• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alberta Bolens ONLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 06:49 PM

Bought a 455 project tractor this week.  Needs glow plugs and a battery.  Had it running by using a tiger torch to warm the engine enough to start it.  Seems to run and drive good.  I think there could be some electrical issues  PO i think kind a  butcher and BSr.  The photos in the add the tractor had side panels and 3 point hitch.  When I got there they were gone.  I did get the price down kind of annoyed me.  

At any rate got diesel!!

I know the side panel says 425 it put it on off of the parts tractor. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-20150620-00074.jpg

• olcowhand, Alc and laurarg3 have said thanks

#2 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 08:26 PM

Nice score!  I like the 425 parts and would leave it that way.

#3 Alberta Bolens ONLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 12:11 AM

It runs well.  Glow plugs don't work but its been hot enough in the afternoon it starts easy without them.  Dead short when I tried toast them in the machine the tractor.  Think I end up with push button for the glow plugs.  Ordered new ones.  PTO doesn't seem to engage I need to look at wiring think its simple fix.  Fuel solenoid doesn't work.  Think I'm going to put manual one on.  Think all in all its going to be ok.  $1700 I think was ok for just the tractor.  

#4 Alberta Bolens ONLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 10:32 PM

Fuel solenoid didn't work.  I took the choke lever and cable for a 425.  Put the lever on opposite side of the bracket so it would get more travel removed the finer spacer used couple washer instead.    It is now a manual fuel shut off.  Once I installed a good battery properly the all the gauges work.  Other than the fuel solenoid only other thing that doesn't work is the glow plugs.  Which should be in by end of the week.

The reverse pedal bushings seem to be worn so it does not have full reverse.  That will be the next thing to tackle.  Oil is changed fuel and air filters changed. Just waiting on the glow plugs.

Put 6 hours on it already 3 or 4 pushing dirt on the weekend runs well.

• KennyP said thank you

#5 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 01:10 PM

If it is like any other Deere I have used, the backward speed is limited to about 2/3 of the forward speed and I am guessing that is a safety thing.

Glad you are making progress.

#6 Alberta Bolens ONLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 02:29 PM

Some photos of the 455 and the short cuts to getting it running.

Used choke lever and cable off of a 425 to operate the fuel shut off.  I did have to cut a little bit from the side panel to allow enough travel of the cable.  This was a pretty simple fix

I had one glow plug with a dead short which I believe fried the control box.  there was no power getting to the glow plugs.  I installed a push button to activate the glow plugs manually.  

The tractor starts and runs really well  seems to have good power

.  Put 3 or 4 hours on it now pushing dirt.  There seems to be a fair amount of blow by coming from it.  I think PO put the tube into the air cleaner housing I don't think it was supposed to be there.  Getting the blow by in to the filters would plug the air filters off quickly.  At this point I'm content to let it blow by.  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-20150713-00126.jpg
  • IMG-20150711-00125.jpg
  • IMG-20150711-00124.jpg
  • IMG-20150711-00123.jpg

• olcowhand said thank you

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,576 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 02:42 PM

No, you don't want the blow-by tube in the air filter housing.  If a ring or piston failure occurred, the engine would become a "runaway" that you couldn't shut off unless you blocked the intake completely due to the engine running off oil vapors.  I've found most glow plug timers don't provide a long enough glow time in cold weather, so I too use a manual momentary switch.

• KennyP and Alberta Bolens have said thanks