• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ridin-n-mowin OFFLINE  

ridin-n-mowin
  • Member No: 72280
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 11:11 PM

I have a 17hp Sears rider.  I don't know the model number but hopefully the attached pictures will give you enough info to give me advice. 

I was having problems getting the motor running so we pulled the transmission pin out and disengaged the transmission(see picture) so we could move it around.  (hopefully I am using the correct terminology)  I don't know if this has anything to do with my problem, but we left it in the disengaged position for over a week and when we got the motor running (so happy) I changed the location of the pin so it was no longer diengaged and found that the transmission wouldn't work (so unhappy).  The mower wouldn't move forward or backward.  I can hear a very slight "rubbing" sound when in forward, but nothing in reverse.  I don't understand transmissions AT ALL, but am somewhat handy with good instruction and would love to learn.  What are my options?  What do I need to check?  What information would I need to give you so you can make a for informed diagnosis?

Any help would be great and I would be grateful. 

IMG_20150620_224225_851.jpg IMG_20150620_224248_507.jpg IMG_20150620_224427_156.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,705 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 11:14 PM

I think you released the pin on the rear hitch plate, but the lever got hung up else where. Follow that lever to the transmission and see if it's stuck.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,766 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted June 21, 2015 - 04:26 AM

Welcome to GTT. I agree with CAT. Check our Manuals Section for your tractors' manual. Good Luck, Rick

#4 grattone OFFLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 222 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted June 21, 2015 - 07:05 AM

Might try blowing out area under seat and top of transmission, my brother had similar problem and there was so much grass clippings in there it could not engage. Gratton

Edited by grattone, June 21, 2015 - 07:06 AM.

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted June 21, 2015 - 07:11 AM

Yes, most likely junk keeping the valve from returning to fully closed position.

#6 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 994 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted June 21, 2015 - 08:24 AM

Hi I'm with the other guys in that the release is not full returning to the locked position, one other thought did you have either of the rear wheels off, if so check to see that the axle key didn't get left out.

Edited by MNGB, June 21, 2015 - 08:58 AM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,653 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted June 21, 2015 - 10:43 AM

Yep, spring not pulling trans lever back or such, or floppy links caught on each other, kinda jambed.  If you didn't feel some draw on pin when pushing back in, it most likely stayed out on the rear linkage areas. Lift or push up on something and get under it and look for linkages. OR, might need to remove wheel to see things?  Good cleaning of area with air hose or maybe even water hose with pressure (when cold) might clean junk out from there.

#8 ridin-n-mowin OFFLINE  

ridin-n-mowin
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 01:10 PM

Thanks for all the feedback.  Sorry it took so long to get back to you all again.  The area under the seat, on top of the transmission housing is clean and the engage/disengage lever is returning completely back to its correct position.  When I start the mower, the fan on the transmission isn't spinning (should it always be spinning except maybe when I push the brake\clutch in?).  I thought maybe it was the belt, so I replaced it, but it didn't fix it.

The brake\clutch isn't working either.  No matter whether I have the transmission engaged or disengaged and whether I have the brake\clutch on or off or any combination of those items, the mower is free wheeling (brake doesn't work either).  When I push the brake\clutch in, the tensioner pully underneath moves as it should and the lever it goes to at the transmission housing moves as it should too (although not sure how far it is supposed to move). 

The manual doesn't give any information about the transmission other than it is a sealed unit and needs to be worked on by a professional and it describes how to purge air out of the system.  I have purged the air per the instructions in the manual, but still no luck.  There is a roughly 5" long, 1" diameter rubber tube coming off the top of the transmission with a little cap on it.  When I remove the cap there is a small white plastic piece under it that looks way to small to be a filler hole.  is that the filler tube and I need a special tool or to remove the plastic piece to add fluid?

#9 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 994 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 01:23 PM

The cooling fan should always be turning it its not you may have a broke shaft or a key sheared which will cause the trans to not work, check that to be sure the input shaft is truning.

#10 ridin-n-mowin OFFLINE  

ridin-n-mowin
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 01:24 PM

Not sure how.  Can you describe how like you are describing it to a 10 year old?