27 replies to this topic

#16 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 04:07 PM

AWESOME MACHINE!!! Make sure you get a vid of that tiller when you use it! 

• Austen and Dennisjeax have said thanks

#17 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 08:01 PM

The exhaust stack is gone and the new muffler setup is finished. The main hold up in terms of fitment for the muffler was its outlet that prevented the hood from fully shutting. After flipping the outlet downward and clearencing it, we were in business. From there a salvaged section of piping from the previous setup was used for a downpipe to run from the new, flipped outlet. Exhaust exits out the side at a 45 degree angle through a SS tip.

However, there had be a curve ball.

What ended up giving us the most grief were the cables and their routing; particularly the throttle. Because the muffler sits in front of the cables, it forces them to make a sharp bend to run underneath/around it. This prevented us from being able to lower the muffler any as it would work against the cables and make them bind up. We actually tried it and ended up ruining the throttle cable in the process from it binding up and coming apart so we had to order another new one. The choke cable was a lot more forgiving and were able to route it down and through one of the slots in the firewall, but the throttle cable was another story. It took some time between the both of us to figure out the routing of it but in the end we were able to get smooth operation out of both. A custom piece was made for the throttle cable to carry over the muffler. The dipstick handle didn't need to be modified much now because the muffler sits up higher so all we had to do was bend the finger loop away from the muffler.

We've ran the machine around quite a bit and haven't encountered any issues. We thought it to be wise to go ahead and heat wrap the muffler to provide added protection as hood clearance is tight. At this point, only time will tell if there are any issues that arise but so far there haven't been any side effects so I'm going to roll with it.

Here's a video of it running: https://www.youtube....?v=Z0FHdQlgdYYT

UNTZkMPl.jpg
ofJzhX8l.jpg
S80zzL9l.jpg
vDA0sInl.jpg
nhC3y3vl.jpg
p6HpVeSl.jpg
M10kjdnl.jpg
ElNr32Zl.jpg
CbOYmaEl.jpg
MnHA1jcl.jpg
6nQwFzFl.jpg
New choke cable
zAvG00bl.jpg
New throttle cable

Tiller:
UDgeKshl.jpg
Got the tiller hooked up!

Ammeter:
The ammeter was not connected and got it wired in. It works good!

What's next?
I think I may install a battery box like the one I have on my Economy tractor. I haven't seen one installed before on a Bolens and have appreciated the one on my other machine. Since this is a resto-mod, I think installing a part like this falls well within the scope of this machine's overall character.

BTW, did I mention how much I LOVE this tractor?? t2020.gif

• Bolens 1000, MH81, LPBolens and 2 others have said thanks

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted August 10, 2015 - 06:48 AM

The machine just keeps getting better, glad the honeymoon is still in full swing. :D

#19 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted August 10, 2015 - 10:49 PM

Well I had one of those almost sleepless nights where I was planning out in my head what I was going to do in the garage the next day after work. thThumbsUp.gif
I took the original idea from the throttle cable shield and made myself a full muffler heat shield. It's made a pretty noticeable difference so I think this will be the final touch for this project. Funny enough, it also seemed to have quieted the engine down the tineiest bit more too, lol.

I'm not a machinist nor have very good skills at making things like this so I'm treating it as a template to have something nicer made out of.

hBGzR6Zl.jpg

ie3Ndw5l.jpg

u1IpJVhl.jpg

Edited by Austen, August 10, 2015 - 10:50 PM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#20 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted August 10, 2015 - 10:50 PM

Wow, looks great Austen!

• Austen said thank you

#21 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 01:46 PM

Wow, looks great Austen!

It serves its purpose for the interim.

Edited by Austen, August 11, 2015 - 01:47 PM.

#22 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 03:17 AM

Time for some in action footage!

• LPBolens said thank you

#23 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 08:00 AM

Now that looks fun!  :thumbs: Awesome machine there Austen! 

Lemme guess, that dirt didn't really need digging up, right? LOL I know how that goes, it's the same with me!  :D

• Austen said thank you

#24 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 06:27 PM

Now that looks fun!  :thumbs: Awesome machine there Austen! 

Lemme guess, that dirt didn't really need digging up, right? LOL I know how that goes, it's the same with me!  :D

lol!

There used to be grass there but it was getting spotty so figured I'd rip it up and replant it next spring.

#25 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 06:33 PM

That's even better when there's a reason for it. Heck, I go out to our manure pile and level it and push stuff around for no reason at all!

• Austen said thank you

#26 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 06:45 PM

lol!

There used to be grass there but it was getting spotty so figured I'd rip it up and replant it next spring.

Ah.. um.. I think there is more going on here than maybe you realize. Known fact there is no such thing as owning one Bolens, even if your not aware of it that '86 is , I'm pretty sure it's clearing the side of your existing building getting ready for the impending addition that will no doubt be taking place as your Bolens collection multiplies, no BS it's inevitable! Thanks for the vid. IMO it's hard to beat a LF Bolens when there's work to be done, one outfitted such as yours is makes it harder to beat.
  • Austen said thank you

#27 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 10:53 PM

That's even better when there's a reason for it. Heck, I go out to our manure pile and level it and push stuff around for no reason at all!

Haha, I'm definitely the same way! These are so much fun to use.

Ah.. um.. I think there is more going on here than maybe you realize. Known fact there is no such thing as owning one Bolens, even if your not aware of it that '86 is , I'm pretty sure it's clearing the side of your existing building getting ready for the impending addition that will no doubt be taking place as your Bolens collection multiplies, no BS it's inevitable! Thanks for the vid. IMO it's hard to beat a LF Bolens when there's work to be done, one outfitted such as yours is makes it harder to beat.

:D

lol! The garage is definitely filling up and a bigger buildling is in order.

I agree, you can't beat a LF Bolens. The hydrostatic trans combined with the treadle pedal go hand-in-hand with loader work.

Edited by Austen, August 18, 2015 - 11:47 AM.

#28 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted August 18, 2015 - 11:36 AM

That is sure looking nice. The 1886 is one of the best if you ask me.

• Austen said thank you