• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • Member No: 51604
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted June 18, 2015 - 03:38 PM

How much does it cost to replace the clutch on a older power King tractor? The 1980's version.

Edited by tom tractor, June 18, 2015 - 03:39 PM.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 18, 2015 - 03:42 PM

You'll have to be more specific.

#3 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted June 18, 2015 - 03:48 PM

Well I'm looking at a tractor and the guy says it only drives in gear it does not come out of gear one you're driving. I believe the tractor needs a brand-new clutch I would probably have to pay somebody to do it

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 18, 2015 - 03:53 PM

Could easily be a shifter issue. What transmission does it have?

#5 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted June 18, 2015 - 04:03 PM

What happens when the clutch is pushed in? Does it keep going? If so ,the clutch could be froze up,sometimes they will break loose just driving them with the clutch pedal pushed down. 

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted June 18, 2015 - 05:08 PM

Trans stuck in gear is common on PK's. Ball on end of shifter shaft wears thin and goes between the two shift rails. You can unbolt the top of trans (4 small bolts) and lift up and re-position the gears and make sure the shifter is loose and forks back into the gears they are for and bolt up, should be good to go, till it does again.  PROBLEM with doing this is the center metal tin needs to come off to access the trans, that is another major tear-down. If I had to do this, I would fix the end of shifter while out. Needs to be welded up and ground flat on two sides to fit and should be good for long time. There are a few fellas on the Yahoo/PK forum who will fix that for about $50 last I heard. This is just fixing the shaft, You send to them and them back. Nothing to do with removing and replacing the parts in trans. A new gasket would also be good to do. Can make or buy one easily. Some guys just cut the tin over the trans and or make a little movable or openable tin cover there, just because of this issue. Regular PK guys will "cringe" when they see that done. I took my tin right off and have open drive line, made a floor below it. Might be able so see in my Avatar. There is a posting at top of this PK forum about fixing the shifter end, look at that. It is a Sticky posting at top. Biggest issue about clutches is they are kind of an ON/OFF type clutch not much play in them and no adjustment can be made other than replace it or other parts. Shifting should also be done stopped or low throttle, or  you will get lots of grinding. NEVER shift while throttled up and moving. It is not like a car trans. Pick a gear at stop and THEN go.

#7 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 05:08 AM

glgrumpy - Thank you for the info.  As always the info on the forum is the best!

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 07:07 AM

As stated, the fix is not a big deal, especially if you are handy with a welder.  It requires a little patience and grind and fit are the order of the day.  Grind until it fits in the slots between the rails.  I am one of the purists who hates to see the tin cut up.  This isn't a job that you do all the time.  A Power King is the kind of tractor where you check over and repair or replace anything that needs it while you have it apart.  You do that and it's 20 years or more before you have to do it again.  Why cut up a perfectly good tunnel for that?  I have, however, see this done is a way that looks really good.  The sections are actually hinged so when everything is back together, you can't hardly tell unless you look closely.  I've also seen real hack jobs done with torches or a sawzall.  THAT'S what I hate to see.  GL has a good idea with what he did.  At least the tunnel is put away and preserved in the event he ever wants to put it back on to sell (after all, he is getting out of the hobby this year).