• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hydro guy OFFLINE  

Hydro guy
  • Member No: 63243
  • 174 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 09:32 AM

looking to add a 318 to my herd ,  what are some of the points to look at when looking at a 318.  Have not been around 318s for 20 yearsAlso Onan motors good ....bad....   etc...  

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 11:23 AM

I bought my 1983 in 1986 , use it for mowing and pulling a cart around  about 10+ years ( 1,300 +- hours at the time )   ago the main bearing went and took out the stator so I put a new 20hp in it's place , other then a roll pin on the hydro control lever one front PTO clutch , deck bearings , belts that's about it , except for the seat , replaced that too , Al

#3 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 11:43 AM

Could thoughts on the 318 off the top of my head...

- Two different Onan engines used in them... The B and the P series.  Both have their quirks.  If cared for 2,000 hours are possible out of either of them

- Carbs and intake manifolds can be problem areas.  The intake leaks where it joins the block

- Hydros are solid and last 

- Open frame design shared with the 316(onan)/322/330/332

- Like other Deere tractors, there were revisions along the way so serial number is necessary to figure of changes and fixes

I am sure there are others that I am forgetting 

#4 Hydro guy OFFLINE  

Hydro guy
  • Member No: 63243
  • 174 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 02:07 PM

My only concern is this ...when I was in my early 20s my father bought a 318 worked great for a few years then started blowing the oil filter off ,regularly like every 5 minutes or so. That was way before I started tinkering on garden tractors etc...

#5 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,445 Thanks
  • 3,991 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 02:20 PM

I think, it's a good decision to enlarge the herd w/ a 318...

#6 hdg4400 OFFLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 254 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 04:54 PM

Hydro guy:

I bought my 318 in the fall of 2011, and I love it. Only had a couple of problems, wouldn't start which turned out to  be cleaning the battery cables and posts, and having to replace the main spindle on the 50" deck. It had been restored before I bought it, so it was it really good shape.

I would recommend it. Let us know if you buy it. I have some documentation on it that might be of use to you.

I see you are in Iowa. I grew up on a small farm in central Iowa, moving to Minnesota in 1968.

Harlan

Edited by hdg4400, June 17, 2015 - 05:12 PM.

#7 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 06:58 PM

My parents bought a new 318 in 1987 and that tractor is still faithfully mowing their yard every week in the summer along with having plowed their driveway many years through the 90's and into the early 2000's.  Their yard is 95% on a fairly steep hill and the tractor ran it's 50 inch deck and a rear mounted grass collection system that ran off the rear pto of the tractor for many years as well.  About 4 years ago dad decided that the Onan in it was starting to use to much oil and also rattle and he opted to replace it with a new 23hp Briggs Vanguard re-power kit.  Other than this change and having to put in a new ignition control box a couple years after they bought it (due to being washed with a pressure washer and getting water in the box) the tractor has been completely trouble free.  

I know they are not cheap to rebuild but I personally think that he should have rebuilt the Onan and kept running it.  The Onan just had it's own sound and I loved running that thing with it in there, the Vanguard on the other hand has no personality to me and I don't care for the sound.  It works ok but it isn't the same to me.