• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 21, 2015 - 10:37 PM

this belongs to my son. He bought it at an auction ~5 or 6 years ago, partially dismantled already.

I got the motor running, sounded good. he then finished the dismantling process, we took it in and had everything sand blasted. While he was still in high school we took it into the career center (he went to career ctr but took a different program) where the body shop class primed and painted it,

neither of us was impressed with how the paint came out. no hi build primer to fill in the pits, some very glossy while some is dull, some looks very over sprayed, the teacher was like "don't matter/ just an old lawn mower". 

The best paint was on the wheels and my son got to leave his machine tool class for a day or 2 and was allowed to spray the wheels himself with the teacher over his shoulder. Certainly better than what the teacher did himself... I do not believe that they even used any hardener in the paint like they should have.

We screwed up and used "IH White" on the white parts, did not realize that it was really off white, more tannish,  than these machines were.  Should have used something like a generic "refrigerator white" instead, would have been more correct. but the kid likes how the tan looks better than the "right" white.

We used the Valspar Tractor/implement series paint.

I  also coated the inside of the gas tank back when we got this machine and finished the disassembly that the ppast owner had started,  freshly coated tank has been in the attic and has not had gas in it since being coated  a few years ago. Should be well cured.

I have a neighbor that used to paint cars back in the day and is familiar with this line of paint that was used, I think my son has him talked into applying "one more coat" of yellow for us before it is the rest of the way assembled, neighbor said to just Scotch brite everything that can be reached/ and assemble all that is yellow and can be assembled at this point and bring it down...I'd  like him to also apply a clear coat but he says it probably wont be needed if we use hardener.

I think that we are to "that" assembly point.

Tires; found some Carlisle Sawtooth that are real close to original style via Ebay, basically all w can find for the back in 6.00-12 is V tread. Original style is more like a current "all terrain" tread that is currently popular for pickup trucks  (but nothing anywhere near that small  currently available)  We may have to settle for some good used ones, originals still here but badly cracked side walls...

The kid doesn't care about this because he isn't worried about putting a deck onto it, but I'd like to find a better shell than what we have here for it.

Edited by dodge trucker, June 21, 2015 - 10:38 PM.

• Alc, KennyP, Traill95 and 1 other said thanks

#2 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 03:36 PM

Sounds like you guys are on your way to a nice little project

Edited by Marty'70, June 22, 2015 - 03:36 PM.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#3 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 05:11 PM

That stinks about the paint job it received.  Sounds like the neighbor has you squared away though.

Is this the type of tire you are looking for?  They would be period correct tires for on it

http://www.millertir...try-turf-4-ply/

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 05:16 PM

also when he got it one of the 1st things noted was a profusely leaking rear end. In taking the axles out in hopes of just having to replace a seal or 2, we found the bushings shot in the end tubes and the axles gouged. Being that Nick (my son) went to the career center for machine tool/ tool and die, he made a class project of taking the axle shafts to be welded up (next room to his at school) and he put them on the lathe and turned them back down to standard size.

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 05:17 PM

yeah IH Cub guy that is what we were wanting to put on there, we don't need new though, finding something "used but better than ours" is what we are hoping for.  I have a couple of leads locally on that subject.

Edited by dodge trucker, June 22, 2015 - 05:18 PM.

#6 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 07:03 PM

Did they also come with bar-lug tires?

For about 1/2 the price, you could get these: http://www.millertir...isle-tru-power/

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 10:03 PM

thanks,  we are leaning towards some of the tru power style tires for the back, have a lead on some "better than we currently have" used ones.