• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dennis55 OFFLINE  

dennis55
  • Member No: 10456
  • 7 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 01:42 PM

hello.. i own a sears tractor lt2000 model # 917.273.130 with a kohler 17hp motor.. it runs fine but the other day it had an issue getting into gear.. i looked underneath thinking the clutch/brake might have been the issue. when i checked the pads were worn ..i got new ones and installed them but if i press the brake the flywheel continues to turn and when i tested it out it grabbed then releasedalong with for some odd reason the trannie stays in that gear unless i shut it off(wont shift up or down) thanks in advance for any help

Attached Thumbnails

• 007.JPG
  • 009.JPG
  • 010.JPG

• larisaPn said thank you

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 02:13 PM

The brake does nothing to do with stopping the drive pulley like the older ones. It only brakes the axle to stop the tractor

I am betting you need a new belt, they get worn and will not disengage the pulleys when you push the clutch in. 

I had an issue I had moisture inside the rear of my Craftsman LT, it had rusted up the shifter fingers and locked it in gear, but I'm thinking yours is a belt issue, been there and read a lot of that exact problem and belt fixed it. 

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,319 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 02:19 PM

Locked (rusted) dowels on the brake can have an affect on how far the clutch pedal will travel causing the belt to not slip on the drive pulley. A bent linkage will do the same thing

#4 dennis55 OFFLINE  

dennis55
  • 7 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 02:29 PM

The brake does nothing to do with stopping the drive pulley like the older ones. It only brakes the axle to stop the tractor

I am betting you need a new belt, they get worn and will not disengage the pulleys when you push the clutch in. 

I had an issue I had moisture inside the rear of my Craftsman LT, it had rusted up the shifter fingers and locked it in gear, but I'm thinking yours is a belt issue, been there and read a lot of that exact problem and belt fixed it. 

it seems to be two issues at the same time.. i cant get the brakes to stop the tractor and hold it and when that happens i cant change gears until i shut it off

#5 dennis55 OFFLINE  

dennis55
  • 7 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 02:31 PM

Locked (rusted) dowels on the brake can have an affect on how far the clutch pedal will travel causing the belt to not slip on the drive pulley. A bent linkage will do the same thing

the dowels are loose.. i cant tell if the linkage is bent

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,121 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 02:38 PM

Make sure all belt guides are in place and the belt is in its place within the guides. It will be hard to shift if the guides are not doing there job, next would be the belt and have seen pulleys worn out that my cause hard shifting. Just some ideas, Noel.

#7 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,319 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 02:42 PM

the busted bolt on the front of the caliper could have something to do with the brakes not working, the adjustment may have something to do with the clutch not working

• MH81 said thank you

#8 dennis55 OFFLINE  

dennis55
  • 7 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 02:45 PM

the busted bolt on the front of the caliper could have something to do with the brakes not working, the adjustment may have something to do with the clutch not working

i saw that when i took it apart and replaced it ( i hoped that would fix it but no :( )

#9 dennis55 OFFLINE  

dennis55
  • 7 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 02:57 PM

Make sure all belt guides are in place and the belt is in its place within the guides. It will be hard to shift if the guides are not doing there job, next would be the belt and have seen pulleys worn out that my cause hard shifting. Just some ideas, Noel.

i checked the linkage and it shifts fine when off (most times) sometimes it sticks in gear when i start it( along with the brakes not holding it) but when running it locks in gear until shut off

• propane1 said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 03:19 PM

It may be low on oil inside. Not sure how to check it on those models!

#11 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,891 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 03:39 PM

It may be low on oil inside. Not sure how to check it on those models!

Unless it a hydro it would be gease

#12 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 04:25 PM

Bentonite grease, to be specific.

#13 dennis55 OFFLINE  

dennis55
  • 7 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 06:37 PM

does the clutch work the brakes and the pully?

#14 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,891 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 07:53 PM

does the clutch work the brakes and the pully?

Yes 

#15 grattone ONLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 222 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 08:22 PM

Have you looked at the manual for the unit, Brake adjustment, and checked the way it is put together. To me the angle of the arm and where the spring meet is odd looking. 

Gratton