#1 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1538
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 07:55 PM

and they sure don't make them like they used to. Their top of the line had a really thin sheet metal frame. I just don't see how they will hold up to anything other than cutting grass.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 08:04 PM

and they sure don't make them like they used to. Their top of the line had a really thin sheet metal frame. I just don't see how they will hold up to anything other than cutting grass.

That is the problem though, most of society would rather just replace something once it is broke so the new tractors fit perfect. We are the minority as far as keeping stuff going as long as we can.

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 08:10 PM

No, they don't make them that way and sell them at Lowes. There are some great brand new GT's out there, but they are at John Deere dealerships, not Lowes or Home Depot. Sears offers a Snapper as their top of the line this year, but it starts at 6,000 I think. Snapper, Simplicity and Ingersoll are all that come to mind to round out the tough GT's still being made. Of course, they are all over 5,000 and closer to 10,000. Then add on a snowthrower, deck and a few other goodies and the total is out of the range of what most want to pay.

I did have the same feeling when I recently visited Lowes. The best GT for sale was the Husquavarna GT. Not bad, but not what you can get used for the same money.

I did recently see a commercial on television for the new Dixon. It even mentioned the ground engaging ability of it's sleeve hitch. I don't know if Husquvarna makes it or not?

I agree though, most folks don't want to pay too much and only want to mow the grass and maybe tow a little trailer. Present company excluded.

Sorry for the long winded way to agree with you. Had to get it out I guess.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 08:17 PM

I should have phrased my post better, meaning the big box stores. There are good tractors still being made like Dave said but you are going to pay pretty good money although with inflation it is about equal to what our beloved antiques sold for new.

#5 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 06:32 AM

These LT/GT's are not compareable with the heavy GT's we all love. But also look at the price, 1600-2000 for the box store models, what did a new Cub Cadet 1872 or JD 318 sell for in the early 90's? Yes the "good" ones can still be had, but be prepared to pay.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 07:21 AM

Yes the "good" ones can still be had, but be prepared to pay.

You've got that right.

#7 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 07:26 AM

It is funny about those $1500-$2000 Lawn tractors, just like it was already stated they pretty much cut grass...Think about what $2000 would do to your collection. I currently have 12 different tractors and most of them very capable with several attachments. I think I have just over $2000 in the whole lot. You know what these new ones have that our old beasts don't? Nice paint. That's it. Makes me sick...

#8 Salatino OFFLINE  

Salatino

• Member No: 1100
  • 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 07:46 AM

i gotta agree , ive walked past them a few times & looked a lil myself, I dont get it either. When you pop the hood on a new one it feels like you could snap it off if your not carfull. lol And the price on them, ouch, I could get a few nice toys for the price of one and be alot happier!

#9 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 08:15 AM

It is getting to the point that the mower decks on the box store stuff is thicker than the frames , lol. to each his own I guess.

#10 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 12:40 PM

I was in Lowes the other night and overheard the salesman talking to a potenial customer about the top line Husq.
"Its transmission is rated for ground engagement attachments like areators, pluggers, and dethachers"
I bit my tongue and kept walking, after all he was just parroting what he had been told.

#11 rwhiteley OFFLINE  

rwhiteley

• Member No: 2949
  • 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted May 01, 2011 - 07:50 AM

You didnt see much did you. Between MTD and Electrolux there arent any other choices until you step up to the independent brands that are in the $4-$5k range.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 01, 2011 - 12:48 PM

It seems to be all about big decks and the HP to drive them. You see a 20+HP engine and a 54" deck on a machine with a frame that is just strong enough to keep it all together when mowing. For GT capabilities you have to pay big bucks. I'll use the JD's as an example because I am familiar with them. I wonder how the JD 500 series tractors would compare to a 318 or even a 140 in terms of toughness and pulling power? I know they are more comfortable and have power steering but are they as capable in doing real work? The 700's are a different beast. They are very capable tractors and are also very expensive.

#13 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted May 05, 2011 - 02:29 AM

Digging into fuzzy memory of 5 or more years ago...
The debate was on for the wife and I to decide if the old tractor we were offered was worth $500.
We were new here, and I had been helping out a retired neighbor getting ready to move.(found out he taught shop to the owner of my company)
I did not know what a "garden tractor" was, but this machine with a shaft driven mower and tiller, hydrolic lift, and a plow blade just really impressed me.

So the research began, and the closest thing we could find started at $8000. without any attachments. Well that was an easy choice, if we had only known that old Bolens would be so addictive...lol
It's discusting to see the scrap they are selling with that name on it now, but I recon thats how it's gotta be done now...
You can't stay in business if you make stuff that can last for generations..........