#1 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,320 Thanks
  • 2,414 posts

Posted June 21, 2015 - 07:29 AM

Another one found me.  Interesting color on it tho, Massey red.  It runs, it came with a mower deck, cast iron wheel weights, and snow blade.

First couple of pics are when I went to pick it up.  I bought from a pastor at a local church.  They were using it mow and to shovel snow off the parking lot.  He said he was worried about not having any safety switches on it.  The safety switches are there, they are just not hooked up.  I offered to fix it for him instead of selling it, but he wanted to sell it.  The first thing I did was to remove the stickers off of it. The guy  that the church bought it from worked for a Massey dealer.   I kind of like the red paint.  I might keep that. 

It is a big garden tractor.  That is my Ingersoll 4020 in the pic behind it.005.jpg

022.jpg 021.jpg 025.jpg

Edited by Delmar, June 21, 2015 - 10:57 AM.

• Gtractor, KennyP, sacsr and 3 others have said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,238 Thanks
  • 5,076 posts

Posted June 21, 2015 - 08:56 AM

Edited by toomanytoys84, June 21, 2015 - 01:00 PM.

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,461 posts

Posted June 21, 2015 - 10:37 AM

I Like red too, but would have left the decals on it, just for breaking up the amount of red.  It isn't what it's supposed to be anyway, why not leave them on. Not so sure about the numbers tho, they could be off. Those are big tractors. I had similar one and never liked you had to have legs spread kinda wide to clear dash and front areas, but I'm a small guy I guess!

• Delmar said thank you

#4 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,320 Thanks
  • 2,414 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 11:42 AM

Went on a road trip last weekend to Claremore, Oklahoma (225 miles one way for me)  and picked up  a Sears Craftsman FF20 parts tractor.  It had most of a  rear PTO on it and it had the lower lift arms on it that will fit on my FF18.  It was pretty much just a parts tractor too. 015.jpg There is a B48G  onan motor in it, but with that pulley on the crankshaft I would imagine this motor came off of a sears suburban or a GT, not a FF.  The motor does not run.  034.jpg 035.jpg  036.jpg 037.jpg

The lift arms found a new home on the back of the FF 18014.jpg

I have pulled the back tires/wheels off of the parts tractor  and Iam working on putting some new ag tires on them.  018.jpg First, I took the tires up to the firestone store in town and they pulled the tires off the wheels.  Both tires had inner tubes, and both tubes are in good shape.  I will reuse the tubes. Some one filled in the original valve-stem holes and made new holes in the side of the wheels.  weird.  022.jpg 020.jpg  I got started on preparing the wheels to paint, but was out of sandpaper.  019.jpg Had to make a trip to harbor freight!   I bought sand paper and a right-angle variable speed drill and wire wheel brush  to help remove old paint and rust from the wheels,024.jpg then I sanded them all over by hand, then I brushed off the paint and then cleaned the wheels where I was painting with acetone. I do that outside with gloves on.  It does a good job cleaning and leaves no residue.  I have an angle grinder, but I don't like trying to wire brush with it, it spins too fast for me and throws little pieces of wire everywhere.    Went to Ace Hardware to get paint.  Machinery gray is the color.  Looks pretty close to what was on them. 

023.jpg .  Got 2 coats of paint on them, that should do it.  enamel is a good paint, trick is to let the item painted set for a week or 2 to let the paint harden up good.  I know the can says dries in an hour or two, but it is not really dry down deep for several days. and can be peeled off fairly easily, especially when trying to mount the new tires.

Edited by Delmar, July 04, 2015 - 05:16 PM.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 02:49 PM

I'm happy to see this one out of the truck! I use the Hammered Silver by Rustoleum!

• Delmar said thank you

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,266 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 07:56 PM

Now you have two.
The lift will be nice on the 18. Can't go wrong with three point.
  • Delmar said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted July 05, 2015 - 05:13 AM

Hey Delmar, If I had the steel, I could bend you another set of 3-point arms for that second tractor. I've made 2 sets so far.

#8 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,320 Thanks
  • 2,414 posts

Posted July 05, 2015 - 07:32 PM

maybe.....gotta come up with a motor for it first...that onan in it is toast..might have picked up something for you today...john deere 140 h3
  • KennyP said thank you

#9 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,320 Thanks
  • 2,414 posts

Posted July 05, 2015 - 09:03 PM

Took the fender pan off of it today and power washed everything...the tranny was covered in black gunk.... I did learn something...when the po painted it red he also painted over the tranny vent...gotta fix that.

004.jpg 003.jpg 002.jpg

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 05:07 AM

I see it doesn't have a fan on it too.

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 05:11 AM

Looks pretty clean now ! What is that round canister thingy that has the red hose attached to it ?

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 05:56 AM

Looks pretty clean now ! What is that round canister thingy that has the red hose attached to it ?

That is part of the vent system. There is a little brass vent in the top, you can see it in the last pic toward the left tire.

• Alc said thank you

#13 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,320 Thanks
  • 2,414 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 06:24 AM

yep, that is the vent. and when the po painted the tractor red, he painted that little brass screen too and sealed it shut

Edited by Delmar, July 06, 2015 - 06:24 AM.

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#14 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,320 Thanks
  • 2,414 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 06:59 AM

I see it doesn't have a fan on it too.

yea, I need to do something about that. not sure whwre to look for one. I have a fan blade from an old case tractor, might see if I can make that work
  • KennyP said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 07:35 AM

yea, I need to do something about that. not sure whwre to look for one. I have a fan blade from an old case tractor, might see if I can make that work

I a little searching and found where I used a Ford fan. Had to jury rig it on there.

• Delmar said thank you