• Member No: 51434
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 02:14 PM

Ooops, wrong post. sorry.

• KennyP and CharlesDes have said thanks

#47 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 05:18 PM

Does your wife know you stole her slipper rack to hold your rattle cans?

If you are referring to the shoe rack in my photo it was my wife's idea. She is alway coming up asking if I could use this or that.  Plus if she sees something in a mag or on line she will show me.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#48 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • Member No: 51434
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted June 21, 2015 - 10:42 AM

If you are referring to the shoe rack in my photo it was my wife's idea. She is alway coming up asking if I could use this or that.  Plus if she sees something in a mag or on line she will show me.

Yup, that was it, good idea. Mine are all on shelves and hard to get to at times. Just making sure.

• HDWildBill and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#49 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,201 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 04:34 PM

Kenny, here's a pic of my garage, and this is pretty clean.

image.jpg

• olcowhand and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#50 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 05:26 PM

Kenny, here's a pic of my garage, and this is pretty clean.

What garage? Looks like a storage unit to me!

• Alc, WNYTractorTinkerer, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#51 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,201 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 07:02 AM

The saw horses and things by the front are from working on the trailer. The back area is where the work gets done, that's an 8'x8' area that stays somewhat  organized. The real problem is I haven't built a shed on my property yet , so anything that needs to be kept safe from elements or thieves has to stay in here. 

• KennyP, boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#52 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted July 28, 2015 - 09:49 PM

I will try to get some pics of my shop soon but when I saw this thread, I had to chime in. I was the king of disorganization and cludder forever! not something I'm proud of but a fact I could never deny. My shop used to be dangerous and incredibly frustrating just to manuever your way through from one side to the other and it's only 10'x12'!. I wasted  a lot of money buyng stuff I already had because I couldn't find anything. Well about May of 2014, I had had enough. I spent the whole month, every spare minute I had cleaning out, sorting ,throwing away(a big help!)and re-organizing. spent several hours I bet just standing there and trying to visualize new order and the most efficient uses of my tiny shop. Long story short, I had great sucess with reorganization attempt version 1.0. I am now on version 3.0 and it is better then ever! I can't believe what a joy it is to be able to go in and locate nearly anything I need or have in seconds! No swearing, no angina, no stress!. The only thing that slows me down in there now is my memory trying to keep up with the re-re-re organization and remembering the "new home" of x,y,z. Guys, (and Gals if there are any here), Let me tell you from my experience, IT IS SOOOOOO worth whatever you have to do to get-r-dun! After a while it even becomes fun! what ever space you currently occupy, I promise you, you can effectively double it with the right plan.

Edited by backyardtinker, July 28, 2015 - 09:52 PM.

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#53 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 10:03 PM

trying to figure out how to upload pics. My laptop has linux and it apparently won't let me see any actual images I try to attach. Tried several times and I can attach all kinds of files but have no idea what images they are. Will have my son try to figure it out  with me tomorrow.

#54 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 09:03 AM

Having worked in a shop many years ago all tools were put away at the end of  the day and floor swept. Thats how I keep my garage. I have helped guys working in shops that are cluttered,,,it slows down process looking for tools and dangerous stepping over crap! 

I made my opinion clear to a fellow who wanted me to paint his truck in his garage. The shop was cluttered with mostly stuff belonging to his kids (cars, engines, sleds)who both have their own homes.. There was bucket for sockets, another for wrenches and a huge tool chest full of auto parts???   2 weeks later his shop was clean and organize and he is keeping it that way 6 months now.

• HDWildBill and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#55 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 09:23 AM

trying to figure out how to upload pics. My laptop has linux and it apparently won't let me see any actual images I try to attach. Tried several times and I can attach all kinds of files but have no idea what images they are. Will have my son try to figure it out  with me tomorrow.

What distro are you using?  I'm using PCLOS, and I just upload them just like I would in windows.  You may need to reset your viewing mode for the file manager from detail to thumbnail.  Here is some How to videos for doing things on the site.

• backyardtinker said thank you

#56 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 09:29 AM

Having worked in a shop many years ago all tools were put away at the end of  the day and floor swept. Thats how I keep my garage. I have helped guys working in shops that are cluttered,,,it slows down process looking for tools and dangerous stepping over crap! 

I made my opinion clear to a fellow who wanted me to paint his truck in his garage. The shop was cluttered with mostly stuff belonging to his kids (cars, engines, sleds)who both have their own homes.. There was bucket for sockets, another for wrenches and a huge tool chest full of auto parts???   2 weeks later his shop was clean and organize and he is keeping it that way 6 months now.

I'm the same way.  In the Navy you picked up all your tools, inventoried, cleaned them and put them away where they belonged.  Then you swept the floor and cleaned up your work area.  Then you could go home.

I'm also pretty much the same way today.  Everything gets picked up and put away and I can readily see if something is missing.  Spills get cleaned up immediately but I do get lax and only sweep about twice a week unless I have made a big mess cleaning a piece of equipment. 

• Alc, oldedeeres, Jazz and 1 other said thanks

#57 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 07:46 PM

Finally! I was able to figure out how to upload pics! :dancingbanana: This is my humble little shop. Out of which lots of work is done! Part mechanical shop, part body shop, part welding shop, part engineering dept.....you get it. Yours is probly just like it ;)

I haven't gotten to finish  the upstairs yet. Cleared out much of what was up there and moved my shop press to the upstairs and put up a couple fluorescent lights but so far that is it. Will  hopefully finish that part over the next year.

20150812_190050.jpg 20150812_190439.jpg 20150812_190449.jpg 20150812_190508.jpg 20150812_190535.jpg

Edited by backyardtinker, August 18, 2015 - 05:04 AM.

• KennyP, HDWildBill, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#58 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted August 18, 2015 - 04:50 AM

Looks too neat to me!

• holdenboy1960 and backyardtinker have said thanks

#59 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted August 18, 2015 - 04:58 AM

It still gets messy all the time, I just stay on top of it now and am constantly putting things away and tidying up as I go along or at the end of the day. I actually tidied up just before taking these shots but it only took about ten min. 

• KennyP, HDWildBill and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#60 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 12:45 AM

Thought I would give you all a glimpse of what I walk into each morning. This is where I do all fabrication and repairs to the tractors. It's quite a mess, but it's a work-in-progress situation. Since I got the 'new-to-me' band saw I needed space for it. That's when the fun began. I have been here 2 years now and it was time to 'organize' some things. I had a good start putting up the cabinets but got overwhelmed with a lot of other things I packed in there. I am now going through and finding homes for some things that get used often instead of sitting around taking up floor space. Can be a trip hazard! Here's a shot from the tractor port door into the garage behind it.

attachicon.gif2015-06-16 14.05.13.jpg

Yes, it's cluttered! I have not found the method to my madness as yet! But I have been finding wall space that I can get some things organized into. First up was moving 4 cabinets into a better location. These house my collection of spray paint, lacquer thinner, paint thinner, ETC. and various other goodies too numerous to mention.

attachicon.gif2015-06-16 13.33.11.jpg

Then came finding a home for the weedeaters! Also turned into a spot for the chain saw and all the trimmer line, gas mix & etc. to go with that.

attachicon.gif2015-06-16 13.27.50.jpg

Then I needed a place for my skill saw, sawzall, jig saw and such. Made this shelf for those items.

attachicon.gif2015-06-16 13.28.09.jpg

Then the shop vac, pancake compressor and battery drills need a spot.

attachicon.gif2015-06-16 13.28.26.jpg

I will continue to sort and move things around. I have lots of things from our remodel ventures that will go bye-bye and that will create more space. I may even be able to get a tractor in there before long!

Thought I would give you all a glimpse of what I walk into each morning. This is where I do all fabrication and repairs to the tractors. It's quite a mess, but it's a work-in-progress situation. Since I got the 'new-to-me' band saw I needed space for it. That's when the fun began. I have been here 2 years now and it was time to 'organize' some things. I had a good start putting up the cabinets but got overwhelmed with a lot of other things I packed in there. I am now going through and finding homes for some things that get used often instead of sitting around taking up floor space. Can be a trip hazard! Here's a shot from the tractor port door into the garage behind it.

attachicon.gif2015-06-16 14.05.13.jpg

Yes, it's cluttered! I have not found the method to my madness as yet! But I have been finding wall space that I can get some things organized into. First up was moving 4 cabinets into a better location. These house my collection of spray paint, lacquer thinner, paint thinner, ETC. and various other goodies too numerous to mention.

attachicon.gif2015-06-16 13.33.11.jpg

Then came finding a home for the weedeaters! Also turned into a spot for the chain saw and all the trimmer line, gas mix & etc. to go with that.

attachicon.gif2015-06-16 13.27.50.jpg

Then I needed a place for my skill saw, sawzall, jig saw and such. Made this shelf for those items.

attachicon.gif2015-06-16 13.28.09.jpg

Then the shop vac, pancake compressor and battery drills need a spot.

attachicon.gif2015-06-16 13.28.26.jpg

I will continue to sort and move things around. I have lots of things from our remodel ventures that will go bye-bye and that will create more space. I may even be able to get a tractor in there before long!

i reckon it is pretty organised already

• backyardtinker said thank you