skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 06:05 AM

My rig is shaft driven directly off the crank pulley via driveshaft straight to the hydro trans. All accessories ate driven off the flywheel via belt and pto clutch . It is not complicated, but attention must be paid to drive line alignment. And you will need access to a machine shop for a pto adapter shaft and drive shaft adapter. The rest van be done with a drill press and hand drills.

#77 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 07:12 AM

The photo's above are of the Bolens in my avatar. A GT2000 that originally had a Kohler Magnum 20hp installed. The layout is as skyrydr2 has described. All the machine work was done on a Chinese 7 x 12 lathe and a drill press. The engine is mounted on rubber just like it is in my Kubota G4200. I did purchase a splined adapter to fit the front slines on the crankshaft. This in turn was pressed into and welded to the adapter you see bolted to the drive shaft. The adapter floats on the splines. The original flywheel pulley was removed from the flange and bored out so the shaft seen in the 4th photo could be pressed and welded into it. This allows the pulley to be slid back and forth so proper alignment can be achieved with the PTO pulley.
You might want to keep your eyes open for a garden tractor with power steering if you are considering a loader install as I did. I makes a world of difference when you are moving about with a full loader. This tractor was purchased for $250.00 and 400 hrs. on it. Rodents had chewed the wiring up and the gentleman didn't want to deal with it. The Kohler engine was sold for $550.00 and the diesel purchased for $450.00. If you are not in a rush these projects can be completed for a reasonable cost.:thumbs:

Let us know how your project goes.

#78 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 07:57 AM

Rodents had chewed the wiring up and the gentleman didn't want to deal with it.

Gotta love those Mickey Mouse discounts, eh? :bigrofl:

JN

BTW - nice conversion Chris!

#79 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 281 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 08:45 AM

Skyrydr, Thats a super job on the engine conversion, looks like it was made that way. Thanks for all the posts.
I gotta ask, why is the steering wheel installed 1/4 turn off center?

Larry

#80 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 08:59 AM

LOL ,powersteering my friend , it has true powersteering, meaning it has an orbital steering valve to a cylinder .
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
A few shots of the install ,the last few are of the deck lift valve relocation and the powersteering/aux. Hydraulic pump.

Edited by skyrydr2, August 18, 2011 - 09:13 AM.

#81 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 11:44 AM

Gotta love those Mickey Mouse discounts, eh?

And I have to love that parody :yelclap: I'll have to remember that in the future :smile1:

There is something that I would do different if I do it again. Try and find an engine that uses a water pump to circulate the coolant. Mine uses thermal siphon to circulate the coolant which requires a larger radiator. Getting the cooling system to work properly was my biggest challenge. Works fine now but I have to admit I was starting to wonder if I was going to find the right combination.:wallbanging:

#82 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 02:35 PM

Chris,

Wow, I never realized there was a difference in the cooling systems on these little water cooled engines. I have always just assumed they were all circulated by a pump. That's another little golden nugget of information to remember if one goes the water cooled engine route.

Would the reduction in radiator size be enough to perhaps justify installing a cooling water pump? Does the thermal siphon approach reduce your margin of cooling range between operational and overheating conditions? Does the cooling system on your engine incorporate a thermostat to prevent over-cooling in winter conditions?

JN

#83 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 03:21 PM

Great points ! My rig is a pumped system, one my Yanmar tractors was a thermal siphon and it had a thermostat , you had to really work it hard to get it hot, and I had the temp light on many times, and it kept right on working, but I would lighten up on the load and it would settle right down.

#84 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 04:21 PM

I'm am so dumb!:brain_fart:
I just deleted a long winded reply:wallbanging:

Anyway, Kubota did make some tractors for U.S. import that did not use a water pump. The B7100 comes to mind because that is the radiator that I ended up using. The electric water pump did cross my mind but I knew from past experience that the thermal siphon works just fine if set up properly. Currently running an electric fan that came out of a Nissan Sentra. It moves a lot of air but draws quite a bit of current and the little dynamo is struggling. Next is to install a minature 40 amp altermator which should be good for anything.
Skyrydr your steering is the same as mine. No mechanical link between the steering wheel and the front tires. Feels different but I"m not complaining:smile1:

Edited by Cvans, August 18, 2011 - 04:32 PM.

#85 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 04:23 PM

I'm am so dumb!:brain_fart:

?????? Why?

#86 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 04:33 PM

:mecry:I was Crying when you inquired.:mecry: See above

#87 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 04:45 PM

I'm crying from laughing LOL, yeah there was a bunch of rigs that used that method, that's why they all have pumps now LOL., Chris, I really like my steering it works awesome, all kinds of power too .

#88 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 05:33 PM

My rig is shaft driven directly off the crank pulley via driveshaft straight to the hydro trans. All accessories ate driven off the flywheel via belt and pto clutch . It is not complicated, but attention must be paid to drive line alignment. And you will need access to a machine shop for a pto adapter shaft and drive shaft adapter. The rest van be done with a drill press and hand drills.

I have one of the Small 7" x 10" lathes, so I can do some work on that. Also have a Mig welder, etc. The big thing for me is to find the time... I keep saying in the winter when it's dark when I get home and I can't do much outside... I need to do something though 'cause I want a rig to run a snowblower so I don't have to keep using my Armstrong snow plow...

U S

#89 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 05:35 PM

I don't see any photos with your post... I'm new, so maybe I'm not doing something right.

Utah Smitty

#90 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 07:49 PM

I don't see any photos with your post... I'm new, so maybe I'm not doing something right.

Utah Smitty

You don't see any pics in post #79? You may need to join Photobucket.com ? I think everyone else can see them correct?