• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 10:41 PM

Since we bought this place 4 years back, our front lawn started having, for lack of works, polka dots.  First year, our grass is green but not a real bright green.  There started out to be 2-3 spots, 8-12 inches in diameter that is a bright, or deeper (?) green.  I would love our whole yard to be that green.  This year there is probably 10-12 or so dark green spots.  It actually looks intentional looking out at it if I did not know better.  Feed 3 times a year, spring blend, summer blend, then a fall blend.  I water as needed, but this year I have not had to, yet.  I'm always used a weed and feed, seems to work, though it does not kill off all dandy lions, it gets the majority of them.  Hardy little buggers!  Last fall I seeded hoping to have more/better grass this year, seems like it was a waste.  Same grass, same dark green spots, etc. 

Any idea on what would cause these polka dots?  I've checked, it looks like it's the same grass that is in the spots as the rest of the yard.  If it were not dark out I would post a pic of what I'm talking about.

There's also a big spot the previous owners had a large above ground pool in.  Took myself and a neighbor a couple days to dig out all the sand and some of the soil under that to get rid of the chlorine from the pool.  Dumped in 10 yards of top soil and smoothed it out.  Grass is growing there, but not well.  It's a rough spot to move, well, beats my back up pretty good.  I bought a roller and filled it with water, shortly after a hard rain I rolled this around on top of it for a while.  It got rid of a lot of the roughness, but it's still there.  May need to spread some more topsoil and re-level it some, then roll it again then reseed?  This area is right by a big pine tree also.

We do have lots of pine trees on our property, will this mess with the soil alot?  I removed a huge pine tree, removed the stump and put in some soil to fill the hole.  It does seem the seed has finally started growing there but not as much as I had hoped.  That was some Scotts treated shade seed as a big maple tree shades the area most the day.

I'm starting to see a theme here?  Pine trees play heck with soil?   Don't think that's causing my polka dots, but?

Edited by FrozenInTime, June 12, 2015 - 10:43 PM.

• hamman, JD DANNELS, ROBKa and 1 other said thanks

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 12:19 AM

Not sure on Polka Dots, but how about rings??  Once in awhile I find dark rings of various diameters in yard. Talking 6 to 10 ones. I think from Aliens landing there one time or even recently but not known, ha!

• hamman, WNYTractorTinkerer and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#3 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,865 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 12:21 AM

Darker green spots kind of sound like someone/thing has contributed extra nitrogen. Has the local wildlife been crossing the lawn and making a contribution? Pines/evergreens can make the soil acidic, not the best thing for grass. From what I've observed of your part of the country, (I used to farm near Weyburn, Sask.) it can be pretty dry down there. Shade coupled with a relatively dry climate makes it tough for tame grasses to thrive without extra watering. Just a few ideas off the top of my head, hope they help.
  • hamman, boyscout862, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#4 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 12:21 AM

have any pics of the dots? Sounds like a wild seed. Told that once that seeds will spread from other kinds of grass and will grow in the area. Don't know for sure but sounds different.                                                                                                                                                                                                Roger

• FrozenInTime said thank you

#5 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,865 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 12:27 AM

Rings could be fungal--- Fairy Ring mushrooms. Edible but not choice, lol. Again, don't ask me how I know    :smilewink:  :(

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 05:20 AM

I've got three spots in my south lawn where the grass is lush, tall and dark green. I figure its from contributions by the deer that come through.

Sounds like your yard needs more nutrients and lime(or ashes from a wood stove). The comercial fertilizers don't seem to last very long. I try to collect up a pile of horse manure and let it composte for a couple of years. Then screen it on a 1/2" screen and spread the screened composte over the lawn in June every 5 or so years. It has been more than that for me because my truck is broke down. Good Luck, Rick

• KennyP, oldedeeres and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 06:51 AM

I have a similar situation here in SW Iowa. Bought the property about 15 years ago and the area which is now lawn was over grown with weeds and grass. Got it mowed down that fall and the next spring was looking good. Then the large half circle, about 10 feet across and a strip about 8" wide of dark green grass showed up. This grass grows faster in that area also. Comes back ever spring in the same place. On into the fall it is hardly noticeable.

The area we bought was an old farm stead with a small house that was still on the property, but vacant for several years. We located the old septic tank which is 30 - 40 feet away from the grass half ring. The old orange burg outlet line was found when we run the line for the new system, which ran the opposite direction to a bank and emptied onto open ground. (A common practice 60 years ago) The old tank has not been used since before we bought the place but the half ring still shows up every spring so that has nothing to do with it. A real odd happening but not loosing any sleep over it. Just mow right on over it with the rest of the lawn.
  • oldedeeres and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 08:01 AM

Pine needles = acidic soil. If the PH isn't in the proper range the grass can't get the nutrients it needs from the soil. Try getting the soil tested for PH. You may need to add lime.  When under stress it is more susceptible to diseases and pests. We have something called cinch bugs here. They make roundish dead areas in your lawn. They eat the root system and you can't see them from the top. 

• boyscout862, oldedeeres, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#9 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 10:03 AM

Not the best pic, but maybe you can see what I'm talking about.  The extra fertilizer makes sense, I did not think of that.  My yard has lots of field rats in it during the nightime.  Had to put up a tall fence around my garden to help deter the 4-legged destroyers.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG

• hamman, JD DANNELS, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#10 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 10:06 AM

Sounds like a condition golf courses have..  Poa-anna..   I think that's how it is pronounced .???   It's a fungal thing and I'm not sure of the cure...

Might want to test the soil,, or talk to a county agent...                        Good luck anyway              sodi

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 11:55 AM

Is the old septic tank still there? I've seen old steel tanks from the 50s collapse under a car and under a tractor. Be carefull and check it out. Good Luck, Rick

#12 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 06:05 PM

Is the old septic tank still there? I've seen old steel tanks from the 50s collapse under a car and under a tractor. Be carefull and check it out. Good Luck, Rick

No, house is not that old, this was previously a field.  The tank is behind the house.  Thanks

• boyscout862 said thank you

#13 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,643 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 07:05 PM

Them folks in Norf Dakoota have a pretty dry sense of humor don't they? Ever see a guy walking around with a piece of cardboard with a round hole cut in it?  . . . shaking a paint can?

Now, get serious for a minute. N. Dakota has an Extension Service and they have trained Master Gardeners at the County level who are there to give you free assistance with any yard and garden problems you may have. Just give them a call.

• oldedeeres and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 09:46 AM

Not the best pic, but maybe you can see what I'm talking about.  The extra fertilizer makes sense, I did not think of that.  My yard has lots of field rats in it during the nightime.  Had to put up a tall fence around my garden to help deter the 4-legged destroyers.

Do a Google search for Faiiry Rings, it is caused by fungi and there are ways to treat it.

#15 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 03:16 PM

In South Dakota the dark spots are actually long curving lines in the lawn. Ours almost looked like it was following a tree root but that's not the case.