• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JohnDeere110 OFFLINE  

JohnDeere110
  • Member No: 69034
  • 146 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 02:18 PM

I was mowing 2 yards on the 214 when the engine started sounding strange. It only happened in the second yard but it started to "sputter" and sound like it wanted to shut off. I did let it cool off to, I mowed one yard then ate lunch then mowed again, so I don't think it was to hot. Any idea what is wrong???

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 02:23 PM

Did you pull the choke to see if it made any difference? Started to "sputter" is kind of vague.

• JohnDeere110 said thank you

#3 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 03:40 PM

Maybe got some crud in the carb somehow??

#4 JohnDeere110 OFFLINE  

JohnDeere110
  • 146 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 04:54 PM

I forgot to mention, we sent it to a local repairman a few days ago to fix another noise and he replaced the carb, coil, and condenser.

#5 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 10:18 PM

I would check the wiring.  First check the wiring connection at the switch.  Some times the plastic housing that connects to the switch gets burned, because of bad connections.  then check the wiring for breaks in the wiring.

If you had the carb, coil and condenser replace, I would check the points.  Clean and file them and reset the points.

Wiring problems are hard the fix sometimes, but them can be if you take your time check it slowly with a omn meter, you will find the problem.

good luck

#6 JohnDeere110 OFFLINE  

JohnDeere110
  • 146 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 11:37 AM

Did you pull the choke to see if it made any difference? Started to "sputter" is kind of vague.

tried that and it made it worse. Im thinking the choke is to far "closed" in the carb.

#7 JohnDeere110 OFFLINE  

JohnDeere110
  • 146 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 02:09 PM

Ok, so I found a fix to the problem (well... at least for today its fixed :D ) I decided to tinker on the carb to see if that made any difference and sure enough it did! In the manual it gave all the instructions on how to adjust it all and what I did was close then open the high-speed mixture. I opened it to about 2 and a quarter turns, and its running a lot better.

Just hope it wont act up again! :biting_nails:

#8 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted June 21, 2015 - 12:03 AM

Screenshot.png

the setting are for a cold motor, for a starter point.

some time after the motor has warmed up you might hve to adjust the carb to get it to run smoothly.

I has several Deere from 8 hp to 14 hp and the setting on each one is different on each, to get them to run smoothly.  I try to set the high rpms to around 3200 to 3300 rpms with my dital tach,

there are several reasons why.  some can be because of the spark strength.  some can be because of all gas that have gone through the carb, wearing the passages in the carb to become larger.