• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 08:49 PM

I've been having issues with the 3ph on my MF1655. It works strong until she is nice and warm. About a half hour of use,it won't pick up the implement. I've checked the fluid before and it's up. But tonight I thought I'd check it again. Have some work for it tomorrow. When I unscrewed the dipstick,there was a gush of air released. So my question is, is there a vent in the rear-end?

• Bud and laurarg3 have said thanks

#2 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 975 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 09:02 PM

Sounds like a pump getting tired or pressure relief valve problem. I don't know about a vent.
Mike
  • Bud and limebuzz have said thanks

#3 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 10:42 PM

The tranny never goes weak though.

• Bud said thank you

#4 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 04:33 AM

The dipstick cap is supposed to be vented.

Either the seals are worn in the 3PH cylinder, or the valve body is worn. Seals are cheaper than a fresh valve.

• Bud and limebuzz have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 04:44 AM

It only takes a tiny hole to vent the hydro. 1/16" diameter will do it. The vent was plugged on one of my trractors and the previous owner had filled the transmission to the top of the fill tube??. When I opened the cap to check the fluid level it shot out about a foot in the air. If the vent is plugged it can also cause fluid to be forced out the weakest point. In my case it was the axle seals.  If you leave the cap loose or loosen it to relieve pressure then restart and test the 3Pt lift that should tell you if the lack of venting is the problem. Are those hydros belt driven on a 1655. If so, you might want to check to make sure the hydro is being turned at full speed. Could be a loose pulley/key etc.

• Bud, limebuzz and HDWildBill have said thanks

#6 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 05:52 AM

The dipstick cap is supposed to be vented.

Either the seals are worn in the 3PH cylinder, or the valve body is worn. Seals are cheaper than a fresh valve.

I was thinker the valve too,but it workss great when cold

#7 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 06:00 AM

It only takes a tiny hole to vent the hydro. 1/16" diameter will do it. The vent was plugged on one of my trractors and the previous owner had filled the transmission to the top of the fill tube??. When I opened the cap to check the fluid level it shot out about a foot in the air. If the vent is plugged it can also cause fluid to be forced out the weakest point. In my case it was the axle seals.  If you leave the cap loose or loosen it to relieve pressure then restart and test the 3Pt lift that should tell you if the lack of venting is the problem. Are those hydros belt driven on a 1655. If so, you might want to check to make sure the hydro is being turned at full speed. Could be a loose pulley/key etc.

Thanks Brian,i will let it warm up,and loosen cap and see what happens. And yes the hydro is ran off belts on these.

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 06:02 AM

If the 3pt holds implement up after a while without dropping then cylinder piston seals are okay. On one of my sundstrand units, it did just like yours and turned out to be a blown o-ring between pump and motor body. A 5 cent part!  This seal was blown just enough to hold thick cooler oil, but when the oil heated, it would dump the oil right back into the open inside of the unit.  It didn't affect my hydrostatic at all.  Is yours Eaton (round finned unit) or Sundstrand? I know almost nothing about the Eaton units.

• limebuzz, KennyP and pigsitter have said thanks

#9 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,488 Thanks
  • 3,377 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 06:27 AM

This is not a fix, but on worn, older stuff that just has natural wear, Lucas Hydraulic Oil Booster & Stop Leak, works wonders. It's not a mechanical repair, but if slight seal wear is present, it will greatly improve the performance. I usually change the fluid and filter and replace 20%-25% with the Lucas.

• limebuzz said thank you

#10 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 06:28 AM

Daniel, mine is the Eaton. It does not hold the implement up after you shut it off. And it does creep down while running,but not as fast as when it's off. And no there is no difference in my hydrostatic either. Do you have a diagram of this seal that you mentioned ? 

#11 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 06:33 AM

This is not a fix, but on worn, older stuff that just has natural wear, Lucas Hydraulic Oil Booster & Stop Leak, works wonders. It's not a mechanical repair, but if slight seal wear is present, it will greatly improve the performance. I usually change the fluid and filter and replace 20%-25% with the Lucas.

Thanks, im going to try the cap first.then,if that don't work,maybe change out the oil and filter and add some Lucas. It's been used for about a year and a half now since I changed it last. And this tractor gets a lot of use. 

#12 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 06:33 AM

Daniel, mine is the Eaton. It does not hold the implement up after you shut it off. And it does creep down while running,but not as fast as when it's off. And no there is no difference in my hydrostatic either. Do you have a diagram of this seal that you mentioned ? 

Then it does sound like your cylinder piston seal is worn, and/or a worn valve body letting fluid leak back into the return line port.  Likely it's just the cylinder needing rebuilt, which is simple and easy to do yourself.

#13 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 06:40 AM

Thanks Daniel is there a kit avalible still? Or is it cheaper to pull it apart and take the seals to a hydraulic shop and just match up the o-rings?

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 07:16 AM

If you need a breakdown for the valves, the Sears FF's use the same valve. Here's a pic of those.
Hyd. Valves.JPG     Hyd. Valves parts2.JPG

#15 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 07:23 AM

Thanks Daniel is there a kit avalible still? Or is it cheaper to pull it apart and take the seals to a hydraulic shop and just match up the o-rings?

I would just go match them up at a hydraulic shop.  Usually MUCH cheaper & same stuff.