• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 joey7478 OFFLINE  

joey7478
  • Member No: 71012
  • 1 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 03:11 PM

I have the mower deck on and not sure how to turn it on.  Its a 67 with 16 inch wheels and it has a rod on left side that rotate the mule up and down. Don,t know if this right and don,t know what holds it in place between up and down. Dose anyone have a picture or can tell me how it works? Thanks Joey!

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 04:32 PM

Am I missing something or are you being very vague?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 05:15 PM

We need a lot more information and pictures to know what you're talking about.  There might be a service or owner's manual on here that would be of help if we knew what model tractor and year.

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 06:02 PM

You have real early pto drive, not the electric then I'm presuming?  I've never had one, but know there is a lever that you use your foot on to push down and power deck.  Seems there is a place you have to swing it over and hook under to keep there. Seems there is a little hook bolted to side of frame maybe or just push the whole pedal under frame?? I'm not real sure. You should explore more of the manuals downloaded here and look for earlier info, I'm thinking from 72 down in years is what you need. Most 73 up have the diff hangers for mule drive and electric PTO and long hoods to cover that pto.  There are a few diff mower mountings too, might wanna study the mower deck manuals for that info and see if you have the right hardware for that.  There are leveling adjustments and such to maybe tweak with.  The height of cut is all on back of the deck, maybe a handle on side of it on right?  It moves the back rollers up/down in diff positions to get cut you wish to have. Just one chain going up to the lift arm in center of tractor then to pull it up. It won't lift real even and be low in front, just the way they are. Make sure your idler arm on the deck belts is free and has good spring to keep belts tight.

#5 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 06:46 PM

Here is a picture:

Attached Thumbnails

• Mower deck.JPG

#6 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • Member No: 65363
  • 35 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 03:43 AM

The chain & spring need adjusted to pull the 2 pulleys DOWN  to tension/engage the drive belt.   There's a long bolt sticking out of the side of the mule drive to hook the long lever under to disengage the mower.  Push lever down with your foot & swing it out to the left to clear the long bolt & let it rise up to tension the belt for mowing. While mowing .. the lever just rides up in the air & can swing out if you're not careful.   To dis-engage mower .. push the lever down (under spring pressure) with your foot & slip it under the long bolt.  The square solid steel bar that the twin pulleys mount to should stick straight forward / level when the mower is engaged ... if it doesn't .. then most of these decks have several holes along the deck that the mule mounts to.  You move the deck forward or backward on these different bolt holes to adjust the belt .   This changes the front mule drive pulleys position when engaged.

• Alc and David Brown have said thanks

#7 joey7478 OFFLINE  

joey7478
  • 1 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 10:19 AM

Thanks everyone this is very helpful!

#8 joey7478 OFFLINE  

joey7478
  • 1 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 02:39 PM

OK you guys are great but another question. Dose the belt that run from the mule drive to deck go on bottom grove of deck pulley ? The picture Iv/e seen look like it dose. Thanks Joey!

#9 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • 35 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 03:29 PM

The main belt (from the mule drive) goes on the top pulley on all of mine.  the next two pulleys down go to the outboard pulleys that they line up with.  Not rocket science here. 

#10 joey7478 OFFLINE  

joey7478
  • 1 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 03:54 PM

The main belt (from the mule drive) goes on the top pulley on all of mine.  the next two pulleys down go to the outboard pulleys that they line up with.  Not rocket science here. 

It might not be rocket science but  look at the pictures username posted on this topic.

Edited by joey7478, June 20, 2015 - 03:56 PM.

#11 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • 35 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 04:52 PM

OK ... let's try this ..... put your cross-deck belts on the pulleys that they line up with ..... then the center pulley that doesn't have a belt on it ... THAT'S where your main drive belt goes.

#12 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,010 Thanks
  • 836 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 05:53 PM

Hi Joey, per the instruction for installing a 48" deck with a parallel hitch the mule drive belt goes on the top pulley groove. I attached a manual see page 4

Glenn some deck have a 3 groove center pulley.

Attached File  Parallel hitch.pdf   2.67MB   57 downloads

#13 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • 35 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 07:55 PM

Hi Joey, per the instruction for installing a 48" deck with a parallel hitch the mule drive belt goes on the top pulley groove. I attached a manual see page 4

Glenn some deck have a 3 groove center pulley.

attachicon.gifParallel hitch.pdf

Yeh .. I hope a 3 belt mower deck has a 3 groove center pulley. ... mine does.    Bottom pulley goes to one outboard pulley .... second one up goes to the other outboard pulley ... top goes to mule drive/engine.    The only thing that matters is ..... one side outboard pulley HAS TO line up with one of the center pulleys .... the OTHER outboard pulley HAS TO line up with another center pulley .... the center pulley that remains unbelted HAS TO BE the one that the main drive belt goes on.

Maybe this IS rocket science ..... I'm done.

#14 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,010 Thanks
  • 836 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 07:58 PM

Hi Glenn well I just learned a thing did not know that some decks have 3 belts mine only has 2 belts a single deck belt and a mule drive belt.

#15 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • 35 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 08:04 PM

Hi Glenn well I just learned a thing did not know that some decks have 3 belts mine only has 2 belts a single deck belt and a mule drive belt.

Then your deck ISN'T one pictured above.   I'm guessing that yours is the newer style "Stamped Deck" .. with nice rounded corners & the frame "Hook Mounting" system.

• MNGB said thank you