• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bobrobert1993 OFFLINE  

bobrobert1993
  • Member No: 71907
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 11:47 AM

I heve a 682 IH cub cadet with a 17 HP kohler engine.  When I hook up the battery to start (12 V car battery), life is good, but when I disconnect the big 12V battery, she dies.  If I quickly reconnect, life is good again.  Not charging, but why? could it be the the voltage regulator rectifier? when I use a test light, all three terminals are hot!

• laurarg3 said thank you

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 12:30 PM

Welcome to the forum! You will need to check the charging with a volt meter. The 3 prong regulator requires battery voltage at the center terminal to operate. The 2 outside terminals should show 26-30v AC across them and the center should show 13-14v DC. with the engine running and battery voltage when not running.

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,692 Thanks
  • 8,886 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 08:27 PM

Response from bobrobert1993:

Welcome to the forum! You will need to check the charging with a volt meter. The 3 prong regulator requires battery voltage at the center terminal to operate. The 2 outside terminals should show 26-30v AC across them and the center should show 13-14v DC. with the engine running and battery voltage when not running.

DougT, with engine off, got 13.something volts across all three terminals. When running got 13 something volts across all three terminals. I guess that the stater is bad or is there another area to check first? Thank you for you assistance. robert

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 08:41 PM

Next thing to check is unhook the 2 outer wires. With power on the center terminal you should get 0 volts on the outside terminals. If you do, the diodes are shorted. If its all in one plug you can use a jumper wire to put voltage on the center term. Use the ohm meter across the 2 outer terms. It should show continuity and real low ohms. maybe 1-5. check each side to ground and it should show no continuity to ground. then put the meter on AC volts, start the engine, and measure the voltage across the terminals and you should see 26-30 volts. i'd say the regulator is bad but you need to check the rest of the system so you don't ruin a new one.

• switchman said thank you