right (as seated) hydraulic outlets on the front, outer lever should be the left side outlets.

Some folks report the middle lever is the rockshaft, though. I think those instances are tractors that have been messed with. Move the levers forward, which ones lock forward into a float mode?

• superaben said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 09:44 PM

The inner lever should control the rockshaft (mower deck) and/or rear 3 point. Middle lever controls the right (as seated) hydraulic outlets on the front, outer lever should be the left side outlets.

You sound like you know too much about Deeres to be as decent a guy as some of use think you are.

Ben W. 

• Trav1s said thank you

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 07:07 AM

"Green" with envy?

#5 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 07:29 AM

Inner lever does the right front hydraulic ports, it has the float feature for using a blade, snow blower, etc. The middle lever does the rockshaft and three point (if equipped). The outer lever does the left front hydraulic ports. I'm currently in the process of restoring my 86 420.

• blacktruck and Cat385B have said thanks

#6 hdg4400 OFFLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 254 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 09:39 AM

Leonard VanCamp is right. Here is a page from the Operator's manual that shows the levers for the 420/318/316.

Attached File  420-318-316 Control levers.docx   1.62MB   18 downloads

Harlan

• blacktruck and Cat385B have said thanks

#7 blacktruck OFFLINE  

blacktruck

• 21 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 12:28 PM

Inner lever does the right front hydraulic ports, it has the float feature for using a blade, snow blower, etc. The middle lever does the rockshaft and three point (if equipped). The outer lever does the left front hydraulic ports. I'm currently in the process of restoring my 86 420.

Leonard VanCamp is right. Here is a page from the Operator's manual that shows the levers for the 420/318/316.

attachicon.gif420-318-316 Control levers.docx

Harlan

Much appreciated there gentlemen.

That is what I was hoping to be able to glean from this. Mine has been changed for some reason. The inner (right lever) is working the rockshaft cylinder. Center lever is slipping on the shaft and does not actuate the control valve so I am not sure which function it is or should be working as it sits. Outer (left lever) is operating the left side front outlet. No idea why anyone did those things but I will correct them. Gonna have lot's of questions I'm sure. I appreciate the sharing of knowledge here.

#8 hdg4400 OFFLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 254 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 01:23 PM

blacktruck:

Check your Personal Messages. I have some info on the 420 that might be of use to you.

Harlan

#9 blacktruck OFFLINE  

blacktruck

• 21 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 06:52 AM

I did disassemble the control lever mount to see why the center control slips. It looks like the wrong key in the shaft. The key was there and the grooves appear to be good. It looks like the key is too small. I'll make a run to the TSC store tonight for some parts. Now on to the hydraulic issue.