4 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 05:03 PM

Buddy of mine bought a husky tractor. It's an mtd looks exactly like the yard man dad bought years ago. Gear shift in the center for forward and reverse and beside that is a lever for gears 1 thru 7(?)

The front wheel bearings are shot the wheels are flopping on the spindle all that's hold them in place is the nut.

What can be done? I haven't pulled it apart but I fear it may be too late to salvage the spindles and rims

Are they sleeves or bearings?
  • KennyP and laurarg3 have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 05:41 PM

In the Manuals Section is an really good set of 3 MTD manuals. Check them for the info you need. I have a bunch of old MTD LTs that I will be stripping and junking. Maybe I can help. Good Luck, Rick

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 05:55 PM

Buddy of mine bought a husky tractor. It's an mtd looks exactly like the yard man dad bought years ago. Gear shift in the center for forward and reverse and beside that is a lever for gears 1 thru 7(?)

The front wheel bearings are shot the wheels are flopping on the spindle all that's hold them in place is the nut.

What can be done? I haven't pulled it apart but I fear it may be too late to salvage the spindles and rims

Are they sleeves or bearings?

Sounds like my old MTD Ranch King. Front wheels had plastic sleeves that were greasable. Never could figure that out!

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 06:21 PM

Had plastic bushes also in MTD. My Speedex have 1" axles and metal bushings, but are bad many times when getting them. Problem for those is the wheel is only the standard 1-3/8" hub and no bearing for those then. I did get bushings from Mc-master.com that worked, but are hardened ones and little pricey. I also just bought some wheels today that had 1" bore bearings in them, BUT the hub on wheels are much larger also to accept them. They even have races in them for the bearings I believe. Just pull a wheel and SEE what's there. Measure axle diam and hub of wheel sizes and go from there. IF you have just 3/4" axles, bearings in many stores for those, but a 1" axle is going to need bushings as noted.

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 07:02 PM

Thanks. I'll pull it apart tomorrow and see what I can see. Tractor is at the camp. I hope I can figure something out