Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

could a worn belt cause the transaxle to stay engaged even if the clutch is depressed

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dennis55 OFFLINE  

dennis55
  • Member No: 10456
  • 7 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted June 18, 2015 - 09:16 AM

• laurarg3 said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 18, 2015 - 09:31 AM

It could, if it has worn down and some of the rubber core is exposed it may be gripping at the sheaves. More than likely it is a cause of a faulty clutch/spring or the wrong belt or belt routing

• boyscout862 and dennis55 have said thanks

#3 dennis55 OFFLINE  

dennis55
  • 7 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted June 18, 2015 - 09:51 AM

It could, if it has worn down and some of the rubber core is exposed it may be gripping at the sheaves. More than likely it is a cause of a faulty clutch/spring or the wrong belt or belt routing

i never changed the belt in the 12 years ive owned it.. if i get a new belt and it doesnt fix it what would be my next step?

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 18, 2015 - 09:59 AM

I'm not familiar with the model you have but have you checked for any adjustments to the clutch tension?

A broken off belt guide will cause the belt to keep turning as well

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted June 18, 2015 - 11:39 AM

That was my first suggestion in your other post, change the belt. They get worn to the point the sink into pulley and keep grabbing even when clutch is depressed. A new belt at TSC should run less than 20 and probably 30-35 through Sears. 

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted June 18, 2015 - 04:16 PM

Worn or Miss aligned Belt guides on the engine and Tranxaxle pulley will make it darn near impossible to get into gear unless you Jam it into gear.Then you'll find out that the Shifter pin breaks rather easily.So don't do it lol

You can adjust the Idler pulley on the right side of the tractor just behind the Clutch pulley on all older Sears suburban and Custom GTs.Up to loosen Down to Tighten.

Can you Snap a PIC of your Engine pulley and belt guard?

Does your GT use the 1/2" or 5/8" belt?

Edited by EricFromPa, June 18, 2015 - 04:18 PM.

#7 dennis55 OFFLINE  

dennis55
  • 7 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 07:44 AM

Worn or Miss aligned Belt guides on the engine and Tranxaxle pulley will make it darn near impossible to get into gear unless you Jam it into gear.Then you'll find out that the Shifter pin breaks rather easily.So don't do it lol

You can adjust the Idler pulley on the right side of the tractor just behind the Clutch pulley on all older Sears suburban and Custom GTs.Up to loosen Down to Tighten.

Can you Snap a PIC of your Engine pulley and belt guard?

Does your GT use the 1/2" or 5/8" belt?

im not sure what size belt i have  

Attached Thumbnails

• 003.JPG
  • 004.JPG
  • 005.JPG
  • 009.JPG

#8 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 08:23 AM

the v idler looks a little too shiny. I would bet it has bad bearings. Looks like it is time for a new belt

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 08:36 AM

Looks like you need a new belt, its riding way too far down in the V idler sheave by the looks of it.

What model of tractor is this, its likely a OEM special size I may have instock

#10 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 07:00 PM

Belt is riding Super High in the Drive pulley.Did someone replace the Drive pulley? It's riding so high that you can see a Wear ridge on the side of the belt.That would cause the belt to not disengage the Engine pulley.It's pinching the Belt.

New belt won't fix that.

Front drive pulley is either Bent or someone put a 1/2 pulley on a machine with a 5/8 belt.

You could try taking the drive pulley off and spread the lip open 0.125" or 1/8". Belt should be Just below the ridge on the Drive pulley.

Edited by EricFromPa, June 19, 2015 - 07:16 PM.

• dennis55 said thank you

#11 dennis55 OFFLINE  

dennis55
  • 7 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 07:13 PM

Belt is riding Super High in the Drive pulley.Did someone replace the Drive pulley? It's riding so high that you can see a Wear ridge on the side of the belt.That would cause the belt to not disengage the Engine pulley.It's pinching the Belt.

New belt won't fix that.

Front drive pulley is either Bent or someone put a 1/2 pulley on a machine with a 5/8 belt.

You could try taking the drive pulley off and spread the lip open 0.125" or 1/8".

ive owned it since it was new.. the trans was changed early on  but the pullys were never touched..i tried again today with the rear jacked up.. when started in gear(with the clutch down) the wheels dont move, once the clutch is brought up when i press it again the wheels keep spinning 

#12 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 09:29 AM

that belts looks pretty worn. Also, it appears to me in the first pic, the belt keeps maybe bent in to engine pulley a little much. While they are on there to keep belt around pulleys, if it is too close, it will keep friction on belt and not allow it too release. 

After 12 yrs, you need a new belt. 

Get your model # from under the seat, type it in on searspartsdirect.com. They may not tell you exact size, but you can order one from them. You also can remove it, take to tractor supply or rural king and match it. That looks to be a long one though, they may not carry.