• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,627 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 01, 2011 - 07:27 PM

I have followed this for some time and all I can say is 'Paint those front rims'. Thanks for sharing.

See it's not just me! :bigrofl:

#62 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted August 07, 2011 - 09:07 AM

Ok you wide guys, here are a few shots of yesterdays progress :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
The last pic is of my "Adapta-frame" this A frame has many purposes, it attaches my bottom plow
, my grader blade, used for towing, and best of all logging , I even use it to pull out shrubs and small trees. It plucks um like weeds.
Lastly, if it works, a video
http://static.photob...2/VIDEO0021.mp4

#63 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,627 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 07, 2011 - 11:03 AM

Beautiful tractor/beautiful work!

#64 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,482 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted August 07, 2011 - 07:54 PM

This is my first post here and I would like to congratulate skyrydr2 on a beautiful conversion. Very nice looking tractor.

Second, Poor Daniel is going to have to put up with me again :mecry:

I'm also a firm believer of diesels in these garden tractors. I've been doing conversions for several years. The Bolens in my avatar is now running a Kubota diesel which replaced a the Kohler Magnum. It was a lot of work but the results made it all worth while.
I'm really looking forward to the Chinese V-twin conversion. Sounds like an excellent combination.

#65 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,627 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 07, 2011 - 07:58 PM

This is my first post here and I would like to congratulate skyrydr2 on a beautiful conversion. Very nice looking tractor.

Second, Poor Daniel is going to have to put up with me again :mecry:

I'm also a firm believer of diesels in these garden tractors. I've been doing conversions for several years. The Bolens in my avatar is now running a Kubota diesel which replaced a the Kohler Magnum. It was a lot of work but the results made it all worth while.
I'm really looking forward to the Chinese V-twin conversion. Sounds like an excellent combination.

SO HAPPY you've joined us at GTT Chris! Put up with you? Hardly a chore!

#66 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,482 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted August 07, 2011 - 08:23 PM

Thanks for the welcome. When I saw "olcowhand" was here I knew I was going to be in good company.

I really enjoy these conversions and hope more will post about their experiences.

#67 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 03:50 PM

I believe I have most of the parts copied to make a kit so someone else could basically do the same thing. I need to sit down and do a write up of the installation ,it really wasn't that bad. Hardest part I think was the front pto and the mule drive. It needs to be moved forward about an inch or so to align properly.
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#68 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 11:08 PM

Somehow, pull start and Diesel do not compute in my book. LOL

Thanks for the link.

I bought a Chinese Diesel Used, and tried the pull start... didn't know about the compression release. I got it started a couple times, but the darn thing kicked back on me once and strained the tendons in my hand and broke part of the recoil mechanism. They start easy enough with the electric starter so I'll stick to it.

Utah Smitty

#69 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 11:13 PM

I picked up a Kubota 2 cyl water-cooled diesel last fall. It started right up when I got fuel to the injection pump... doesn't have muffler, though I did put a straight pipe on it. I plan to put it into a Power King 2414 I have. I'd be interested how you made everything fit in your Ford.

Utah Smitty

#70 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 11:28 PM

I believe I have most of the parts copied to make a kit so someone else could basically do the same thing. I need to sit down and do a write up of the installation ,it really wasn't that bad. Hardest part I think was the front pto and the mule drive. It needs to be moved forward about an inch or so to align properly.

I have a chance to get a Ford LGT12 that's been sitting for years in a guy's shed. I'd be tempted to put my Kubota 2 cylinder in it... I'm intrigued how you put yours in... did you run off the front of the engine and use a pulley to the drive shafts???

Thanks,

Utah Smitty

#71 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 04:22 AM

Hi Utah , the engine is in the tractor backwards per say, so the driveshaft to the transmission runs off the crank pulley. Everything lines up very nicely. and I was able to use the factory shaft too. With the 2cylinder you may not need to move the mule drive forward as I had to. Everything fits but it will be tight .Mine has aux.Hydraulics and powersteering so this takes up even more space,but it is still entirely serviceable. One huge issue I encountered was a place to put the fuel tank, I had a small one under the hood but got rid of it for a customer built one made into the left fender.
Any questions feel free to ask away ok.

#72 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,482 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 10:56 AM

These photos might give you and idea what's involved.
Just make up your mind to tackle one problem at a time and it goes pretty smooth.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#73 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 11:15 AM

Keith,you sure do have that Ford looking good now.You have done a great job putting that Kubota in there.Thanks for sharing all those pics.

#74 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 04:10 PM

Thanks Maynard, I really like how it works and looks . It has been a great asset too. I work it hard when I need to and it doesn't complain one bit .
chris that looks like it fit pretty well except for the radiator, I was a bit nervous when I picked up the diesel and radiator but had no problems when I got home and sized it up. I actually had mine up and running in about a weeks' time if it had been un interupted....
It took about 3 weeks of picking at it to have it operational so I could mow my lawn! LOL then it was tinker time to fine tune everything and get it ready to paint, I ran it all last fall and broke virgin ground this spring with it at my new home in the garden.
I have some pictures of the install ,but not enough as I was pressed for time ( 6 month old, first child and new mom murdered time Lol)

Edited by skyrydr2, August 16, 2011 - 08:21 PM.
added text

#75 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 11:48 PM

Great pics and great job!! Makes me want to go out and get mine installed and running. I currently have 3 candidates for the 2 cyl Kubota--A Power Kink 2414 with double transmissions; a Case 195 with aux hydraulics, and a Case 442. Each tractor has some issues, but not insurmountable. I also have a line on a Ford LGT 12 with a mower deck. It currently has a Kohler K301, but I don't know the condition of the engine. The tractor has the belt primary drive that drops down and connects to the driveline... I believe it's a hydrostatic drive.

From what it looks like on your machine, you drove the driveline to the tranny off the front of the engine without a drive belt--similar to the Cub Cadets. It looks like your mule drive is driven from the pulleys on the flywheel...is that correct.

What model Ford did you start out with? Did it have the belt primary drive also, or just the driveline connected directly to the engine? I still can't get over how well that 3 cylinder fits in... looks like your tranny is a hydrostatic as well...

Anyway, I'll quit flapping my trap... I'm interested in how you did this, also if you have any drawings, etc...

Regards,

Utah Smitty