• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 09:53 PM

Hello everyone. So with summer upon us and my job requiring me to work outside in the heat im always looking for ways to stay cool. I seen an ad on tv for Duluth trading company. I was looking at their clothing line called armachillo and seen that being physically active in the heat its supposed to help keep you cool. I was also looking at their fire hose work pants. As i was browsing that section i seen that the pants were water resistant which is a great thing to have. They were also stretchy which is great for having freedom of movement and also help keep you cool. And having triple seamed stitches. So with all that being said, does anyone have experience with this company and would you recommend them? Im curious i know theyre a little on the expensive side but im looking for anything to help me work easier and more efficient. Thanks for your help!  :wave:

• boyscout862, BTS and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#2 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 09:58 PM

I wear their cargo jeans, they are expensive but they last me well over a year or so, so it's cheaper in the long run. I do a lot of on my knees work and also work around a lot of fence and they don't tare easy and if they to get snagged they don't continue to tare.

I had their T-shirts and wasn't to impressed for what they cost. They just tor like all the others. But I highly recommend their pants!

Good luck, hope this helps!

• Alc, Cvans, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 10:02 PM

I used to get their catalogs and they do have unusual stuff. NOW see ads on TV once in awhile too. I would think Fire hose pants would be very good for wear, but heavy and surely not any cooler wouldn't think. I'm not familiar with the other cool clothes you mention. I do like there Ball Room Jeans idea and the longer T's and More room underwear and even the shirts with a little more give in arm pits and such. Lots of stuff for Big Guys. I'm NOT that, and haven't tried any of those items. I think they all look well made and are pricey, guess one would have to try them to see how they are.

• boyscout862 and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#4 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 10:06 PM

Never tried them, but trying to apply some logic to it.. if they dont let water in, they wont let water out. Once you start sweating, the humidity will soon get to 100%. Evaporative cooling works via the difference between the dry bulb and the wet bulb temp. With DB=WB, sweating will do you no good, not to mention no air flow. Not sure how the shirts work, but if the lower half is in Panama, I dont think the top half being in Canada will do you any good

Edited by tater195, June 13, 2015 - 10:08 PM.

• Alc, boyscout862 and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 10:20 PM

I've worked outside especially in summer for many years. I've come to prefer my old summer weight Army camis. They are light, loose, tough,a nd cool(temperature). It looks warm but seems to be a double evaporation( T shirt and then cami). It is also a great sun block and the best insect preventer. Shirts and trousers tend to run about $5 each at fleamarkets which makes them a great bargain. Push water and sports drinks that you keep cold too. A full brimmed hat or hard hat can help alot. It should be white and sit high. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, June 13, 2015 - 10:28 PM.

• Alc and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,751 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 10:29 PM

For a shirt that's cool in the hot sun, try Under Armor.

image.jpg

#7 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 08:43 AM

I have a couple pair of the fire hose pants. they are almost 5 years old this month as they were a fathers day gift from my daughter. I wear them working in the woods with the chain saw and winter mostly. I didn't find them to hot during the summer to work in either but felt I didn't need the heaviness when working the bees.

They are American made so that is part of the cost also. I have a nearly new pair of Wranglers that have a hole in the thigh on the right leg. My dog jumped up and her nail made the hole, really poor quality compared to the fire hose stuff.

:D   Al

• Dieselcubmike and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#8 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 09:02 AM

I was planning on trying there line too. good to know about the pants. I presently wear the lightweight carhart cotton duck pants and i am looking to replace them.  I was looking into the shirts too. I guess buying just one of each to try them out is in order. 

• Dieselcubmike and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 11:14 AM

I use the Fire Hose Overalls for several years & really like them. They do seem to outlast most other overalls. I still wear my first pair that have some patches on the front but they are at least 10 years old. The thing that got me started with Duluth Trading was the Bucket Boss items.

Charlie

• Dieselcubmike and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#10 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,081 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 07:41 PM

Never tried them, but trying to apply some logic to it.. if they dont let water in, they wont let water out

I have a pair of water proof bibs from cabellas. They are amazing. Don't sweat in them at all. Some kind of breathable stuff that's still water proof.

Buddy has these sims waders that are the same way. Completely water proof but you don't sweat in them at all.

Magic fabric.

#11 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 10:08 PM

I have a pair of water proof bibs from cabellas. They are amazing. Don't sweat in them at all. Some kind of breathable stuff that's still water proof.

Buddy has these sims waders that are the same way. Completely water proof but you don't sweat in them at all.

Magic fabric.

I put some water proofing stuff on my work boots once. My feet sweat so bad, I had to quit wearing them. Dont remember what it was, some kind of spray stuff. I buy water proof boots now and pitch them when they start leaking. They still dont get as hot as they did when I put the spray crap on them

Edited by tater195, June 14, 2015 - 10:10 PM.

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#12 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 09:17 PM

Thanks all for the input! Im think im gonna go out on a limb and maybe get one pair of pants and a shirt and try them out and go from there  :thumbs:

• Alc and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#13 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,081 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 09:18 PM

Report back and let us know how they go

#14 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-