120 replies to this topic

#106 nmlange OFFLINE  

nmlange

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3096
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 11:28 PM

If you do decide to get the diesel let us know, I think I saw the diesel your talking about the last time I was in the store, I haven't heard anything about them, but I know most of the engines they sell are pretty decent.

#107 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,509 Thanks
  • 5,028 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 09:45 AM

It's great power, noise, stinks like diesel, rattles, vibrates, allmost perfect.

Now here is a guy that really knows where it is at.:yelclap:

I was able to get the alternator and lights installed on the Ka-Bolens this week. Now the electric fan and lights won't run the battery dead. :dancingbanana: I think this two year part time project is finally coming to an end. I'd do it again in a minute.

Jimmy if you don't mind me asking, were did you pick up the 2 wheeled tractor from?

#108 jimmymc2286 OFFLINE  

jimmymc2286

• Member No: 2540
  • 15 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 12:32 PM

Jimmy if you don't mind me asking, were did you pick up the 2 wheeled tractor from?[/QUOTE]

Chris, I don't mind at all. I got the Chinese tractor from China. I found a dealer on the net in China and emailed him and had it shipped over here. It is hard to believe you can buy things in other countries and just ship them home. It takes a long time but if in no hurry it is worth it.

Jimmy

#109 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,509 Thanks
  • 5,028 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 04:25 PM

I don't now if I have mentioned this here or not but in Asia it is not uncommon to see these things pulling large loads or a family to town on a wagon. I'm willing to bet that your high gear is pretty fast.
Thanks for the information. I'm really happy that the transaction went well for you.

#110 jimmymc2286 OFFLINE  

jimmymc2286

• Member No: 2540
  • 15 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 03:10 PM

Chris, high gear is quite fast. I can see how they would take it to town. The manual says 18 KPH. I don't know what that is in MPH but I wouldn't want to run and try to keep up with it.

Jimmy

#111 big red dog OFFLINE  

big red dog

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6580
  • 22 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 03:22 PM

I've seen those too... China=Unemployment. I know its hard to find American, but isn't that why we're all here? Old steel = American (Usually)

#112 big red dog OFFLINE  

big red dog

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 22 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 03:23 PM

I've seen those too... China=Unemployment. I know its hard to find American, but isn't that why we're all here? Old steel = American (Usually)

#113 big red dog OFFLINE  

big red dog

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 22 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 03:24 PM

Lets here it for the Fox!!!

#114 big red dog OFFLINE  

big red dog

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 22 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 03:26 PM

Divide by 5 multiply by 8. 55mph=88kph

#115 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 03:50 PM

Chris, high gear is quite fast. I can see how they would take it to town. The manual says 18 KPH. I don't know what that is in MPH but I wouldn't want to run and try to keep up with it.

Jimmy

Roughly 11MPH. We have been using metric up here for a long time. It's still hard to forget the old system though. I still convert some things.

#116 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 08:57 AM

the Chinese tractor has a single cyl. diesel on it, the type that looks like a hit and miss

Is that engine air-cooled or is it the 'hopper' non-pressurized water cooled variety? If it is the non-pressurized water cooled variety what does the manual tell you to do for winter weather - just empty the water and fill with anti-freeze?

I agree with Big Red Dog about buying American - when and where comparable equipment is available. The reality is that I am not aware of any American manufactured small diesel engines that will fill the bill for these types of conversions.

I think that re-powering old American iron with engines that will increase fuel economy while extending (and even expanding) their usefulness is as American as it gets. The projects that have been shown on this forum exemplify good old American ingenuity. The fact that we must select from foreign made engines illustrates the fact that we live in a world-wide economy. I doubt that an American manufacturer would start building small diesel engines just because a handful of us decided to hold off on projects until American engines were available.

I think a more practical scenario would be for an American manufacturer (Ingersoll and John Deere come to mind) to start building their high quality, mid to high-end garden tractors with the diesel power plants.

JN

#117 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,509 Thanks
  • 5,028 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 10:37 AM

One thing we need to remember is that there are a lot of countries buying our products. Shutting off our purchases of their products could easily hurt our own manufacturers and the 10's of thousands of employees of this country who support imported products. Like Boss said, if it is not available from this country we need to get it from where it is.

#118 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 05:48 PM

JD used to put diesels in the smaller GTs but now you can only get one in the 700 series. I think the GX355 was the last mid sized GT they put a diesel in. The 700's are nice tractors but they are very pricey. I think one with a diesel in it would be more expensive than the 2305 (or its replacement- 1026?) when you add on a 3pt hitch and a rear PTO. There probably just isn't enough of a market to bring back a mid sized tractor with a diesel. The larger 700's are popular with commercial and institutional groundskeeping customers who are willing to pay for a diesel.

#119 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted October 05, 2011 - 09:07 AM

There probably just isn't enough of a market to bring back a mid sized tractor with a diesel.

You're probably right. Everything is driven by demand and I don't think enough people recognize the potential advantages of a small diesel engine to create a market. The average home-owner probably views a diesel engine as something very mysterious and it could take a very aggressive marketing campaign to create demand and acceptance.

Those of us that choose to build and knock around (literally) on diesel powered GT's are probably viewed by friends, family and neighbors as a bit strange. That's OK though, I think normal people are very strange. :confuse:

JN

#120 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,509 Thanks
  • 5,028 posts

Posted October 05, 2011 - 09:55 AM

We are located in one of the few countries were the populace as a whole looks at small diesels with disdain. At first glance this seems very strange but when you consider some of the people we elect to political office it may not seem strange at all. We are not nearly as smart as we think we are.:bs: