Posted June 19, 2015 - 04:43 PM

• Alc, hamman, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 480 Thanks
  • 409 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 06:49 PM

There are still some mighty good people in this world.  You rarely hear of this kind of action on the news, just the bad stuff.

• Alc, hamman, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,581 Thanks
  • 38,979 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 06:54 PM

He is one of few! Most would have took them to jail!

• dthomp17 said thank you

#4 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,041 Thanks
  • 4,971 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 07:17 PM

This will get no attention in the full blown media. You won't see it on the front page of MSN. Ashame. News only reports bad news
  • hamman and dthomp17 have said thanks

#5 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,519 Thanks
  • 2,551 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 07:34 PM

Having been a young police reserve in the late 60s I was taught by some "oldtime" officers that you can get respect from people by caring and compassion. Numerous times in my and others police careers I, (we) had situations like this come up. Not once were we looking for any recognition or reward for doing what is just plain the right thing coupled with common sense, to do. I have taken money from my pocket, gas from my tank, and even offered shelter to a couple of families at my home in the dead of winter that had no place else to go because of different situations and circumstances. As policing has progressed so has society in it's raising of generations of those who would try to use or abuse a system for their personal longtime gain. As in every profession there are those who are hard line or have a personal agenda or vendetta against people. I would say the 95% of Police Officers ( State, County, Township, Municipal, and City) are there for the citizens they protect and serve and those who they encounter every night or day as they go about their profession. The good outweigh the bad and are truly compassionate for people. I can say that there were times that when needed myself and others would not hesitate to arrest those who were less than civil and polite to us.

Every situation and call is different and as different as they are they have the possibility of being a positive and enlightening meeting for both sides of the call. I don't think I ever went into a call or encounter with a preconceived notion that those we were going to interact with were anything but a citizen in need.

As I said i was raised and trained old school and sure wish that it was that way today. So many of my friends who are still Protecting and Serving now have to scrutinize every call, encounter, chance meeting and conversation is possibly going to scrutinized, video and audio taped for all to see. With that in their mind every day every shift they still don the uniform the badge, star, or shield and walk out of their home with one thing in mind ...... returning home safe that night and hopefully having made someone they met feel comfortable and safe.

As a supervisor and trainer I always told officers that their safety is first and then the safety of the people they serve. I also taught that the tone and kind of treatment they give to someone is what they will likely get back not always but most of the time.

Sorry for the sort of rant , I just can't get the profession out of me and I pray for all of our Police, Fire and EMS personnel that put their lives on the line every day. Thank you.                                                                                                                                                                                                    Roger

• Alc, tractorgarden, dthomp17 and 6 others have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,041 Thanks
  • 4,971 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 08:04 PM

If only there were more men and woman like you and your fellow officers like in the world of world be a better a place.
  • Alc, hamman, tractorgarden and 1 other said thanks

#7 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,117 Thanks
  • 5,663 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 06:45 AM

I have nothing but the utmost respect for our law enforcement who risk their lives everyday on every call. They deserve respect and the support of the citizens that they protect. No matter what the guvment says.

• Alc, hamman and tractorgarden have said thanks

#8 toppop52 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54420
  • 3,207 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 07:10 AM

That is the way it was, until the modern, liberal, me society came into power. We helped our neighbors, expecting nothing, except that if we were in need, they too, would help us. I miss that world.

• Alc, hamman, tractorgarden and 3 others have said thanks