#1 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 21, 2015 - 08:30 AM

This has me puzzled.I installed a heater on my Kubota and have ran the heater hose's to the engine and can't seem to get heat at the heater. What I did was remove the plug from just below the thermostat installed a nipple and connected the heater hose to there. This hose runs to the bottom line of the heater core. The return line from the heater comes from the upper hose of the heater core and returns to the engine block. Now this is the part I'am not sure of. Because there was no place to install a nipple into the block what I did was to remove a frost plug and make and install a fitting that taps snuggly into the frost plus. Anyway I figured to return the water back to the block so that it would always be warm/hot water. Somehow I'am not getting any heat at the heater. With the tractor running ,This is what happens when I loosen the clamp at the heater core I get water/antifreeze spraying out ,and its hot,plus the hose's get hot.Now when I tighten the clamp and stop the water flow the hose's start to cool off.After awhile they cool down to what the outside temp is. Why I'am puzzled is why don't the hoses stay hot. I thought maybe a air pocket but because of me getting water flow from both hose's at the heater core there should'nt be air trapped. Is it possible that because of when I look at the engine water flow diagram the water pump is pushing water up to the thermostat bypass [same area where the nipple is installed] and also pushing the water through the block in the same area. I know there's no retriction in the hose's because I can blow through them. Idea's anyone.Only other thing is to change the hose's not that would/should make any difference.

Attached Thumbnails

• heater lines 009 (Small).jpg
  • heater lines 005 (Small).jpg
  • heater lines 010 (Small).jpg

• laurarg3 said thank you

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted June 21, 2015 - 10:54 AM

Don't know really, but maybe water pump is too big of volume and the block is small cavity and can't handle that much volume coming back thru it?  I'm kinda thinking the block connection is gonna be the problem. I would look for something up front again to come back too, maybe you will need to cut rad hose and have BIG tee there. not sure where you would get that hardware tho. Do other K tractors have this option? Might wanna go look at others and see where they put these connections on them?

• massey driver said thank you

#3 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 21, 2015 - 11:54 AM

Don't know really, but maybe water pump is too big of volume and the block is small cavity and can't handle that much volume coming back thru it?  I'm kinda thinking the block connection is gonna be the problem. I would look for something up front again to come back too, maybe you will need to cut rad hose and have BIG tee there. not sure where you would get that hardware tho. Do other K tractors have this option? Might wanna go look at others and see where they put these connections on them?

I know other's with heaters remove the bypass hose and feed /return from there. I was trying to do something different rather then use the water pump bypass. My next option is to feed into the rad drain which is next to the lower rad hose.I know on my side x side's I have the return in the lower rad hose right next to the water pump. When I take a good look at the water flow diagram it seems like where I 'am trying to return into the block is actually a push from the water pump so looks like the way I have it right now I'am trying to push water into both hose's.

• limebuzz said thank you

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 21, 2015 - 10:06 PM

Could you have an airlock in the hoses to the heater?I knw I had a 71 Buick and it had a bleeder on the heater to let the air out of the lines. I had a Volkswagon Rabbit and the thermostat was on the bottom. filling the radiator the engine could overheat before the thermostat opened. You had to pour anti freeze down the top hose to fill the block before you started it.
I remember this well because I broke the plastic tank getting the top hose off and had to replace the radiator??

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 21, 2015 - 10:08 PM.

#5 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 08:07 AM

First thing I though was air.I loosened the lines at the heater to make sure I was getting antifreeze flow and not air.So I had flow [a spray]  from both lines.The lines would get hot as long as I was letting the antifreeze escape,as soon as I tightened the clamps the hose's would cool off.So I figure the way I have it set up the pump is wanting to push the antifreeze both ways.So my next option is to try and plumb one line in front of the pump [suction side].I'll try and do this in the next few days. Right now I,am busy using the tractor everyday for one thing or another.I don't need heat yet but would like to have it sorted out because stuff that doesn't work like its supposed to seems to bug me untill I get it sorted out.

#6 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 07:30 AM

Got the heater working. I removed the return line that I installed into the side of the block and fed it back to the drain line on the Rad. The heat output is fantastic.[Just as I suspected I was trying to push water to the heater core through both hose's] Now at least I know where I went wrong. I just did this temperarly to see if and would work. When things slow down I'll drill and tap a return line into the water pump's suction pipe.

• limebuzz said thank you