• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 VillageGreenDeere OFFLINE  

VillageGreenDeere
  • Member No: 62247
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 07:45 AM

My 1983 317 is shutting down with the PTO engaged.  Pretty quickly, I'll engage it, mow for a minute or two and then it will shut down.  A couple times I engaged the Pto at a stand still and when I went to drive forward it stalled.  I'm pretty sure the seat safety switch was completely removed or bypassed by the previous owner who did a full strip down and restoration on it.  I've had no issue jumping off the tractor to pick up a stray dog toy in the lawn while mowing in the past.

Here are the tests I have done to trouble shoot.  In the garage I removed the deck belt and engaged the pto.  I throttled up and down and hoped off the tractor.  It ran fine.  I checked all the pulleys and everything felt free and smooth enough.  I checked all the wire connections behind the dash as best I could and couldn't find anything obvious.

I also drove the tractor around with the PTO off, throttling up and down on hills in attempt to add load the way the PTO would when engaged.  It felt fine.

I have owned the tractor for a month and it's been pretty flawless until now.  I've been mowing, towing and driving around without any issues.  A few days ago I gave it a really good wash.  I even covered the intake and sprayed the engine down lightly.  This was the first mow since the wash, but I have been towing with it.

I'm stumped for now, and every search I've done says check the switch and belt path.  I don't think the carb is "perfect", it could probably use a little cleaning and tuning, but it's not that bad, it doesn't hunt, but it doesn't throttle up as smoothly as my other machines.  It takes a second to steady out the rpm as you move the throttle.  3200 seems be the sweet spot, above that it is less steady.  It's a Kohler Magnum 18, M18QS.

• boyscout862 and laurarg3 have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 07:58 AM

How do the wires look going to the clutch? Sure sounds like the bath changed something.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,476 Thanks
  • 3,371 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 08:02 AM

Check the fuel flow, sometimes they will run with not much load on a weak fuel pump or blocked line, but when the demand for power goes up they can't keep up. Ran into that with my 1920 Ultima, weak pump.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 VillageGreenDeere OFFLINE  

VillageGreenDeere
  • Member No: 62247
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 08:17 AM

Toppop52, Does the PTO with deck and mule drive all set up and engaged but tractor at a near stand still apply more load to the engine than simply pushing the "go lever" forward quickly on a hill from a stand still?  or pulling a heavy trailer?  

What about air leaks?  the gas lines aren't looking great.

I like your idea, because something tells me this is fuel related.  But the "all of sudden' factor tells me that Cat385B might be right in saying the bath did something.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 08:47 AM

Check for water in the fuel, vent of the gas cap, fuel flow to the carb, and maybe it just needs to dry out. Check the oil level because that should have low oil level shutdown. Good Luck, Rick

• Trav1s said thank you

#6 wcox202 OFFLINE  

wcox202
  • Member No: 71750
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 08:55 AM

Make sure the seat bypass that was done is a very good connection

#7 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,476 Thanks
  • 3,371 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 04:58 PM

It's easy to check fuel flow if you have a clear filter, it should be half full or more.